U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 01:48 AM

8,850 posts, read 8,954,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Pools, from a pure investment perspective, are not a good investment. If you spend $40,000 to install one, you MIGHT, MIGHT, see an increase in value of your home by $15 / 20,000. So, if you want a pool, a home with an existing pool might be better.

Then again, if you are planning to STAY in your home for a long time, installing one might be OK.

We built our home and had a pool included. We have a Salt Water pool and absolutely love it. Maintenance is a breeze and chemicals are minimal. We spend a lot of time in, and around the pool - and do a lot of entertaining - with a lot outside (we incorporated an large outdoor kitchen area near the pool). We "live" in the pool so to speak. For us, the pool was almost a necessity. For you though - it might be different.

Good luck on your decision.
I agree with you in that sense. You don't recover the value of the cost of installing the pool. However, it does make your house more marketable when it comes time to sell your home. Also, 40K seems a bit steep to put in a pull especially with today's bad economy. You can have a pool installed for less than 30K now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 01:57 AM

25,105 posts, read 23,014,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You can have a pool installed for less than 30K now.
Or, $75 to 100,000!

Old 02-19-2009, 07:18 AM

10 posts, read 17,076 times
Could someone please explain the salt water pools? How much salt? It's not ocean water salty is it? What are the pros/cons of salt vs fresh water?

And what do people without pools do if you don't want to be inside sitting in air conditioning constantly when it's 100 degrees? I want to move to AZ in order to be outdoors more, not indoors.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:32 AM

8 posts, read 12,258 times
Wow, lots of different perspectives. I'm not too concerned about resale value, because I'm hoping the next time I move I'll be dead. But I hadn't really thought about liability and kids jumping the fence to use the pool....

thanks

Old 02-19-2009, 08:00 AM

6,158 posts, read 9,743,044 times
I'm with Greatday in that our pool is a part of our family lifestyle. It's a luxury item to be sure, as you don't need one to survive. We're in Kingman, so the traditional swimming season is shorter than Phoenix. However, we use the integrated spa portion of our pool year-round. There's nothing like looking up at the stars with a glass of wine in 102F swirling water after a long day at work, and I've become quite addicted to it.

We had our pool built as part of an overall backyard landscape project. We now have a tropical oasis where there was once a harsh and unfriendly moonscape. It sounds corny, but it changed our lives. As other have said, hanging out by the pool is a great bonding activity for the entire family.

Not all pools are created equally. We designed our pool for low maintenance by using an automated pool cover, in-floor cleaning system (no robot needed), and salt-water chlorine generator. So maintenance is about as easy as it gets, and the pool is always sparkling clean when we open the cover. However, this is not a $20K pool, and you probably won't find a home on the market with a pool like that. That's part of the advantage in building a pool yourself, you get it the way you want it.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo9 View Post
Could someone please explain the salt water pools? How much salt? It's not ocean water salty is it? What are the pros/cons of salt vs fresh water?
The salt concentration is 1/16th that of sea water. It's barely salty when you taste it. The salt is used when you have a chlorine generator. The generator breaks down the salt into sodium and free chlorine. So it chlorinates the water. Oddly enough, the chlorine ends up rebinding with the sodium and reforming the salt. So in theory, you never need to add salt. However, with salt water losses due to splashing and other inefficiencies, you end up adding a bag of salt per year or so.

Salt water pros are that the generator keeps a much more consistent chlorine level than you'll probably accomplish by adding chlorine in the conventional manner. As a result you can also keep the chlorine concentration lower when you have a SWG (1 ppm is good). You rarely if ever need to shock a pool with an SWG. There's also something about the feel of the salt water that feels better on the skin than fresh water. Everybody who has a salt pool agrees with this, but nobody can explain why it is. Cons are that the SWG probably doesn't save any money because you need to replace the generator cell every few years, which will run you $800. So you haven't saved any money versus buying your chlorine. It's also one more gadget that can break. Although, they seem pretty reliable.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:22 AM

15,860 posts, read 18,628,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo9 View Post

And what do people without pools do if you don't want to be inside sitting in air conditioning constantly when it's 100 degrees? I want to move to AZ in order to be outdoors more, not indoors.
Salt is poured into the pool water till its around 3000 part per million salt (one can taste it but barely and some can't taste it at all). A chlorine generator is added to the return lines which makes chlorine out of the salt. Pros are that it is pretty much hassle free chlorination. Some say the water "feels" better but that is subjective. Claims that salt water pools don't bleach hair, smell like chlorine etc are unfounded. The active ion is exactly the same whether one uses tabs, powder or a generator. Properly balanced pools don't smell. Generators do help in keeping the cholorine in the right range though, and that helps with those other issues. Cons are that the generators are expensive to buy and the element needs both periodic cleaning and replacing. The generators use some amount of electricity as well, but if you are on a time of day rate, the cost is pretty minimal. The generators also increase the pH of the water and you will use more acid than if you use cyanuric acid based tabs. It's hard to beat the convenience of a generator if you go out of town frequently.

A regular pool can be made into a salt water pool at any time. It is a relatively easy DIY project even.

I run my pool on tabs in the winter and the generator in summer to prolong the life of the generator. The pool requires hardly any chlorine when the water temp falls so it is no big deal to toss a tab in once a week or so.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 02-19-2009 at 08:31 AM..

Old 02-19-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratepilot View Post
My pool at its deepest point is 18 feet deep and its like bath water in the summer>
18' deep? Yeah right.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:09 AM

13 posts, read 19,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
What's funny is that in the midwest and even in southern California, people heat their pools in the summer because they want that bath water feel where they don't have to adjust to the cold water. I personally don't mind the fact that pool water is a perfect temperature when you get in
True, because in Southern Cal it cools down at night, so it's still a little chilly to get out most nights!

Old 02-19-2009, 10:55 AM

25,105 posts, read 23,014,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniper888 View Post
True, because in Southern Cal it cools down at night, so it's still a little chilly to get out most nights!
That's what Pool / Spa heaters are for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area