Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 12:18 PM

35 posts, read 95,968 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone I was just curious but wouldnt consider anywhere then goodyear only because I fell in love there and can't wait to move..more than likely will work downtown. And you are right goodyear has so much to do now evan compared to the 1st time i was there in may 2007
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 12:59 PM

682 posts, read 2,566,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acstr View Post
The other areas even though there are some decent homes in areas like Glendale are so detached and your surrounded by undesirable - unmotivated people.
What a bunch of garbage.

altus2006

Old 01-04-2009, 01:05 PM

682 posts, read 2,566,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcg View Post
We were in that new subdivision in Buckeye west of Surprise 15 minutes down Bell road. Festival Foothills I think it is called. 15 Minutes down Bell road is the key words. That was just to the outskirts of Surprise. It will take an additional 15 to 30 minutes each way just to run out for anything you may need. It's nice out there. Mountain views, secluded. If you work from home, or dont work at all it would be great. Not much else out there but Cactus.
We drove out there and headed back without looking at anything. This is one of the dumbest places I have seen for an over 55 community, although it is not all Senior living. Talk about being in the middle of nowhere, and ugly nowhere too.

Whoever told Pulte to build out there was probably fired by now since they are having a tough time peddling these houses.

altus2006

Old 01-04-2009, 01:30 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,717 times
I live out in Buckeye and all I can say is I'm glad we rented!! There's nothing out here and home prices have suffered dramatically. Going anywhere is a chore and quite frankly, I'm glad we're moving this summer!! The area isn't all that bad and driving to Cali is definitely convenient but there's just nothing out here! Some people may like rural living though and the smell of cow poo. Blech.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 5,142 times
I helped a friend move to Buckeye last year from the DC area. Buckeye, in my opinion is no bargin. The sales tax is much higher than Northern Virginia, there is nothing in Buckeye but a grocery store whose prices tended to be higher than comperable stores in No. Va. Some folks in Buckeye enjoy, I guess, 4 months of extreme Hot and dry weather. Best bet for those yearning to go to Buckeye -LEASE during the cold winter months and get the heck out of Dodge the rest of the year.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:55 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznogo View Post
I helped a friend move to Buckeye last year from the DC area. Buckeye, in my opinion is no bargin. The sales tax is much higher than Northern Virginia, there is nothing in Buckeye but a grocery store whose prices tended to be higher than comperable stores in No. Va. Some folks in Buckeye enjoy, I guess, 4 months of extreme Hot and dry weather. Best bet for those yearning to go to Buckeye -LEASE during the cold winter months and get the heck out of Dodge the rest of the year.
Probably won't be able to find a lease for 4 months and even then, most of us need a job, have children or families we need to care for, or can't afford to follow the sun. We put up with the good and the bad everywhere. Also there is a lot more in Buckeye than a grocery store. And it is only a few miles to Goodyear where there is even more "stuff" and more and more and more and more and then some more (ugh!) will be built in the coming years.

I said in earlier post that Buckeye got ahead of itself, I think. But the future is bright and those who move there early get the "close in" lots and the most appreciation when it finally does take off.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:13 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
I'm not as optomistic as you are on Buckeye - i have friends who are miserable there and visit there frequently

there is definitely more than 1 grocery store - but as far as the metro goes it is definitely a small town

gas & groceries do run a little more expensive there than in goodyear

it's also a solid 10-15 minute drive between goodyear & buckeye (that's if you are getting on and off near the 10 and driving 70mph) ...... really not an easy back and forth

if you want a place with a rural feel, some decent mountain views and base amenities buckeye could still work

i think this will be one of the last areas to see an increase - it's pretty isolated

if you are a homebody who wants a little more land and a little more house for your dollar and have jobs that you can commute to in the area than it can be a great place to live

however, there are a lot of people who bought the growth promise and it's not going to live up to their hopes for a long, long time

Old 01-30-2009, 11:22 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altus2006 View Post
We drove out there and headed back without looking at anything. This is one of the dumbest places I have seen for an over 55 community, although it is not all Senior living. Talk about being in the middle of nowhere, and ugly nowhere too.

Whoever told Pulte to build out there was probably fired by now since they are having a tough time peddling these houses.

altus2006
I agree with you. We took the grand tour and could not wait to get back home.

To the OP I would suggest you stick with Goodyear. The city is shaping up into a very nice one and I think we may even wander down there in the near future. When the economic crap is done, the building that will be projected down that way will be equal to Phoenix.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcg View Post
We were in that new subdivision in Buckeye west of Surprise 15 minutes down Bell road. Festival Foothills I think it is called. 15 Minutes down Bell road is the key words. That was just to the outskirts of Surprise. It will take an additional 15 to 30 minutes each way just to run out for anything you may need. It's nice out there. Mountain views, secluded. If you work from home, or dont work at all it would be great. Not much else out there but Cactus.

yes, IT IS quite nice out here in Festival Foothills, just wished they'd fix that water park faster. Everyone is awesome out here and of course like everywhere else in this country prices have dropped dramatically. Buyers market. Its simply beautiful.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:02 PM

550 posts, read 1,126,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjaye1 View Post
yes, IT IS quite nice out here in Festival Foothills, just wished they'd fix that water park faster. Everyone is awesome out here and of course like everywhere else in this country prices have dropped dramatically. Buyers market. Its simply beautiful.
We are on the other side, Festival Ranch. We have looked at a lot of areas before buying. We choose Festival Ranch because we like the area. And that's where I found the house closest to what I was looking for. Since we are retired it does not matter for us where we live. Shopping is a little bit far but we bought a freezer and we don't need to get out that much. Lot of stuff I can buy through the internet. Before moving here, we lived in Houston and it took also between 15 and 30 minutes to get to my preferred stores. Now if we were still working, we would have thought twice before moving to the middle of nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area