Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 03:37 PM

216 posts, read 909,981 times

Advertisements

"We are not looking at having the "best of the best", we just want a nice/safe neighborhood with good schools. We have seen pretty nice homes between 1600-2200 sq. ft. with a nice pool, for under 400K in Scottsdale? Why are so many people claiming you have to be rich to afford it there? I do not see it?"

Here is my post before your reply. Where do I come across snobby? It looks like the exact opposite to me! Also I think I stated the opposite of what you claim I addressed (about other's not being able to afford Scottsdale).

Old 03-14-2007, 03:41 PM

"What I forgot is that I looked up that zip this week for under $350 not $400, so that makes a difference. I found 50 homes under $400k."

Well I am just glad you cleared that up because I was getting very confused! I've heard from other people on here that you just cannot find anything decent for that price, but I was looking up all kinds of homes. Again, we do not want or need anything fancy, just a nice family friendly neighborhood with good schools. Safety would be nice too.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:23 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Girl View Post
My hubby would be making over 100K a year, however, we do not want to spend over 400K on a home! What's the point? We are not looking at having the "best of the best", we just want a nice/safe neighborhood with good schools. We have seen pretty nice homes between 1600-2200 sq. ft. with a nice pool, for under 400K in Scottsdale? Why are so many people claiming you have to be rich to afford it there? I do not see it?
The problem is that it's hard to take how someone is speaking. I hate communicating through writing as sometimes things are taken differently than intended. To me, the statement above sounded kinda snobby. I'm looking through the eyes of many who can't afford a house that is $400k, which is a lot of people. You said you can't understand why people say you have to be rich to live there, well, for many people making over $100k is being rich. Maybe it's different from where you're coming from (like CA, or NY). That's all.

Also, maybe some people wouldn't say the homes under $400k are even nice. Unfortunately we all have our opinions and perceptions with what's nice and what's not. I say take anything that is in your range in North Scottsdale. It's a great place to live!

Old 03-14-2007, 04:35 PM

Well I apologize if I came off "snobby" that was not my intention, and I honestly want to avoid those pockets. We grew up with nothing, my hubby and I both were raised with single parents, and we "appreciate" all we have in life. I had stated that above comment because I had thought the average home price in the Phoenix area was in the high 200's, so I was surprised to find Scottsdale at those prices being it was the "more expensive" part of Phoenix. That was my only reason behind that comment. Being in the real estate business, I would have thought you would be the last person to judge someone off their income? After this convo, I will reconsider Scottsdale. Not my type of lifestyle.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:38 PM

416 posts, read 2,510,300 times
Default Check out North Phoenix? Safe but not way overpriced.

The more affordable homes in Scottsdale, if you notice zip codes 85250-85257, they are in South Scottsdale. There are crime issues and commute is horrible. North Scottsdale, less crime but nasty commute...what I have to deal with.

With your income, you should be able to get a nice home in North Phoenix/Paradise Valley area. I would recommend this as a perfect place. You would be near to major freeways - 51, 17 and 101. Hopefully will be more bearable with the commute. Crime is not too bad in that area and school systems are great.

I know a lot of people in North Scottsdale who make 100k or more but the homes are outragiously overpriced from the speculative damage done from the hot market. Arizona got hit hard and Scottsdale was the worst. North Phoenix should be safe. Have lots of friends who live there and are really happy.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:53 PM

North Phoenix and NorthEast Phx (just next to the zip 85254, more like 85032) are good places. The N.Phx/PV is probably PV mall area and not town of PV. It has some pockets of rundown areas, but also some great places. Just driving around anywhere you can will be your best bet, although it may take you a while to see a lot.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:24 AM

Can you tell me if the commute time is better in North Phoenix (Paradise Valley) than if we lived in South Tempe? He would be commuting to E. Thomas Rd. I've heard horror stories about the traffic so I would hate for my husband to be stuck in it! So basically just avoid the West side of Phoenix correct?

Old 03-15-2007, 11:51 AM

What's nice about the North Valley, is being near the SR 51 (which will take him to Thomas). When he goes in early, he should not have issues with traffic. Coming home will be a chore, but if you only have to travel north on one freeway it's not *too* bad. I think it's a great area to live to commute to central phx. It's convenirent to the airport as well. You can check out areas east of 42nd st, that will put you in nicer areas. Probably being as south as Shea and north past Bell. If you look at a map (working north), you find Shea, Cactus, Thunderbird, Greenway, Bell, Union Hills. Each is a mile apart. From 42nd st to Tatum (which equals 48th st). That whole area is pretty decent. There are some nice pockets west of there, but it's hard to point them out among the "not so nice areas" that surround them.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:51 PM

416 posts, read 2,510,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Girl View Post
Can you tell me if the commute time is better in North Phoenix (Paradise Valley) than if we lived in South Tempe? He would be commuting to E. Thomas Rd. I've heard horror stories about the traffic so I would hate for my husband to be stuck in it! So basically just avoid the West side of Phoenix correct?

According to mapquest, you would save 4 minutes if you lived in tempe. You will not need to run into west phoenix. There are many alternative routes. Tempe is a completely different environment than Paradise Valley/N.Phoenix area. Tempe is more of a "college town" and has horrible traffic because of the ASU events, etc. PV and NPhoenix is more of a surburban family lifestyle, very spread out and has quiet places to live.

For North Pheonix, the zip codes I'm thinking of are as follows:

85054, 85028, 85050, 85032

Greenway Hayden, E. Shea boulevard, E. Cactus Roads are especially ideal. Other roads are great but try to avoid living on Bell Road.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:19 PM

Yeah, I noticed on maqquest that it was a bit closer, but I wasn't sure if the traffic was more backed up. You could be 10 min away, and it could take you 25 min! That's what we are trying to avoid (the bad roads for commuting). We want the more suburban lifestyle like you mentioned, but also a good amount to do in our area. This is why we thought Tempe, we had heard that they always put on fun events by the lake in the summer. So in your opinion, you would say N.Phoenix (the zips you posted) would be a safer/better area to raise kids in? Thanks for that info, getting ideas from people who actually live there is beneficial. I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_singlemother View Post
According to mapquest, you would save 4 minutes if you lived in tempe. You will not need to run into west phoenix. There are many alternative routes. Tempe is a completely different environment than Paradise Valley/N.Phoenix area. Tempe is more of a "college town" and has horrible traffic because of the ASU events, etc. PV and NPhoenix is more of a surburban family lifestyle, very spread out and has quiet places to live.

For North Pheonix, the zip codes I'm thinking of are as follows:

85054, 85028, 85050, 85032

Greenway Hayden, E. Shea boulevard, E. Cactus Roads are especially ideal. Other roads are great but try to avoid living on Bell Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area