Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2009, 08:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,643 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be graduating this year and will be moving out to Phoenix in June to attend one of the many community colleges in the area and then (hopefully) moving into the nursing program at ASU. My main problem so far has been to find an apartment complex that has not received negative ratings/comments on all the apartment websites. I'm looking for a 1bdrm 1bath for no more than $650 a month ,and at the most, a 30min drive to ASU. If anyone knows of any apartment complexes that fit this description, please post! If you have had experience in said apartment that is even better!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 04:36 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,237,701 times
Here is my advice. When I first moved here, I had a lot of bad luck w/ apartments so here are some tips

1. See the place - the internet can only show you what the apartment looks like but it can't show you what the surrounding neighborhood looks like or what your neighbors look like or what type of cars they drive (low rider pickups).

2. See the place a night - everyone works during the day so you don't really know how loud a place is or how much parking is available until you go at night. (College kids hanging outside their balcony playing loud music; people throwing a pool party at 11 PM on a MOnday night)

3. Ask about deals namely free rent if signing a long term deal. They won't volunteer this information but if you visit a place, you will be suprised at what types of deals you can get. Don't be afraid to haggle either. It's hard to do this over the phone

4. Rent a first floor apartment. Upstairs apartments get really hot in the summer and they can take longer to cool down which means you will have to run your AC longer to reach a set temperature.

5. Choose an apartment that is close to the entrance/exit. I lived in a complex in which I was in the back and it would literally take me an extra 5-10 minutes just to get out of the place especially with speed bumps and a back log of people trying to get out in the morning

Old 02-15-2009, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 3,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Here is my advice. When I first moved here, I had a lot of bad luck w/ apartments so here are some tips

1. See the place - the internet can only show you what the apartment looks like but it can't show you what the surrounding neighborhood looks like or what your neighbors look like or what type of cars they drive (low rider pickups).

2. See the place a night - everyone works during the day so you don't really know how loud a place is or how much parking is available until you go at night. (College kids hanging outside their balcony playing loud music; people throwing a pool party at 11 PM on a MOnday night)

3. Ask about deals namely free rent if signing a long term deal. They won't volunteer this information but if you visit a place, you will be suprised at what types of deals you can get. Don't be afraid to haggle either. It's hard to do this over the phone

4. Rent a first floor apartment. Upstairs apartments get really hot in the summer and they can take longer to cool down which means you will have to run your AC longer to reach a set temperature.

5. Choose an apartment that is close to the entrance/exit. I lived in a complex in which I was in the back and it would literally take me an extra 5-10 minutes just to get out of the place especially with speed bumps and a back log of people trying to get out in the morning
Very good advice, thank you very much!

Old 02-15-2009, 08:26 PM

8 posts, read 29,492 times
I would recommend the Peaks at Papago park, which is where I currently live. It is a large complex, but well kept and the staff is responsive. My A.C. konked out in Aug. and was replaced within 24 hours. There are many ASU students here since it is only 5 min away, no highways involved! Very convenient to tempe town lake and Mill Ave, popular area which is very safe and has many bars/clubs/shops right by ASU. We have 6 pools and 4 hot tubs here, small ponds with fish and ducks, lots of plantings for the price, Papago park is literally out the back gate connecting to a path. The 202 is only 200 yards away from the front gate, but not a bit of noise or even a glimpse of the road from here. There is a nice website with prices and floorplans.

Matt in 2212
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area