Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 07:35 AM

6 posts, read 41,784 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Looking to move to Arizona from east coast. I will be graduating this fall as a teacher with a Masters in elementary education. Maricopa County seems to cover all areas I am interested in moving to. I am looking for specific information about contracted salary schedule and benefits for this county. When I go to the Maricopa County Regional School District website it lists salary a $38250 plus $2500 for a Masters. Longevity Stipend for salary increases start at year 4-8 $1000 per year, years 9-12 $2000 per year, years 13-17 $2500 per year, and 18+ years $3000 per year.

Can anyone confirm this? Also, I cannot find any info. on benefits in regard to Health coverage, retirement, etc...

Please add any additional info. that may be helpful. I really love the area. Can't stand the cold weather here.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 09:38 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
where is the Maricopa County Regional School District? Have you looked at other districts as well? We have multiple districts (probably too many) and most aren't unified between elementary and HS

Old 02-12-2009, 11:28 AM

I looked further and see what you are saying. Do I understand it right...each district has its own salary schedules. It is even broken up further by elementary and High School. There are many different elementary school district within Maricopa County.
Am I correct in this?

If so any general information would be appreciated in regard to salaries, benefits. Specific district info. would be welcome as well.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:45 AM

that sounds about right - there are a lot of teachers on this board (and I'm married to one) so we could probably be of some help in guiding - however, the universe is large enough that it's hard to really pin down a very detailed broad overview

one thing to keep in mind is that most districts are going to be hit by the budget crunch - i know people in pretty well respected districts who have gotten the letters that for next year they can expect flat pay, potentially no career ladder incentives and potential staff cuts

however, this metro is usually in transition and there are still teaching jobs to be found - there are still some new schools set to open, people move in & out, etc

Old 02-12-2009, 12:04 PM

Thank you for your help. Perhaps I am being to broad.

Is it possible to get some specific feedback from your experience directly. Are you and your spouse happy with the school district your in? Are you both happy with benefits? Is there administrative support there?

You mentioned budget crunch and possible staff cuts. Are the Teachers able to achieve Tenure.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:20 PM

tenure really isn't big out here - for example in my home district in NY you had a 3 year run and then you were either granted tenure or let go

here they seem to present contracts every year and you work off that basis - if you sign a contract with a district you will be expected to serve that year out, failure to do so can result in a monetary penalty and the suspension of your license

there are unions here, but as AZ is a right to work state, don't expect much from them

my wife and most of the people in our circle are elementary school teachers - she came down as a new grad as it's much easier to get a job here than in the upper midwest

she started off in the glendale elementary district in a poorer socio-economic school - the kids were hit or miss (as kids will be) however she became really frustrated by the district, administration, parents, complete lack of resources and time demands - she was able to boost her resume though as there were tons of opportunities to take on additional work

she moved on to the litchfield district, which she loves - parent groups are supportive, resources are better, etc

we also have friends in the peoria and deer valley districts and they enjoy them (most are glendale refugees as well)

for the record I'm not a teacher - i work in the private sector

as for benefits, they're pretty good - she doesn't have to contribute - my last employer provided better benefits than what she receives - my current one is about equal (of course I have to contribute to my benes)

you can expect the standard health, dental, vision options as well as options for 403b, life insurance, etc

there is a state retirement fund as well

most of the scales are about the same from what I've seen - i know my wife took a pay step back going from glendale to litchfield, but it was worth it

masters aren't required out here as they are in some states - so you should be in pretty good shape with one

administration is hit or miss - a lot of growth has occured, led to a lot of new schools, new teachers, new administrators ........ the teachers out here are definitely younger than you will find in some other areas - same for administrators - you can find a 35 yr old principal, for example

if you are young and single then I would focus on what aside from work you are looking for (as there is no one elses job or lifestyle to worry about) - then find a couple places in the metro that offer what you are looking for

from there you should be able to find a handful of districts within a 20 minute commute from each location

one of the nice things about teaching is that it's one of the few professions out here where it's easier to live close towhere you work

Old 02-12-2009, 01:59 PM

Wow! No Tenure. Now that's a little scary. Excuse my naivete being from the Northeast I assumed teachers equal unions...tenure, etc.

Overall, is your wife, fellow teachers happy with Arizona School system. Is there anything I should know about or look out for? Where I am from pay is good but, it is well know retirement benefits are horrible. Also, cost of living is high.

Just curious also, since your not originally from AZ, how do you and you wife like it there?

I am also married. Husband is in the medical field. Should be easy for him to find a job. We love the warm weather, scenery.

Thanks again for your post. It's been a great help.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:55 PM

Most of the teachers I've spoken with are fine without a tenure process - even some of the few old timers - most feel pretty secure in their jobs

I think most teachers out here are frustrated by state level politics, funding, etc along with the ever present federal guidelines such as NCLB

ELL and how the state addresses those needs is also in flux and not very organized

it seems like the issues here are a lot like the issues everywhere with AZ having the following additional issues with new staff & staff turnover, many communities that are just really developing and a high level of spanish speaking kids

we both like it here - kids seems to be a little different out here, hard to explain and not necessarily for the better - seem a little older than they should be if that makes sense

there is a ton to do, but none of it jumps off the page - you have to work for it and research a bit, but there is so much out there

i definitely don't miss shoveling or snow - my wife tires from the heat though

Old 02-12-2009, 06:19 PM

648 posts, read 3,090,224 times
we have a very good teachers union here, the AEA or Arizona Education Association. and yes we have tenure here like everywhere else.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:20 AM

you'd call the AEA a very good union?! - most people I know have either dropped it or in the process of dropping it

also, what district are you in with a formal tenure process? - is it an elementary district or a HS district?

just looked into it a bit more - i guess there is tenure, but it's not like anything i've ever seen

Quote:
Requirements for Tenure: A certified teacher attains tenure upon employment with a school district for more than the major portion of three consecutive school years and an offer for continued employment/contract renewal for the succeeding school year.
ARS §15-538.01

Rights of Tenure: Tenured teachers in Arizona may be dismissed for immoral or unprofessional conduct, inadequacy of classroom performance, conduct in violation of the rules, and good or just cause. Tenured teachers are also entitled to a hearing before the Arizona State Board of Education and to appeal dismissal decisions to the superior court if necessary.
ARS §15-539
ARS §15-541
ARS §15-543
Not like anything i've ever seen and i've never heard any teacher talk about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area