Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 03:45 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 115db View Post
its not really hard to do, but ironically I got pulled over a few years back for expired tags and at the same time, had just that day had renewed my insurance and had to wait for the new card to arrive in the mail (my insurance co doesnt have a physical office in Az). Though it costed me a small fine and I told the cop I can call the company and let him talk to a rep, he wanted to see a card instead. He did believe me, (guess it happens a lot?) he was at least very nice and even had a sense of humour, but I waited for the card to come in, renewed my tags, then went down to the court house to take care of the very small fine and it was done. Word of advice: Dont get caught with expired tags, you might just be opening a can of worms if you get pulled over, lol!
I can understand that. My ins co is in ny state & i had to wait for my proof of ins before i could register my car. They took their damn time though. How much was your fine ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 04:10 PM

7,165 posts, read 9,216,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Great question, Eagle.

I often hear, "not safe in the glove compartment."

My response . . . then keep it in your wallet.
Well, it's like this. Bad neighborhood. People (read lowlifes) go through my vehicle at night. There's no point in leaving the insurance & registration in the anywhere in the vehicle. It would be stolen. I do carry it in my wallet. However when I walk at night I leave my wallet at home. Sometimes I forget it the next day.

So far it's not been a big problem. I've only been pulled over a couple of times. The time I couldn't find my proof of insurance I got a ticket. The officer explained it to me, how I could get the proof and mail it to the address on the back by the date on the ticket. There was no problem with that.

The other time someone had stolen the tags. I did have the registration. I received a warning to get replacement tags. Cost me around $4.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 6,801 times
My grandson made an elegal U turn in Scottsdale, got a ticket and for some reason didn't have his proof of Ins. in the car. He had lost his job, didn't go to court (which was dumb). He went to court yesterday, took his proof of Ins. with him and the judge didn't want to see or hear anything. He got a $1,500.00 ticket and lost his license. Is this normal? How is he suppose to look for a job and how is he suppose to get to work, N Scottsdale doesn't have bus service? We need help!!!

Old 11-20-2010, 11:50 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannn View Post
He had lost his job, didn't go to court (which was dumb). He went to court yesterday, took his proof of Ins. with him and the judge didn't want to see or hear anything. He got a $1,500.00 ticket and lost his license. Is this normal? How is he suppose to look for a job and how is he suppose to get to work, N Scottsdale doesn't have bus service? We need help!!!
Did he go to court, or not? Your post seems to say he didn't, then he did. If he ticked off the judge, then, yes, this is normal. If he'd gone to court, been remorseful and respectful to the judge, he may very well have been fined half of what he was fined, and the judge might have waived the license suspension. Sounds like the judge gave him the max. Or your grandson's not telling you the whole story.

How he looks for a job without a car is his problem, not the court's. Nor is how he gets to work. He doesn't needs help, he needs to put on his big boy pants and deal with being an adult.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:39 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Did he go to court, or not? Your post seems to say he didn't, then he did. If he ticked off the judge, then, yes, this is normal. If he'd gone to court, been remorseful and respectful to the judge, he may very well have been fined half of what he was fined, and the judge might have waived the license suspension. Sounds like the judge gave him the max. Or your grandson's not telling you the whole story.

How he looks for a job without a car is his problem, not the court's. Nor is how he gets to work. He doesn't needs help, he needs to put on his big boy pants and deal with being an adult.

Sounds like he didn't go to the initial court date, so he got hit with additional fines on both citations. We may not have the whole story, but the license may have been suspended because he couldn't pay the fine.

Yes, not going to the first court date was "dumb" in spades. And, Kimballette is correct, it is no one else's problem but his. I don't know if he actually is an adult yet or not, but if he's old enough to drive a car and be looking for a job, if he hadn't learned the lesson about owning up to one's responsibilities before this, he has now.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:15 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
There is usually a very good reason why a judge would levy that heave penalty. One is that the man missed his court date.

There is also the possibility that something was said in the court room that offended the judge.

Therefore, it appears that the judge was intent on teaching him a lesson by levying the maximum.

That lesson will probably serve him very well as he grows older.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:50 PM

422 posts, read 791,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The OP did not say he did not have insurance or registration - he said that he did not have PROOF OF BOTH WITH HIM. In other words - he has insurance and his vehicle is registered.

The court should dismiss these citations
Exactly. There is a big difference between not having it, and not having proof. Penalties are very different too.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:08 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougstech View Post
Exactly. There is a big difference between not having it, and not having proof. Penalties are very different too.
Sometimes, it pays to check the date of the post to which you're responding. You commented on a post dated 02/09/09...

Old 11-22-2010, 05:33 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Sometimes, it pays to check the date of the post to which you're responding. You commented on a post dated 02/09/09...
I don't think the date matters too much here... the issue in this thread is an ongoing one.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:31 AM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannn View Post
My grandson made an elegal U turn in Scottsdale, got a ticket and for some reason didn't have his proof of Ins. in the car. He had lost his job, didn't go to court (which was dumb). He went to court yesterday, took his proof of Ins. with him and the judge didn't want to see or hear anything. He got a $1,500.00 ticket and lost his license. Is this normal? How is he suppose to look for a job and how is he suppose to get to work, N Scottsdale doesn't have bus service? We need help!!!
I agree with Kimballette, Jeannn . . . possibly more to this story.

Also, it could have much been worse! About a year ago, my neighbor was stopped for an expired registration and then no proof of insurance . . . he was ticketed and his vehicles was seized. In addition to the aggravation and inconvenience (I drove him to the Police Station and then the Impound Lot) the towing and impound fees alone were about 300 bucks.

Personally, I feel these laws are necessary and definitely need to be enforced as strictly as possible. There are far too many idiots out there blatantly snubbing their noses at the insurance and registration requirements while claiming PO ME.

Anyone not able to afford ALL of the expenses of owning a vehicle should TAKE THE BUS, not increase my insurance rates.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area