Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2007, 08:25 PM

51 posts, read 238,919 times

Advertisements

So, I just got another offer for a teaching position. This time the offer came from the Glendale Elementary District. It seems like a solid district overall, with a lot of lower middle class families. I'm leaning towards taking it because it reminds me of the district that I grew up in. Does anyone have any experience with the district/can anyone provide some input about the district? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 06:58 PM

29 posts, read 105,254 times
Yes, it's a lower income school district. My brother worked at Smith school about 7 years ago but didn't like the administration. It varies from school to school though. I think that they pay fairly well in comparison to others. If I remember correctly, I think their starting pay was higher.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:05 PM

33 posts, read 121,089 times
Good luck on deciding. I was offered a position with Cartwright in Phoenix, Gilbert out side Phoenix and in GA. It is a difficult decision and i am torn between Gilbert, AZ and GWinnett, GA.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:21 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,997,265 times
I'm a former student of this district - I went to Challenger and Mensendick. People from other schools would always say things to me like.. "OH MY GOD. YOU GO WHERE?!"

Anyway. I can't give you an impression of what its actually like to WORK there, as I have no clue. All I can say, is both schools had a few very good teachers. Teachers that actually paid attention and gave alot of one on one communication.

But the thing I noticed, is that these teachers come and go so fast it's unreal. I don't know if theres just alot of pressure on them here, or what, but every year, it was the same thing. New teachers. Oh, yes, quite a few of them stayed. But, what I guess I'm trying to say, is the schools need teachers that don't run at the sound of a higher pay check, but actually stay because they care about the students in the area, and they want to help.

Bleh.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:24 AM

That's terribly ironic because I'm just about to call Cartwright to decline their offer. I don't know about Gwinnett Ga, but I do know that Gilbert schools are AMAZING based on the research that I've done. I think too that I'd rather deal with the Phoenix heat than the Georgia humidity.

I appreciate the feedback about the schools in Glendale. All schools need teachers that are there because of the kids. I sure as heck didn't go into teaching to get rich. I could have become a lawyer and made a lot more money than I ever will as a teacher. Thanks again!

Old 03-13-2007, 10:26 AM

Default hey teacher guy

Hey teacher guy, I am pretty sure I'd like to go with Gilbert. My husband and i are going to go visit before we decide. Are you moving a family as well? Are you going with Glendale? Have you ever been to AZ? We have not so it is important for we get there soon! You should look into Gilbert. They need more teachers.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:27 PM

I'm 23 years old and not tied down at all. I'm packin' up my Pug and moving out there. I really don't know anyone down there, but I'm excited about the adventure that awaits me. Now's the time to go for an adventure like this, before I get old and have a family. I'm leaning towards Glendale because it reminds me of the district that I grew up in. I think that I am going to call Gilbert tomorrow, because I filled out their online application but they've only posted one Elementary opening thus far. So, I'm thinking that maybe if I talk to an HR person over the phone, instead of waiting for more jobs to be posted, that I might be more successful. I've never been to Az, but I'm planning to fly down for a couple days, a couple weeks before I move, to find an apt and check things out. I'm moving May 1st regardless of what happens. I can't wait!

Old 03-13-2007, 08:29 PM

Wow! i would feel the same if i were single but i have to be more cautious with a family. The recruiters in Gilbert are Jane Hecker, Dale Lunt and Ron Izzett. Those are the ones listed in the out of state packet but i know of Jane for sure ( who i interviewed with). They are looking for all levels, all areas and spec. ed. all area. They grabbed me right way because of my spec. ed. endorsments. Please let me know what it is like when you get there. We can't make it out till after spring break. There is an in state fair coming up at GVSU in April. if you are interested you can check the website.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:51 AM

With a special ed endorsement, you should be able to choose wherever you'd like. You're in a great spot! Thanks for all of the info! I really appreciate it. I've got until April 1 to take Glendale's offer, so either way, things are going to happen quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area