Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 12:14 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
The only time I encountered a pack of javalinas was in Prescott, I felt an immediate threat to me and the people I was with. They seemed to have no fear, they just wanted to smell what we were cooking on the grill, they would not back off. I actually resorted to throwing a huge rock at one of them to scare them off.
You sound like a little pansy to me. Being afraid of a cactus-eating javelina is about as bright as being afraid of a cow. Do you look like a prickly pear or something? Maybe you should shave. Mooooooooooooooo!

Bet you have a "Fear this" sticker in the window of that truck of yours, city slicker. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 01:47 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You sound like a little pansy to me. Being afraid of a cactus-eating javelina is about as bright as being afraid of a cow. Do you look like a prickly pear or something? Maybe you should shave. Mooooooooooooooo!

Bet you have a "Fear this" sticker in the window of that truck of yours, city slicker. LOL.
Uncalled for personal attack

Old 02-13-2009, 05:49 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,413,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post

I grew up in Michigan, I am no city slicker. I never said I was afraid of them, I said we felt threatened, the majority of our group was girls for one, and two if you have ever encountered one, which I doubt, you would know that they will attack humans, they can leave some nasty bite marks.

The point of my post was that if they are hungry and used to humans, they will come right up to your camp.

Douche

Old 02-13-2009, 08:31 PM

453 posts, read 1,627,831 times
Ponderosa--javelinas are viscous animals if they feel threatened. If their babies are with them you best steer clear or they will attack. They killed a coworkers dog in her own back yard, a german shepard.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:26 PM

He's hiding behind his computer screen.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:14 PM

124 posts, read 661,066 times
I did see 2 coyotes dead along the sides of the roads today....after thinking about being scared of them, I am thinking that the reason there are so many is because humans have taken over their territory and they are just looking for food and cannot distinguish between a domestic animal, and a wild one. Doesn't mean I want one in my yard though, so I'll just be mindfull of where my dog is ata ll times to ensure I am being a protective doggy owner.
I was kind of surprised at how small they actually are... only about the size of a medium dog...I had a Lab once that was twice that size and almost 100 lbs....either way, I don't want my pet eaten, but have to admit, it was kinda sad seing those 2 dead on the road from being hit by cars.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:20 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,353,604 times
I've seen a pack of coyotes in my neighborhood and I live behind the Albertson's at I-17 and Carefree Hwy. There'd be no safe way to shoot anything in such a neighborhood, even if it were necessary, as the houses are just too close together. But I do ride out in the desert a lot and always do so armed. I don't have a hunting license yet and am not really interested in hunting. But I'm kind of curious if a license makes it legally easier to kill an animal that needs killing. I would only do so if it were really necessary.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahrose View Post
I did see 2 coyotes dead along the sides of the roads today....after thinking about being scared of them, I am thinking that the reason there are so many is because humans have taken over their territory and they are just looking for food and cannot distinguish between a domestic animal, and a wild one. Doesn't mean I want one in my yard though, so I'll just be mindfull of where my dog is ata ll times to ensure I am being a protective doggy owner.
I was kind of surprised at how small they actually are... only about the size of a medium dog...I had a Lab once that was twice that size and almost 100 lbs....either way, I don't want my pet eaten, but have to admit, it was kinda sad seing those 2 dead on the road from being hit by cars.
I was also surprised when I first saw one to see how small they really are.

From Wiki...
Coyotes typically grow up to 75–87 centimeters (30–34 inches) in length and on average, weigh from 7–21 kilograms (15–46 pounds).

Old 02-26-2009, 09:33 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookieboy View Post
Not every wild pig is a crazed killer ready to strike and "rip your arm off" at a moments notice. I have lived around javalina my whole life, and have never felt threatend by one.
Can I just point out that javalinas are not pigs - they're members of the peccary family, nothing to do with pigs.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:16 PM

643 posts, read 1,393,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahrose View Post
I found the remains of an animal this morning right on my front porch...fresh blood, and guts everywhere!! I have a small doggy, and don't want him to get eaten. How do I prevent coyotes from getting into my yard and killing my dog, other than the obvious, which is to walk outside in the back WITH my dog when he goes potty. Would Javalina have done this too?? is ther some type of repellant I can get for coyotes and wild pigs??
OMG a coyote?!?!?!?!
Take the kids and dog, lock the doors, hide under a bed and call 911 NOW!!!! what r u doing online crazy!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area