Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:45 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times

Advertisements

Hello ladies....Its been nearly 5 months since my beloved pittsburgh steelers played the arizona cardinals & won superbowl 43. The 09 football season is not far off now. The steelers & cards play there 1st pre-season game at heinz field in pitts on thurs, aug 13th. The first quarter (at least) will be a rematch & all the orig players (from SB 43) still on each team will play. Its going to be a exciting pr-season game & please dont be too upset when the steelers win....again. GO STEELERS !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 12:50 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AilaTyler View Post
First off congratulations to the Arizona Cardinals football players and coaching staff. Seeing all the hype on this board makes me sick though! I lived in Arizona for numerous years. I saw many games at Sun Devil Stadium. The MAJORITY of fans in Arizona are such bandwagons. I will admit some true fans do exist. However when the Cowboys come to town there are always more boys fans than Cards fans.

I went to a Giants game in 2003 and the crowd was a joke. Giants fans out did the Cards fans. I respect the Cardinals team for making it to the Super Bowl. But come on people, stick with your team. I am a Broncos fan and from Denver. The city of Denver sticks with the Broncos through good and bad...

It's frustrating seeing a packed house of Cardinals fans on Sunday against the Eagles when that never exists. Do the NFL a favor and stick with the team! Next year is a different year. Lets see how many sell outs and fans you guys have next year.
Likely response from an Eagles fan! It's called sour grapes! I never read this thread. I was at the NFC championship game. This post shows the lack of class of Eagles fans. They threw batteries at Santa Claus at a game and cheered when Michael Irvin was paralyzed on the field. They had a holding cell at Veterans stadium in Philadelphia because fans routinely got into fights there. One person was killed at Veterans stadium because a frustrated fan threw a person over a ledge. The Eagles have arguably the biggest meathead thug fans in the NFL. I would like to see Philadelphia support the Eagles if they had never won championships in the early 60's or been to the Superbowl in 1980.

And prior to Donovan McNabb, Veterans stadium was pretty empty. It doesn't matter if the game was technically sold out if the owners of those tickets don't attend the game or can't sell them to others who attend. It shows the same weak fan support that Cardinals fans are accused. Even Cowboy fans during the Quincy Carter era didn't show up to many games. The point is attendance and loyaly is always tied to winning. It's rather naive of fans of another team to accuse Cardinals fans for being bad when the team has never really won in Arizona.

Let's use Steeler fans as an example. They are extremely loyal and travel well but you can't say the same for the Pirates....or really even the Penguins during the period between Super Mario and Crosby.

Lastly, the metro areas of cities like Philadelphia are much larger than that of Phoenix so naturally when you have more fans, you are more likely to sell more games.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:36 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Quote:
Even Cowboy fans during the Quincy Carter era didn't show up to many games.
Wrong...Dallas has never had problems packing them in. I do not know where you are getting your info from? Even in the Quincy years the Cowboys had more fans at Cardinals games in Tempe then the Cardinals did.

The Cowboys were even packing them in for scrimmages at the Sun Bowl (El Paso) during the lean years...And now the new Cowboys Stadium is going to hold nearly 100,000 fans...And the Cowboys are in lean years right now. Explain that...

As for Eagles fans, they are a dirty bunch but they are very loyal. You cannot even compare Cardinals fans with Eagles or Cowboys fans. There is a reason ESPN listed Cardinals fans as the worse in the NFL. One Superbowl trip does not change that.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Wrong...Dallas has never had problems packing them in. I do not know where you are getting your info from? Even in the Quincy years the Cowboys had more fans at Cardinals games in Tempe then the Cardinals did.

The Cowboys were even packing them in for scrimmages at the Sun Bowl (El Paso) during the lean years...And now the new Cowboys Stadium is going to hold nearly 100,000 fans...And the Cowboys are in lean years right now. Explain that...

As for Eagles fans, they are a dirty bunch but they are very loyal. You cannot even compare Cardinals fans with Eagles or Cowboys fans. There is a reason ESPN listed Cardinals fans as the worse in the NFL. One Superbowl trip does not change that.
Sold out and attendance are two different things. I was in Texas stadium during some of those times and fans simply didn't show up to some of those games. Of course the games are sold out because people don't want to relinquish their season tickets but that doesn't mean they are actually attending the games or not selling tickets to the opposing fans, something I learned all too well when the Steelers visited Dallas a few years ago. When the Cowboys don't play well, the fans don't attend games; they will hold onto their season tickets knowing the team will be competitive again in the future but they are not diehards like Steeler, Packer or Browns fans who attend games regardless of their teams' status

You are right. You can't compare Cardinals fans to Cowboys and Eagles fans because unlike those cities, the Cardinals only moved here in 1988 and played in an outdoor college stadium with metal bleachers and had a cheap owner who didn't invest in the team. And unlike Dallas and Philly, Phoenix is a transient city filled with Bears, Cowboy, Packers and Vikings fans or fans who grew up watching either the Cowboys or the Niners when Arizona didn't have a team. Do you really expect all these fans to suddenly become die hard Cardinals fans. Since the team finally got a normal stadium and invested in the team, the fans have been going to the games so it wasn't just this year. Since they have moved to Glendale, they have been sold out. Winning teams breed loyal fans. Ask any Maverick fan what it was like prior to Mark Cuban and they will tell you the scene was dead especially when the Cowboys won more games than the Mavericks one year. It's rather foolish and short sighted to put down Cardinals fans given the circumstances.

You were wrong about the Cowboys attendance at the Cardinals games this year. I was at that game. We feared 40-50% of the stadium was going to be filled with Cowboy fans and it was closer 30-35%. The Cardinals fans overwhelmed the Cowboy fans this year. It's wishful thinking on your part that it was half Cowboy fans...not even close. You are also wrong about Cowboy fans not selling their tickets. When the Steelers played the Cowboys in Dallas in 2004 when Testaverde was QB, over 35% of the stadium was filled with Steeler fans. Dallas fans are not like Steeler, Packer, Browns or Raiders fans. They have no sense of tailgating and are mostly corporate fans that will sell to the highest bidder if their team isn't a contender. Jerry Jones designed the new stadium to hold 100,000 to help lure events like a Superbowl or a future Olympics; it's also to pacify all the corporations in Dallas who will purchase seats just to give to clients which is why the tailgating at Texas stadium was lousy because most of the ticket holders are corporate white collar tickets. The most diehard fans don't even live in Dallas based on my experience. They live in places like Phoenix or po-dunk little towns all over the United States.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 06-26-2009 at 02:25 PM..

Old 06-26-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa
I'm sorry but you are way out of touch with how things are back in the old hood. The Cardinals have sold out every game since moving to Glendale and every game - including the Cowboys - has many, many more Cardinals fans than the opposing group in the stands. The Cards have a huge homefield edge in the won/loss stats. The fans at UoP are loud and solidly pro-AZ unlike your experience at Scum Devil Stadium. For some teams like the Cowboys and Giants, you still see a lot of blue. But the traitors are now outnumbered and outshouted. Maybe next year they will get beat up in the parking lot like a real NFL town.

I do agree with your sentiments though. I lump the transplants who cling to their ways and the teams from "home" in the same group as the illegals who won't learn English and wish both groups would leave.
Well said!

Last edited by azriverfan.; 06-26-2009 at 02:07 PM..

Old 06-26-2009, 02:14 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Sold out and attendance are two different things. I was in Texas stadium during some of those times and fans simply didn't show up to some of those games. Of course the games are sold out because people don't want to relinquish their season tickets but that doesn't mean they are actually attending the games or not selling tickets to the opposing fans, something I learned all too well when the Steelers visited Dallas a few years ago. When the Cowboys don't play well, the fans don't attend games; they will hold onto their season tickets knowing the team will be competitive again in the future but they are not diehards like Steeler, Packer or Browns fans who attend games regardless of their teams' status

You are right. You can't compare Cardinals fans to Cowboys and Eagles fans because unlike those cities, the Cardinals only moved here in 1988 and played in an outdoor college stadium with metal bleachers and had a cheap owner who didn't invest in the team. And unlike Dallas and Philly, Phoenix is a transient city filled with Bears, Cowboy, Packers and Vikings fans or fans who grew up watching either the Cowboys or the Niners when Arizona didn't have a team. Do you really expect all these fans to suddenly become die hard Cardinals fans. Since the team finally got a normal stadium and invested in the team, the fans have been going to the games so it wasn't just this year. Since they have moved to Glendale, they have been sold out. Winning teams breed loyal fans. Ask any Maverick fan what it was like prior to Mark Cuban and they will tell you the scene was dead especially when the Cowboys won more games than the Mavericks one year. It's rather foolish and short sighted to put down Cardinals fans given the circumstances.

You were wrong about the Cowboys attendance at the Cardinals games this year. I was at that game. We feared 40-50% of the stadium was going to be filled with Cowboy fans and it was closer 25-30%. The Cardinals fans overwhelmed the Cowboy fans this year. It's wishful thinking on your part that it was half Cowboy fans...not even close
I was at that game as well. The Cardinals coach (Coach whiz) had to beg Cardinals fans not to sell their tickets to Cowboys fans...That is the current state of Cardinals football. The Cardinals coach having to hit the airwaves and beg...Nice

And without all of us transplants, Phoenix would not be big enough to have an NFL team. So you can thank (or hate) us for bringing you the Cardinals.

Last edited by ibarrio; 06-26-2009 at 02:25 PM..

Old 06-26-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
I was at that game as well. The Cardinals coach (Coach whiz) had to beg Cardinals fans not to sell their tickets to Cowboys fans...That is the current state of Cardinals football. The Cardinals coach having to hit the airwaves and beg...Nice

And without all of us transplants, Phoenix would not be big enough to have an NFL team. So you can thank (or hate) us for bringing you the Cardinals.
Of course he feared it as did I but the reality was far different and only 35% of the stadium was full of Cowboy fans which is pretty good considering how many Cowboy fans live in the valley. That's not so unusual. Any good rivarly will have a good portion of opposing fans sitting in their stadium. Are you saying Michigan fans are bad because 30% of their stadium is filled with Ohio St fans when they play each other? 35% of Texas stadium in 2004 were Steeler fans because the Cowboys sucked back then with Testaverde starting

Where did I say I was blaming the transplants? I just thinks it assinine to compare Cardinals fans to Cowboy fans when it's obvious the Cowboy fans have so many more advantages. It's kind of like comparing the spending habits of Mexicans to Americans. Well obviously, if people have more money, they will spend it. Likewise, if someone's team is older, more established and has a history of winning not to mention having a larger metro population, they will obviously sell out more games have better fans. It's a weak argument on your part and fans like you who criticize the Phoenix fan base! That same city of Dallas with such great football fans had terrible fans with regard to its NBA team until Mark Cuban bought it.. Gee, maybe the fact the Mavericks were a losing team, new to the Dallas area and lacked tradition had something to do with that. And gee maybe their new found popularity had something to do with the fact they got a new stadium, and an owner who invested in the team that caused them to win! Whoa what a revelation!

Last edited by azriverfan.; 06-26-2009 at 02:51 PM..

Old 06-26-2009, 03:02 PM

Speaking about the current state of the Cowboys, since Jerry Jones has taken complete control, the team has imploded. The Cowboys haven't won a playoff game in 10 years. It's sad when your team loses because of stupidity. The Cardinals were losing because of thriftiness but when your owner spends more money on his team than any owner in the NFL and you still can't win one playoff game, that is the definition of failure. The only reason you guys won was because of Jimmy Johnson and the players he drafted but your owner ran him out of town by trying to take credit for it. Jerry just made the worst trade of any sport in 2008...2 first round picks and a third round pick for Roy Williams. That is the current state of the Cowboys...money with no brains
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area