U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-08-2007, 08:29 PM

55 posts, read 242,914 times
Right now we own a brazilian restaurant catering mostly to a big lunch crowd. Our restaurant is more a fast food type. It's by pound. Huge buffet bar with hot and cold brazilian dishes along with our rotisserie style bbq grill (flown in from Brazil) cooking approx. 10 different cuts of meats. U pick your meat(s) of choice and they are freshly cut. A great meal for under $10. Now we don't know if we are going to stick to that concept or depending on location we might open up a sit down style where we have a buffet table offering many types of hot and cold dishes but the meat gets sliced by the meat cutters at your request at your table. And of course we will then offer alcohol. My husband has experience with both types of concepts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-28-2007, 09:16 AM

20 posts, read 47,950 times
It is a good idea to stay clear of Central Phoenix. There is grafitti everywhere, drugs, gangs, some muggers too. If you can get off the I-10 or the I-17 anywhere there is a big chance it is not as nice as it could be. Try somewhere off the 51 or the 101.

Last edited by Alex2; 03-28-2007 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: Forgot something

Unread 03-28-2007, 10:42 AM

8,119 posts, read 9,626,304 times
You might also check our west valley areas while you are visiting. N. Peoria on 83rd / Bell has a restaurant row and has a huge lunch crowd daily. Weekends it is impossible to get into any of them without an hour or more wait. When spring training is here (stadium right across the street) you have even longer waits. We need more eating spots up here. There are lots of new commercial buildings going up there that will have many new employees looking for lunch. Don't pass it up, might be your place. Low crime, nice housing options.

Unread 03-28-2007, 11:12 AM

132 posts, read 355,996 times
I stand by my original post, put it downtown!! All of the small restaurants downtown have at least a 1 hour wait almost any night of the week. Try to get into Pizzeria Bianco on a Saturday night, good luck!! The new ASU campus will have many hungry students looking for authentic places to eat. A small restaraunt up in the North valley burbs will sadly be ignored do to the huge presence of chain restaurants that dominate the area. Another good place would be Tempe.

Unread 03-28-2007, 11:35 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 3,476,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
I agree with many on here. Downtown Phoenix has a lot of potential and the ASU move downtown, along with the light rail may be the spark that sets it off. But, at this point, downtown is still dead. Even compared to other cities that are traditionally sprawling (Atlanta, Dallas, Houston), Phoenix's downtown seems small and barren.

It's sad but true. Hopefully that will change, but at this point I am afraid that is mainly the case. It may take a few years for that to change. I know the city government is really trying to push downtown development. But, given the amount of new sprawling edge development going in, I am still skeptical about infill development in the near future, if ever.
Unlike Cj81, I really don't know squat about what's happening downtown. So, this is just a general statement (yea, I'm kinda bored right now). Irwin, everything you say may be true, but unless there are some "pioneers" willing to take a chance in the area, nothing will ever happen. It won't ever have any bearing on my life, but for folks like Cj81, I hope it does happen and much sooner than later.

Unread 03-28-2007, 11:47 AM

1,486 posts, read 2,830,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
Unlike Cj81, I really don't know squat about what's happening downtown. So, this is just a general statement (yea, I'm kinda bored right now). Irwin, everything you say may be true, but unless there are some "pioneers" willing to take a chance in the area, nothing will ever happen. It won't ever have any bearing on my life, but for folks like Cj81, I hope it does happen and much sooner than later.
Pioneers are great, but by themselves, nothing will happen. Government policy must shift to assist those pioneers, otherwise their prospects are dim.

As an analogy, think of the settlers moving to the West in the 1800's. This didn't happen in a vacuum. There were HUGE government subsidies both direct and indirect to encourage and help people move west. The same things needs to happen now with downtown (of course on a much smaller scale). We have spent decades with government policies to encourage the type of sprawling development we have here. If there really is to be a change, we need a shift away from this policy. Otherwise, downtown is going nowhere.

P.S. I'm bored as well.

Unread 03-28-2007, 01:10 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 3,476,596 times
Quote:
Pioneers are great, but by themselves, nothing will happen. Government policy must shift to assist those pioneers, otherwise their prospects are dim.

As an analogy, think of the settlers moving to the West in the 1800's. This didn't happen in a vacuum. There were HUGE government subsidies both direct and indirect to encourage and help people move west. The same things needs to happen now with downtown (of course on a much smaller scale). We have spent decades with government policies to encourage the type of sprawling development we have here. If there really is to be a change, we need a shift away from this policy. Otherwise, downtown is going nowhere.

P.S. I'm bored as well.
Well, the invitation for a beer (or coffee) is still open

Unread 04-04-2007, 12:47 PM

I'll definitely look into that! Thanks!

Unread 04-04-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms973 View Post
I'll definitely look into that! Thanks!
To add to my previous post - North Peoria and/or Tempe area for new restaurant.

Unread 04-04-2007, 09:36 PM

56 posts
Quote:
But, at this point, downtown is still dead. Even compared to other cities that are traditionally sprawling (Atlanta, Dallas, Houston), Phoenix's downtown seems small and barren.
I'm not sure about Houston and Dallas, but I do know that there is much more occuring in downtown Atlanta than in Phoenix, although most of Atlanta's entertainment is in Midtown, Buckhead, Little Five Points, and Atlantic Station where there is even more happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area