Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,003 times

Advertisements

My house is 1356sq ft with a 3 1/2 ton Lennox system that is 14 years old. Due to the problems with the slab floor they are recommending a new 3 1/2 ton replacement with installation of all overheasd ducts.. Price $12000.00!! Nothing wrong with my current system. Can't they change this system to overhead ducts for half the price of a new system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 09:12 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRINCE7106 View Post
My house is 1356sq ft with a 3 1/2 ton Lennox system that is 14 years old. Due to the problems with the slab floor they are recommending a new 3 1/2 ton replacement with installation of all overheasd ducts.. Price $12000.00!! Nothing wrong with my current system. Can't they change this system to overhead ducts for half the price of a new system?
I think I would run away from these people. We used Action Air and got a 4 ton Trane for $5,300 including tax and installation. Get a few more bids and since your unit is still working, take your time.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:56 AM

3 posts, read 5,377 times
i agree with most of the comments,but yes for 1300sq ft...a 3ton system should be fine(also have to consider how well the house is insulated). And the price sounds decent...but it definately would not hurt to get a few FREE ESTIMATES and also be leary about the prices aswell. even though you might get a cheaper quote....doesnt always mean to take the cheapest quote because there are alot of companys out there that will underbid everybodys price. Those are typically "fly-by-night" companys that arent gonna be there the next time you call them. So,like the others have said...get other prices and maybe go with one of the cheaper quotes but do the research and verify theyre credentials. Good luck.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince7106 View Post
my house is 1356sq ft with a 3 1/2 ton lennox system that is 14 years old. Due to the problems with the slab floor they are recommending a new 3 1/2 ton replacement with installation of all overheasd ducts.. Price $12000.00!! Nothing wrong with my current system. Can't they change this system to overhead ducts for half the price of a new system?
--------that price is quite high. I dont know what part of the country ure in but that i would estimate that job for more like 4,000-6,000. And thats just a rough est without looking at the house at all. But 12,000 is highway robbery. Im sure you can get a better deal with another contractor. Good luck

Old 04-26-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince7106 View Post
my house is 1356sq ft with a 3 1/2 ton lennox system that is 14 years old. Due to the problems with the slab floor they are recommending a new 3 1/2 ton replacement with installation of all overheasd ducts.. Price $12000.00!! Nothing wrong with my current system. Can't they change this system to overhead ducts for half the price of a new system?
--------that price is quite high. I dont know what part of the country ure in but that i would estimate that job for more like 4,000-6,000. And thats just a rough est without looking at the house at all. But 12,000 is highway robbery. Im sure you can get a better deal with another contractor. Good luck

Old 04-26-2013, 12:04 PM

687 posts, read 4,404,356 times
Brand is not of importance as much as someone doing a proper install!

When I change a rootop unit out, I replace the stand, new transition to go between existing elbow and new unit, new disconnect box (fused), new pvc drain line (painted), new gas flex line, (if applicable). The thermostat wire also gets put inside a weatherproof flexible conduit, quite a few contractors leave the wire exposed on the roof, I dont like it.
The new stand gets screwed to the roof and all duct connections get sealed with 100% clear silicone caulk. Any other kind of sealer, mastic, foil tape, all looks tacky on a nice install.

Also, just because a home has a certain size unit, does not mean that it needs the same size unit again. Replacing windows, adding extra insulation, etc, can contribute to using a smaller unit.

A proper contractor will also do a load calculation, although 400 square feet per ton seems to be the norm for Phoeinx, it is very bad practice to size off of that rule.

My home is 1830 square feet and I just insulated the heck out of our attic and dropped down to a three ton unit, so far very happy with it and looking foward to longer run times and a much more comfortable home.
A unit that cycles off and on every 10 to fifteen minutes, is not an efficient unit. Nothing will wear a compressor out faster than constant cycling off and on.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:57 PM
AZM

95 posts, read 300,393 times
You are indeed getting ripped off. As you stated this is for the roof bracket and disposal of your old unit. Most the time your original roof bracket will work with a new package unit. I have never heard of someone getting charged for disposal of the old unit. The old unit is sold of stripped because the have value. The freon is recovered and used unless you have a compressor burnout, the copper from the coils gets sold as scrap and the same for the copper windings in the electric motors. Most likely you have a 10 seer and though not as efficient as current ratings they are still good equipment. You need to find someone that does this on the side and just ask for a second opinion.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:39 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
This recent info may be helpful to others, but I suspect the OP no longer needs this information, so no need to respond directly to the OP's specific situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area