Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 07:40 PM

35 posts, read 113,530 times

Advertisements

If I am foreclosing on a home, and I have a second with Countrywide, a heloc, not purchase money second, what are the odds of them coming after me for the money? I got the second 3 years ago to do improvements on the house. What can they do to me? Has anyone else had this situation? I am willing to pay them, but they wont let me do it outside of foreclosure. Can they make me file BK? Can they sue me? Can they take money from my savings? I am in AZ. The first would not refi me since I am now upside down due to the market, and I am making less than I made when I purchased the home 5 years ago. What can I expect? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 09:25 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
I'm a little confused, KIMBER . . .

If you have enough money in savings, why in the world would you even consider a foreclosure? Even if you are "upside down" you'll still need a place to live and this crappy market isn't going to last forever.

Sorry, but foreclosure would be my absolute final option.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:36 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
There is no way to tell if they will sue you or not. They will likely hound you with collection efforts forever. A lot depends on how big the deficit is and what they perceive to be their chances of recovery. If you have few assets or protected assets and no job then it is likely you would go bankrupt on them making the judgment noncollectable. So they aren't going to go to the effort and expense of a suit.

They are not going to "force" you into bk. You may want to consider that after your foreclosure if you have a large number of unsecured debts - credit cards and the like (and now the HELOC) that you want to restructure (CH13) or eliminate (CH7).

Old 01-31-2009, 08:50 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,777,192 times
Arizona is a non-recourse state. If the mortgage money is used for the house then they can't come after you. If it was used to buy a car and other non-house items, then they could. However, it is unlikely that they will come after you.

Most of the foreclosures today have seconds, and I haven't heard of any companies trying to go after the owner. Probably because it's too difficult to prove the money was not used for the house.

During the first three months of not making the mortgage payments, they will harass you to try and collect. After that 90 days they will file the Notice of Trustee Sale and schedule the foreclosure sale 90 days from then. At that point they must stop the collection calls.

You should attempt to sell the house in a short sale situation. If it gets sold, then your credit will not be hit as hard as if it goes to foreclosure.

If you stay in the house and keep it presentable, and if you and the realtor price it right, then it has a better chance of getting sold.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:46 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,236 times
Why are there so many posts like this lately? "I voluntarily borrowed this money and want to know if they can come after my savings and get it back"..... THEY SHOULD.

THIS IS WHAT THE HUGE PART OF THE ECONOMIC PROBLEM IS. Folks are just skipping on their debts like there is no tomorrow, then screaming because we are then having to bail out the banks who gave them the money which they didnt repay in the first place.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:00 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,697,875 times
Yes, this is one of the problems, but why would a lender recommend an adjustable rate? The OP also noted the lack of income.

With all these problems, i keep telling my wife, we will never buy a house unless we can pay 75% of it and with the economy fixing housing prices back to reality, my ideal can become a reality and not have to be filthy rich to buy a house.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:20 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Ivana: Stuff happens. A kid could come down with a life threatening illness and medical bills become overwhelming. Or a parent gets cancer and can't work anymore. Or someone steals your identity and you can't get it back without paying an arm and a leg. Or you lose control of your car and hit someone who sues you. There are SOOO many scenarios. Its not always just deadbeats who skip out on their loan and house. Have some compassion for the human race.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:47 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,236 times
PhxBarb: I understand those type of situations, and of course I have every compassion. (Except the you lose control of your car and someone sues you thing-that is sort of self-inflicted, and folks should also carry insurancce.) However, not every person trying to avoid a mortgage debt is in one of those situations. Folks need to take responsibility when they can is all I am saying.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:58 PM

35 posts, read 113,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
PhxBarb: I understand those type of situations, and of course I have every compassion. (Except the you lose control of your car and someone sues you thing-that is sort of self-inflicted, and folks should also carry insurancce.) However, not every person trying to avoid a mortgage debt is in one of those situations. Folks need to take responsibility when they can is all I am saying.
Well, since you DONT know my situation, you should not have commented~

Old 02-01-2009, 10:13 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
Why are there so many posts like this lately? "I voluntarily borrowed this money and want to know if they can come after my savings and get it back"..... THEY SHOULD.

THIS IS WHAT THE HUGE PART OF THE ECONOMIC PROBLEM IS. Folks are just skipping on their debts like there is no tomorrow, then screaming because we are then having to bail out the banks who gave them the money which they didnt repay in the first place.
AMEN, Ivana . . . BEAUTIFULLY STATED.

Definitely there are exceptions to most every rule, however, nowadays there are far too many individuals refusing to take responsibility for their commitments mainly because their property has lost value. This would be a no topic if the property had appreciated . . . HOW CONVENIENT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area