Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 12:03 PM

4,271 posts, read 15,226,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Coming from New York, the reduction in property taxes and income taxes ought to be enough to make the car payment for a year as well as pay the registration.

BTW, vehicle license tax is deductible.

Thanks for the tip! I will keep that in mind for next year. Yes, we are looking forward to the tax differential! Ultimately, I knew that I was being a big baby when I paid the tax on my car. On top of the moving stress it was just too much to bear! Thanks again for the tip.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:15 PM

51 posts, read 238,555 times
That's interesting. I really appreciate the honest information. That's why I like this discussion board so much. I didn't know that it was illegal, nor did I think about it that deeply, to be honest with ya. I know that legally you need to change the address on your license within 30 days of moving, but I didn't know about the whole license plate thing. I wasn't trying to offend anyone either, I was just trying to save some money. I see people all the time driving around here (Mi) with out of state plates. I've never been pulled over (knock on wood). What all of you say makes a lot of sense though. I'll definitely heed your advice. I think that I'll stop off at the DMV as soon as I unload my stuff at my apartment on the day that I move in.
Thanks for the info!

Old 03-13-2007, 08:38 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,793,625 times
There is a grace period for getting plates and a driver license when moving here. I don’t know what the time period is, however anytime you have a job, registered to vote, by a home, have a child in school, you are required to get things these things changed into Arizona. I always would wonder that if someone is unfortunate to have a serious accident and you didn’t have plates or DL from Az. your insurance company could say forget coverage due to fraud and you’d be stuck with a large bill and jail time.

I have seen many cars with out of state plates in parking lots that belong to businesses and those employee’s cars are turned into the state. IF you’re using the streets and roads here help pay for them, don’t just become part of the traffic.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:22 AM

5 posts, read 22,003 times
Here is a link to that describes DMV residency definitions. http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/azwelcome.a...dentDefinition

There are circumstances that require you to immediately obtain a license and register your vehicle in the State of Arizona, like working in AZ. The link provided explains.

Plan on visiting Arizona for an extended time? If you remain in Arizona for a total of 7 months or more during any calendar year, regardless of your permanent residence, you meet DMV's definition of a "resident".

Old 04-19-2007, 06:21 AM

121 posts, read 544,530 times
I, too am coming from Michigan and don't plan on changing my plates any time soon. I have a 2005 Toyota Tacoma and I can only imagine what a newer, foreign pickup will cost to register. I would consider the trade off if I were buying a home but I'm just going to live in an RV Resort for a year or so. Once I buy a home, I'll transfer the plates. Technically, I'm still a resident of Michigan and have an address and a home there so why should I pay for all the illegals and whoever else causes the vehicle taxes to be so high.

And another thing: if property taxes are so low and vehicle taxes are high, why do people in AZ spend so much on new cars? Seems backwards to me....are they really THAT superficial?

Old 04-19-2007, 08:02 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,986,177 times
Are we that superficial? Yes.

I've notice in my neighborhood. You'll see people living in these trashy run down apartments, yet, they're driving escalades with $10,000 rims on 'em. Thats messed. Seems like they'd rather pretend their cool, than have a nicer place to live.

And, as for your situation, it might work. I'm not sure of all the technicalities, but, hm.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:55 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,131,497 times
I don't think people really care how much the registration/tags are when they buy a car. It's not like they are thousands of dollars. Do you even know about how much they will be for you? I know many other states that have the same costs for tags. Plus, they go down a decent amount each year. It's nothing to worry about too much. I think you should worry more about running around town with out of state plates. Many phx residents hate to see yet another out of stater. Road rage may occur. Actually it most likely will occur!

Old 04-19-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I don't think people really care how much the registration/tags are when they buy a car. It's not like they are thousands of dollars. Do you even know about how much they will be for you? I know many other states that have the same costs for tags. Plus, they go down a decent amount each year. It's nothing to worry about too much. I think you should worry more about running around town with out of state plates. Many phx residents hate to see yet another out of stater. Road rage may occur. Actually it most likely will occur!
How odd considering that about 80% of Metro Phonecians are transplants!

I don't know exactly what it'll cost me but I'd rather be a safe driver who many think is "just another tourist" than pay all that money for yet another tax. Heck, I should just consider buying a Yugo

Sounds like a big rip off to me. Especially since vehicles have to be "inspected."

Will my newer (2005) car have to be inspected? How often...once upon entry? Annually?

Old 04-19-2007, 09:50 AM

4,271 posts, read 15,226,833 times
I think you can get annually or every other year.

I drive a 2004 Honda Pilot and my tax was over $600. Yikes

Old 04-19-2007, 09:54 AM

see that to me is OUTRAGEOUS!

So you pay $600 per year to simply register/keep plates on it or is the $600 the Personal Vehicle Tax IN ADDITION to registration?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area