U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-26-2009, 01:19 PM

9,606 posts, read 9,695,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Marijuana is a gateway drug and should not be decriminalized. There are many who start out as older adolescents and young teens marijuana users who progress to cocaine and heroin. If anything, marijuana laws should be tighter. The last thing Arizona needs to do is encourage drug use.
But how can you prove that this is the fault of marijuana? Could this not be attributed to the inherent risk taking nature of some people? Or perhaps our nature to want to try different things? The first time I had sex, it was me on top, but let me tell you, I've progressed to many other positions as an adult. Is missionary a gateway position? I know it sounds silly, but it is about as silly as saying marijuana is a gateway drug.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 01:30 PM

969 posts, read 1,893,799 times
Dude, where's my doritos?

Old 01-26-2009, 01:31 PM

350 posts, read 732,910 times
Marijuana needs to be legalized. The State has declared medical marijuana legal with prescription, card, etc., but it's not legal under federal law. It's ridiculous. It should be legal, let it be governed, get rid of the crazies up in the hills growing and protecting their crop with guns. As far as it being a gateway drug, then cigarettes and alcohol should be considered gateway drugs. Cigarettes should be outlawed, and marijuana handled like alcohol. Prohibition ended, so should illegal marijuana.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:47 PM

3,971 posts, read 6,247,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
But how can you prove that this is the fault of marijuana? Could this not be attributed to the inherent risk taking nature of some people? Or perhaps our nature to want to try different things? The first time I had sex, it was me on top, but let me tell you, I've progressed to many other positions as an adult. Is missionary a gateway position? I know it sounds silly, but it is about as silly as saying marijuana is a gateway drug.
Are you hinting that the use of marijuana and the curiosity of humans using this drug, to try others, is only a correlation? That in fact it's something else?

I could see that depending on the social environment and and other random factors. i also can't see it as i have never touched any drug beyond liquor and tobacco.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:57 PM

611 posts, read 1,326,753 times
Quote:
Marijuana is a gateway drug and should not be decriminalized. There are many who start out as older adolescents and young teens marijuana users who progress to cocaine and heroin. If anything, marijuana laws should be tighter. The last thing Arizona needs to do is encourage drug use.
I graduated in 1979. That year 50% surveyed reported smoking at least once in the previous month. I would imagine that includes our president. Of all my friends who graduated in my class of 700 none are heroine addicts and though there are a few who did some coke I don't know a single drug addict. A few alcoholics though.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:05 PM

611 posts, read 1,326,753 times
Quote:
Not really. Alcohol and cigarettes aren't gateway drugs for the VAST majority of people who use them. Marijuana is a different story. A higher percentage of people who regularly use marijuana move on to harder drugs. I have a couple of friends who were regular marijuana users who have done cocaine, ectasy, or heroin.

The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) has concluded that marijuana is a gateway drug. If it's backed by scientific research combined with my own experience with people I know, I believe it.
The same folks who tried heroin and other drugs would have tried them even if marijuana didn't exist. It has a lot to do with personality. There are people who rob banks. It is in their nature to break laws. Should we close all the banks. Point is there will always be a minority who over do it and become addicted to drugs including alcohol. In the mean time we are spending billions trying to enforce prohibition of a weed that is easily cultivated and readily available. BTW I loved smoking pot in high school and haven't done so in nearly 25 years. I simply stopped. It took me 5 years to quit cigarettes 15 years ago.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:17 PM
pcg

98 posts, read 238,034 times
Default Dont smoke no more

From personal experience I will say that pot is not a gateway drug. Those who say it is have never even tried it. I believe that if a person chooses to abuse something, anything, they will. Having a glass of beer or wine does not lead to being a wino or alcoholic any more than smoking a joint leads to drug or heroin addiction. Pot is safer than alcohol by far. Probably safer than tobacco even.

Way back when in the dark ages it took me many months and several tries to quit tobacco, quitting weed only took the idea that I wanted to quit, and I did.

I have believed for a long time that weed should be equal to alcohol. Both are equally destructive if misused.

Donít smoke no more!

Old 01-26-2009, 07:33 PM

12,423 posts, read 6,279,683 times
marijuana should be legalized it would be a great day in history just think how much money would stay in the us insted of going to corupt countries. that fund terrorisim and crime cartels the 10 billion dolars spent on enforcing and convicting marijuana users and growers could be spent on fighting hard drugs like cocaine haroin and searious crimes not to mention all the new money that would boost a failing econemy. think about it all that money that otherwise is spent on expensive weed would now create a new econemy of growers distrbutors retailers yep that 150 an ounce marijuana bag would only cost u 10 to 30 dollars leaving ruffly 120 to spend on other consumer taxible goods. alcohol is way worse than weed its a loosing battel make it work for the econemy insted of against it. its a win win solution for all exept criminals and drug cartels

Old 01-26-2009, 07:53 PM

12,423 posts, read 6,279,683 times
talk about gateway alcohol is the king pin of gateway drugs i dont here about all those weed smokers killing people with the cars i know allot of people that quit alcohol and that choose pot over it and lead produtive lives alcohol is up there with cocain crack and all other hard drugs weed is not drink a bottel of rum and see what happends to u.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:35 AM

919 posts, read 2,162,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
talk about gateway alcohol is the king pin of gateway drugs i dont here about all those weed smokers killing people with the cars i know allot of people that quit alcohol and that choose pot over it and lead produtive lives alcohol is up there with cocain crack and all other hard drugs weed is not drink a bottel of rum and see what happends to u.
Well how can you argue with this? Pass the bong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: