Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,701 times

Advertisements

My husband I are part of the 24% unemployed Toledoans (highest unemployment rate in the country). We both lost our jobs in December due to the poor economy and are now trying to move to Phoenix. My husband will be relocating and temporarily living with family near Phoenix while I stay behind until June when our son graduates high school. My husband has recently applied at several financial institutions in the Phoenix area as his experience lies in both bank branch and operations management. I am seeking anyone out there that may have any personal employment contacts. My husband is willing to change fields if necessary. At this point, we are really desperate to find any job. He's an awesome guy with great credentials. Anyone would be lucky to have him. I would really appreciate any help.
Thank you,
Pam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 08:03 PM

101 posts, read 295,861 times
Smile You are going from the frying pan to the fryer

The Phoenix area lost more jobs than any other Metro area in the nation last year (60,000). Although our unemployment rate is not 24% it is skyrocketing right now. It wouldnt be a good idea right now to just show up with no job. This isnt a good time.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:45 PM

467 posts, read 1,189,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnaumann1 View Post
My husband I are part of the 24% unemployed Toledoans (highest unemployment rate in the country). We both lost our jobs in December due to the poor economy and are now trying to move to Phoenix. My husband will be relocating and temporarily living with family near Phoenix while I stay behind until June when our son graduates high school. My husband has recently applied at several financial institutions in the Phoenix area as his experience lies in both bank branch and operations management. I am seeking anyone out there that may have any personal employment contacts. My husband is willing to change fields if necessary. At this point, we are really desperate to find any job. He's an awesome guy with great credentials. Anyone would be lucky to have him. I would really appreciate any help.
Thank you,
Pam
Pam, If your last name is Hispanic, don't move here. You will not find work. Even if you were born here in the US and your family name has lived here in the US for decades.

I would recommed that your husband change fields and get into healthcare. This is what's needed here do to the large retirement community.

Or, he can help take back America by opening up a landscaping business and under cutting all the illegals.

Then you need to check Jobbing.com They are the biggest job search engine in the area.

Good Luck!

Old 03-25-2009, 11:19 PM

382 posts, read 1,355,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head coach View Post
Pam, If your last name is Hispanic, don't move here. You will not find work. Even if you were born here in the US and your family name has lived here in the US for decades.

I would hope most people are more intelligent than that when reviewing applications for future employees, and also in general.

However, the job market here is not going to be much better than where you are, regardless of your last name. The cost of living isn't going to be better for certain. Even teenagers are having a difficult time finding work.

If you can get a job before you move, great, otherwise wait until you do.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:17 AM

919 posts, read 3,394,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head coach View Post

I would recommed that your husband change fields and get into healthcare. This is what's needed here do to the large retirement community.

Or, he can help take back America by opening up a landscaping business and under cutting all the illegals.

Then you need to check Jobbing.com They are the biggest job search engine in the area.

Good Luck!
Yeah, because switching careers from banking management to mowing lawns is a surefire way to take back the American economy.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:45 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnaumann1 View Post
Thank you,
Pam
He might contact some of the property management companies. They manage HOA's, and it is a growing field. The pay is relatively low for entry level managers but there is a lot of opportunity for move up as one gains more experiences and earns the higher designations.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:11 AM

551 posts, read 2,725,361 times
It's really a catch-22. You shouldn't move here (or anywhere really) unless you already have a job, but practically no one here will even consider your resume unless you live here already. I've also heard that the economy in Ohio has been rough for sometime now, but Phoenix is now one of the worst economic areas -- worse than the overall average for the country because a large portion of the economy in Phoenix is tied to housing.

If you do decide to move here first, it would be much better to find a short term lease or perhaps a monthly rental.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:44 PM

175 posts, read 464,593 times
And even if you do find a job here the pay will surely be lower than you are accustomed to seeing in the Midwest. And if you get laid off here the weekly unemployment check is one of the lowest in the US. And if you have kids they surely will suffer as the expendature per student is 48th out of 50 states and heading to the 50th spot as soon as the school budget cuts go into effect. I'd hang in there as this recession won't last forever and things should improve by the end of the year.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:35 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,216,327 times
We have been trying to move to the Phoenix area for the past 6 months. My girlfriend and I also work in the Financial Sector with one of the Big banks.

Its a tough market out there, I won't leave my job in Buffalo until I get offered one in Phoenix.

Its even hard to get a phone interview..

Old 03-26-2009, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,701 times
Default Thank you for your thoughts/comments

Well, I was hoping for more positive responses, but I appreciate the honesty. Please keep my husband in mind if anyone does have any local contacts for any type of job. I would really appreciate it!
Thanks again!
Pam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: