Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 10:34 PM

44 posts, read 183,092 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My hubby and I are planning to move to Phoenix in the next few months. We are coming to visit and look at different housing options in March. We also want to do some sight-seeing and play tourist in our soon-to-be new city. What suggestions do you guys have? We like the arts, diversity, outdoors, cute out of the way coffee shops...

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 11:16 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,929,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenionthemove View Post
Hi Everyone,

My hubby and I are planning to move to Phoenix in the next few months. We are coming to visit and look at different housing options in March. We also want to do some sight-seeing and play tourist in our soon-to-be new city. What suggestions do you guys have? We like the arts, diversity, outdoors, cute out of the way coffee shops...

Thanks in advance!
None of that stuff sounds familiar here. I'll be all ears to see what other have to say.

Can't beat the weather though.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:26 PM

So there is nothing to see in Phoenix? I cannot believe that. Anyone with a positive attitude?

Old 02-11-2009, 11:35 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,929,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenionthemove View Post
So there is nothing to see in Phoenix? I cannot believe that. Anyone with a positive attitude?
Trust me I have a positive attitude and glad I live here. I said I couldn't think of out of the way coffee shops or artsy diverse things. I didn't say we had nothing to see.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:38 PM

Well what do you enjoy? I was just trying to give an idea of what we like...it's not limited to that. When you have family come, where do you take them?

Old 02-11-2009, 11:48 PM

123 posts, read 550,344 times
It'll be the perfect time of year to take a walk through the Desert Botanical Garden and enjoy the Chihuly Art Glass currently on display and try lunch at the funky Le Grande Orange. Take in Old Town Scottsdale, Carefree and Cave Creeek. Phx Art Museum and the Heard Museum are good too.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:45 AM

16 posts, read 46,175 times
Great time to visit.

Wildflowers will be in season - take a hike up in the hills. Superstition Wilderness offers a lot great hikes close to Phoenix, though there are plenty of other equally good locations.

Spring training will be in town - enjoy an afternoon soaking up some sun on the outfield lawn.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:18 AM

2,061 posts, read 4,126,377 times
since you are from Iowa I might suggest more cowboy culture~ rocking r ranch~ joes bbq~ go to ghost town at Apache junction

Things you might like~ take in the Art on main in downtown Mesa~ along with the small shops there

you are late for the stuff you claim to like but if you are moving here in feb of next year do not forget Chinese new year and festival at china culture center ~ Japanese festival (atzuri I think) in Phoenix~ goto Mormon visitor center and zoolights for Christmas

All my ideas focus on east valley cause I am there

Old 02-12-2009, 08:40 AM

178 posts, read 600,653 times
Have you searched the thread for ideas? I would start there. Also check out Arizona Local News - Phoenix Arizona News - Breaking News - azcentral.com for listings of concerts, bands, farmer's markets, festivals, restaurant reviews, etc.

Other stuff to do... Papago Park is great for easy hiking (be sure to check out the Hole in the Rock) and its centrally located. THe Phoenix Zoo is right there too. Its a great zoo. Another fun thing south of the cityt near South Mountain is the Mystery Castle. Google it and check for hours. While down there, go to The Farm At South Mountain for a picnic lunch in their pecan orchard. Beautiful, organic, quiet.

Walking and browsing Mill Ave in Tempe is fun- lots of shops, cafes. Old Towne Scottsdale is a big hit too. Jewelry shops, art galleries, cafes, fun southwestern stuff.

I agree that the Superstition Mtns are a GREAT place to hike. Do the Lost Dutchman trail, drive a few miles east afterwards to the tiny town of Tortilla Flat for lunch and a beer.

Finally, yes- do go to La Grande Orange for breakfast or lunch. Their sister restaurant/wine bar called Postino is great too. Busy and sometimes crowded but fun. Enjoy!

(See Sheena- there's LOTS to do!)

Old 02-12-2009, 09:28 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,175,492 times
go hiking - anywhere, tons of places all over the city

definitely catch spring training - even if it's buying a lawn ticket and sitting on the grass behind the outfield enjoying the sun

there is a neat coffee shop/wine bar in cave creek as you enter town from the south ......... can't remember the name of the place, but it's a cute little shop and cave creek is a nice break from the city

also downtown glendale has some interesting mom & pop type places with their antique stores

for diverse arts you can't beat the heard - if you are here during the 3rd friday of each month you can try their newly formed NU program

Quote:
Spend the evening at the Heard! The new evening series called NU (Native + You) begins in February and continues on the Third Friday of each month. From 5:30 to 9 p.m., visitors can enjoy the museum, outdoor courtyards, Berlin Gallery, Arcadia Farms Café and Shop while enjoying cash bars, a lounge, local bands, DJs and salons with contemporary artists. (Shop, Cafe and Berlin Gallery are open until 8 p.m. Best of all, admission to NU is free.
Heard Museum

the people who can't find what you are looking for, quite frankly aren't trying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area