Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 09:28 PM

11 posts, read 25,146 times

Advertisements

I know this question has been asked many times, but I am a bit overwhelmed with all the options to choose from. I am a 28 yo single doctor moving from MI to the PHX area for my first job out of Residency. The hospital that I am schedule to work at is in East Mesa, and I am not sure whether I should buy a place or rent an apartment first, and in what area.

I was thinking maybe south Scottsdale or in Mesa. I like to golf and would like to be in a nice community. I am not the biggest bar guy, but would like to be in a place where I could be around people my age and of the fairer sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 09:32 PM

549 posts, read 1,558,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEd23 View Post
I know this question has been asked many times, but I am a bit overwhelmed with all the options to choose from. I am a 28 yo single doctor moving from MI to the PHX area for my first job out of Residency. The hospital that I am schedule to work at is in East Mesa, and I am not sure whether I should buy a place or rent an apartment first, and in what area.

I was thinking maybe south Scottsdale or in Mesa. I like to golf and would like to be in a nice community. I am not the biggest bar guy, but would like to be in a place where I could be around people my age and of the fairer sex.
Old Town Scottsdale. You don't want to live in Mesa as a single physician - it's all families there, whereas Old Town is young single types. I would rent first - even though the prices for buying right now are quite good.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:29 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
I would definitely rent because there are so many choices that there is no single right answer. I know it's a cliche but you need to find the right neighborhood that fits you. I know single wealthy doctors that live anywhere from condos in Old Town Scottsdale to large houses in Ocotillo to houses in Val Vista Lakes in Gilbert to houses in DC Ranch to new condos in downtown Phoenix. You need to weigh all of that in regards to your commute as well. If you are renting, try to go with a Mark-Taylor propery. They are pretty upscale and well managed www.mark-taylor.com.

Just a note: you dont' have to live in the popular entertainment areas to enjoy yourself such as Old Town Scottsdale, Biltmore, Kierland or Tempe. Most of the professional single doctors that I know prefer NOT to live in those areas because they are mostly occupied by college students and people right out of college who work as bartenders and servers near those clubs and restaurants. They enjoy partying in those areas but in terms of living, they own homes and just commute to that area and there are many areas in which you can have a 20 minute to that area from a very nice home.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:56 PM

191 posts, read 611,669 times
On the other hand, the housing prices are so awesome right now, you could get quite a nice house that is a short sale or preforeclosure for a pittance. Even folks in the luxury market are nervous about getting their homes sold and are very willing to make a deal. I agree with azriverfan above, you don't necessarily have to live right in the entertainment areas. They are easy enough to get to.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:24 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
I'm sorry,.....did you say "single doctor"?? hEllo...lol....I kid.

Seriously though, i'd go South Scottsdale for sure.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:36 PM

419 posts, read 1,524,862 times
I wish I was a 28 yr old single doctor with access to Scottsdale GD's.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:53 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,471 times
I would definately rent for the first year or so.. that way you can find out which areas you like/dislike, etc before purchasing. It is hard to form an opinion of any area just by using the internet. Scottsdale is a more richer area than most parts of Mesa. Mesa there are nice places and some not so nice places.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:37 PM

178 posts, read 601,725 times
Definitely rent first. And go for Tempe or Scottsdale. Mesa, and adjacent areas of Gilbert and Chandler are filled with families. Not much culture, fun, or culture for a young single professional.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:08 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Seriously though, i'd go South Scottsdale for sure.
I do disagree with this in my humble opinion. If Phoenix was an urban area then I would agree with your opinion and advise him to live in the very fun and trendy South Scottsdale(Old Town) area. But everyone has a car here and it's easy to drive to Old Town on a Friday night from most areas in the city with a very short commute time. It's not like driving from the Anaheim to Sunset Blvd on a Friday night in which the drive with traffic could take you nearly 2 hours. It doesn't make much sense to rent a 1500 apartment or pay over 500K for a small condo in Old Town when you could literally live 15 minutes north or south of there and purchase your own home for that much money.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:29 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I do disagree with this in my humble opinion. If Phoenix was an urban area then I would agree with your opinion and advise him to live in the very fun and trendy South Scottsdale(Old Town) area. But everyone has a car here and it's easy to drive to Old Town on a Friday night from most areas in the city with a very short commute time. It's not like driving from the Anaheim to Sunset Blvd on a Friday night in which the drive with traffic could take you nearly 2 hours. It doesn't make much sense to rent a 1500 apartment or pay over 500K for a small condo in Old Town when you could literally live 15 minutes north or south of there and purchase your own home for that much money.
Did I say anything about renting? I think renting is a total waste of time and money. I'm saying he should buy in South Scottsdale. Considering his age, profession, hobbies and status....he fits that part of the valley perfectly. Just my opinion, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area