Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,486 times

Advertisements

I am in desperate need of employment. I am a journeyman painter by trade but am willing to do just about anything at this point. Does anyone know of any places that are hiring right now. I have been a painter for over 15 years and can find nothing right now. I am also somewhat experienced in janitorial/custodian work or even basic maintenance and/or landscaping work. I fear an eviction soon if I am unable to find work soon. I am open to doing any kind of job for just about any wage? PLease help if anyone knows of anything? I live in the North Phoenix area?

Last edited by hardbob96; 01-06-2009 at 01:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 02:13 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,277 times
try the local temp agencies?

Old 01-06-2009, 02:33 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,762,672 times
good luck my gf got laid off 2 months ago and can't find anything.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:10 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
I'm confused. People complain about never finding a job, but maybe its more of not accepting a wage level or job type?

Lots of call centers in phoenix always looking for people.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:26 PM

20 posts, read 105,283 times
Are things that bad in Arizona? My husband and I are moving there in June, but I have a job secured (which is why we are moving). However, my husband is in construction (industrial as well as home construction, remodeling, etc.). Is he going to have a hard time finding a job? Also, hardbob96, I saw a couple of days ago that the Veterans Hospital in Tuscon was hiring 3 men for laborers. The pay was decent around $18.00 an hour to start plus benefits. I would try there if you can't find anything else.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:28 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khogue View Post
Are things that bad in Arizona? My husband and I are moving there in June, but I have a job secured (which is why we are moving). However, my husband is in construction (industrial as well as home construction, remodeling, etc.). Is he going to have a hard time finding a job? Also, hardbob96, I saw a couple of days ago that the Veterans Hospital in Tuscan was hiring 3 men for laborers. The pay was decent around $18.00 an hour to start plus benefits. I would try there if you can't find anything else.
construction is brutal here right now. there is some commercial growth under construction, but residential is very slow. Best of luck to you!

Old 01-06-2009, 03:32 PM

20 posts, read 105,283 times
What about warehouse jobs which is what he really wants to do? In Arkansas, the job market is also horrible especially in residental construction. Right now, he works for a company building a waste water treatment plant, but they are don't have any projects in Arizona so he has to go elsewhere .

Old 01-06-2009, 05:05 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
I was working as a sub-contractor for about a year and I was let go 2 weeks ago. In my field (IT), I used to get about a dozen contract or contract-to-hire jobs every week about a year ago, the last 4-5 months, the job market has been really dormant.

The pay in general is really low for jobs out here, at least the most of the jobs in my field appeared to be that way. I have been having hard finding a job that fits me because either the position/qualifications or the pay range is not suitable. I was turning down all contract and contract-to-hire offers when I had a job but now, I will accept just about anything to help me survive till June 09. If I can't find anything decent by June 09 then I am out of here.

House prices are cheap in AZ but so are most employers.

Good Luck to you all who are unemployed and looking for a job!

Old 01-06-2009, 05:29 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardbob96 View Post
I am in desperate need of employment. I am a journeyman painter by trade but am willing to do just about anything at this point. Does anyone know of any places that are hiring right now. I have been a painter for over 15 years and can find nothing right now. I am also somewhat experienced in janitorial/custodian work or even basic maintenance and/or landscaping work. I fear an eviction soon if I am unable to find work soon. I am open to doing any kind of job for just about any wage? PLease help if anyone knows of anything? I live in the North Phoenix area?
So sad, Hardbob . . . anyone capable of composing a post of this quality should not be in need of employment.

Have you considered becoming a Handyman? I know a qualified and honest handyman is in demand down here.

Good Luck

Old 01-06-2009, 06:20 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,232,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
I'm confused. People complain about never finding a job, but maybe its more of not accepting a wage level or job type?

Lots of call centers in phoenix always looking for people.
It's not always that simple, and often the jobs that people seem to assume anyone coming off the street could get don't necessarily even extend a call back to a good person such as the OP.

For all we know he might have applied at call centers or fast food restaurants, but just because he applied there doesn't mean he's guaranteed even an interview. I feel for anyone that is having a tough time getting a job, and certainly hope the OP finds something solid soon. Hang in there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: