Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 06:34 PM

294 posts, read 989,104 times

Advertisements

We are a cosntructing through a builder and the standard paint being offered is white. The upgrade to taupe or other similar color is running quite a bit more. not sure why as it's just a different shade of the same paint that we've asked for??

We are thinking it might be more cost effective for us to take possesion and hire our own painter to slap on another coat. Approx how much should it cost us for 1 coat of decent paint for a 3500 sq ft. house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 11:47 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Builders use el cheapo contractor quality paint which is the lowest quality and the most profitable to them. Many even dilute the paint to extend their coverage and profit.
You really need two coats to have a good quality job and you need to get good quality grade paint. We used Dunn Edwards paint and the paint cost about $32.00 per gal. They can also tell you how much paint you need for your sq ft of house coverage.
I would personally let the builder finish the house, then do the color change painting myself or hire a licensed reputable painter. You then will get a professional job and won't have to hassle with the builder to re-do their mess.
Get bids from 3 different paint contractors to see what the average cost will be... and check them out with the Registrar of Contractors and the Better Buisness Bureau.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:13 AM

4 posts, read 171,699 times
Default Alex Perry / pyramid-painting.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamteam View Post
We are a cosntructing through a builder and the standard paint being offered is white. The upgrade to taupe or other similar color is running quite a bit more. not sure why as it's just a different shade of the same paint that we've asked for??

We are thinking it might be more cost effective for us to take possesion and hire our own painter to slap on another coat. Approx how much should it cost us for 1 coat of decent paint for a 3500 sq ft. house?
Answer to your question: I would need some more info to give you an accurate answer. But I will do my best:

Generally a white house will need only a prime and 1 coat of paint.

Any other color will require 2 coats of paint. Unless you have the primer tinted to match the color of the house. Most people are not aware of this and it sounds like a good reason to up the price on your estimate.

How much should it cost to paint a 3500 sq. ft. house?

This depends on a lot of factors.

1. How long has it been since the last paint job?
2. Is the current paint job chipping and cracked? And to what extent?

This is the key question.
Sometimes the prep work (sanding and scraping can take longer than
the painting

If it is in bad shape the cost goes up significantly

3. If the house is not in bad shape currently you might be able to find someone to paint your house for as low as 8K-10K

4. If it is in bad shape and or you want a long lasting paint job, with 2 full coats of latex will do you might be looking at 15-20K

5. Also concider what brand of paint you use, Benjamin Moore and other top end paints all carry contractors grade paint, which will generally save you alot of money about 30%. It has been my experience that the contractors grade is just as good as the regular, most customers are simply not aware of it and buy the more expensive stuff. What ever you do do not buy Lowes or Home Depot brand paint. It simply wont last.

I would be happy to give you an estimate if you are interested
check me out at pyramid-painting.com

Old 02-02-2009, 10:25 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
I had the interior of my house painted about five years ago for 2400. 2000 square feet, 19 interior doors, vaulted ceilings everywhere. What was on the walls was cheap 18 year old builder bought flat paint. I used a variety of colors, some only needed one coat to cover properly, others needed THREE. The contractor had no idea that would happen ahead of time, so I'm sure he didn't make as much on the job as he expected. Looked great when it was done, though. They used Dunn-Edwards paint, don't remember the type name, that has a very slight gloss. Much prettier than flat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area