Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 12:18 PM

430 posts, read 1,410,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
Which I guess in turn is another pet peeve (I'm an angry individual ), since its a state law that markers be set a half mile and 300 feet away from all photo radar cams (stationary and those little SUV's) warning people that they're entering a "Photo Enforcement Zone."

Drivers out here just seem to not pay as much attention on the roads as they do elsewhere. Seems with the cameras, hardly anyone pays attention until its too late.
As far as the fast lane goes, no worry about me poking along in those, I favor the middle lanes, that way you can watch out for jokers to the left and to the right. lol you take you life in your hands out here on these Highways anyway. Be attentive for yourself and also for all the other over sized trucks and SUV's with moms talking on the phone and the kids bounceing in the back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 03:50 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,986 times
If you're paying attention to driving, it's sometimes hard to watch for signs on the side of the road, especially on the freeway, 300ft goes by quick! Most people just learn where the cameras are and slow down, so really they are pointless.

Another thing I hate is when you are making a left turn at a intersection with no arrow, the light turns green, and some people just sit right where they were before the light turned green! They don't move up into the intersection like they are supposed too!

Old 01-22-2009, 04:46 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Another thing I hate is when you are making a left turn at a intersection with no arrow, the light turns green, and some people just sit right where they were before the light turned green! They don't move up into the intersection like they are supposed too!
That could be ex-Californians. IIRC, almost every lighted interchange in Los Angeles/Orange County is controlled as opposed to Phoenix where you're free to turn left whenever you damn well please, so long as the light is green. It took me a little bit of time to adjust to that once I moved here from California.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:49 PM

109 posts, read 214,323 times
When you consider the amount of badmouthing going on here, is it any wonder that there are a bunch of jerks on the road? I have a nice list of pet peeves when it comes to drivers. My biggest one is tailgaters. I hate tailgaters. Is it any wonder that there are so many rear end accidents on the road? When it comes to tailgaters, the closer you get, the slower I go. I have been known to go from 75 to 30 in the fast lane on the freeway because the person inches off my bumper would not back off.

How about those people that pull out right in front of you, or slowly get up to highway speed AFTER they enter the freeway? Then there is Ricky Racer, weaving in and out of stop and go traffic at breakneck speed. Or those, whose lane is ending and refuse to get over until the last second. Some of these guys go right by a vacant space and even drive along the shoulder of the road trying to get ahead of as many other cars as possible. Or they clog up the freeway exit ramp because they are trying to get as far ahead as possible.

One of my favorites, though, is those fools who can't pay attention to where they are going and do such stupid things as stop in traffic until someone in the next lane lets them over, make turns from the wrong lane, blow right through red lights, and refuse to turn right against a red light.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWarrior View Post
When you consider the amount of badmouthing going on here, is it any wonder that there are a bunch of jerks on the road? I have a nice list of pet peeves when it comes to drivers. My biggest one is tailgaters. I hate tailgaters. Is it any wonder that there are so many rear end accidents on the road? When it comes to tailgaters, the closer you get, the slower I go. I have been known to go from 75 to 30 in the fast lane on the freeway because the person inches off my bumper would not back off.

How about those people that pull out right in front of you, or slowly get up to highway speed AFTER they enter the freeway? Then there is Ricky Racer, weaving in and out of stop and go traffic at breakneck speed. Or those, whose lane is ending and refuse to get over until the last second. Some of these guys go right by a vacant space and even drive along the shoulder of the road trying to get ahead of as many other cars as possible. Or they clog up the freeway exit ramp because they are trying to get as far ahead as possible.

One of my favorites, though, is those fools who can't pay attention to where they are going and do such stupid things as stop in traffic until someone in the next lane lets them over, make turns from the wrong lane, blow right through red lights, and refuse to turn right against a red light.
If someone is tailgating you in the left lane, that means you're going too slow. Move out of the way and lean how to drive!

Break checking someone is one of the stupidest things you could do on a freeway, what makes you think you're king of the road and get to make the rules?

Do you pick and choose who you break check? Because if you were to break check me, and I was to hit you, no damage would even be done to my truck (off road bumper), but I guarantee you would be pushed off the freeway, probably into a wall, you have no control getting hit like that.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:04 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,135,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
All those bad drivers moved here from somewhere else and brought their driving habits with them. It's pretty much the same in most large metropolitan areas.

From the AZ Dept of Motor Vehicles driving manual:
Impeding Traffic...
Driving too slowly can be as dangerous as driving
too fast. Remember to drive in the right lane and
allow faster moving vehicles to pass whenever you are
driving slower than traffic around you.

(Driving is a privelege, not a Constitutional right, and with that privelege comes the responsibility of safe and proper driving. That driving privelege can be suspended at any time for unsafe irresponsible driving habits)
driving ABOVE the speed limit is a crime equal to murder and sghould be looked on as such~ driving the speed limit is NEVER impeding traffic~ only those that drive below the speed limit are as dangerous as those who speed~ so those that travel at 50 on Phoenix freeways are approx as dangerous as those that travel those freeways at 75! those that travel on the freeways at 40 are equivilant with those that travel at 80! I have yet to see those travelling on the freeway at 15 mph who are approx as dangerous on them as those that drive 100! And there are a lot of those idiots on Phoenix freeways!

Old 01-22-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
driving ABOVE the speed limit is a crime equal to murder and sghould be looked on as such~ driving the speed limit is NEVER impeding traffic~ only those that drive below the speed limit are as dangerous as those who speed~ so those that travel at 50 on Phoenix freeways are approx as dangerous as those that travel those freeways at 75! those that travel on the freeways at 40 are equivilant with those that travel at 80! I have yet to see those travelling on the freeway at 15 mph who are approx as dangerous on them as those that drive 100! And there are a lot of those idiots on Phoenix freeways!
If you try to 40-50 on the freeway, you are almost guaranteed to get hit by someone, and it is much more dangerous to drive under the speed limit rather than driving over the speed limit.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:21 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
If someone is tailgating you in the left lane, that means you're going too slow. Move out of the way and lean how to drive!
Let's explore your comment above: I am on I-10, speed limit is 75 and I'm doing 82. Let's say you come up on my rear bumper - you are tailgating. Yet, you are saying, I'm going to slow - Hardly.

What I will do is continue at my speed - I'm not going to speed for your benefit. And, if you get too close, I just might do a hard break and watch you go into the median.

BTW - the tailgating you describe is also called, in Arizona Law, aggressive driving, and it is subject to citations and significant fines.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Let's explore your comment above: I am on I-10, speed limit is 75 and I'm doing 82. Let's say you come up on my rear bumper - you are tailgating. Yet, you are saying, I'm going to slow - Hardly.

What I will do is continue at my speed - I'm not going to speed for your benefit. And, if you get too close, I just might do a hard break and watch you go into the median.

BTW - the tailgating you describe is also called, in Arizona Law, aggressive driving, and it is subject to citations and significant fines.
If you are only going 82, then yes, you need to move over, you are blocking the fast lane. The typical speed on the I-10 in the fast lane is 85-95 anyways.

Blocking the fast lane is also illegal, why should you be able to break the law if I can't? You are the one causing the problem by blocking the lane for faster moving drivers.

Why do you think you can cause road rage and get away with it? You aren't better than anyone else, so get the **** out of the way!

Old 01-22-2009, 08:11 PM

559 posts, read 1,464,337 times
Its like people don't realize they are driving in the 5th largest city in the U.S. there is nothing really complain about compared to other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area