Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 08:13 AM

4 posts, read 12,655 times

Advertisements

I am considering taking a new position with the hospital located in Globe. I live in Pittsburgh now and I am used to living in a city where it is a short drive to whatever you want. I just don't like the weather here any longer thus my reasons for relocating . So my question is what would be an area to live in that is a 30-45 minutes drive to Globe but also a reasonable drive (same 30-40 minutes) to shopping, dining, entertainment, etc. for a couple in their 30's? I'm not looking at this move as a permanent situation as I will likely take a different position and move closer to Phoenix when my son reaches school age to get him into a better school district.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion, insights, and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 08:18 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,029,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdjones72 View Post
I am considering taking a new position with the hospital located in Globe. I live in Pittsburgh now and I am used to living in a city where it is a short drive to whatever you want. I just don't like the weather here any longer thus my reasons for relocating . So my question is what would be an area to live in that is a 30-45 minutes drive to Globe but also a reasonable drive (same 30-40 minutes) to shopping, dining, entertainment, etc. for a couple in their 30's? I'm not looking at this move as a permanent situation as I will likely take a different position and move closer to Phoenix when my son reaches school age to get him into a better school district.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion, insights, and advice.
The East Valley (Mesa/Apache Junction) part of the Phx metro is about 1 hour from the Globe area.

Personally; I like the Globe/Miami area but, big city it ain't.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:45 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,249,410 times
ArizonaBear is right-- east Mesa & AJ are as close as you are going to get to major shopping/dining/entertainment. Globe is a nice town, and it's a pleasant drive up there, but there's not much there, there.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:57 AM

214 posts, read 1,307,944 times
Globe is certainly a cool old town. Of sorts. Kinda.

Until recently the town had a bit of a boom again withe copper mining but I think this is going away as quickly as it seemed to come. As like many an old mining town the booms and busts are part of the cycle that makes the town what it is.

A bit higher in elevation and protected from the desert floor, the temps are a bit lower, the air clearer and the scenery, well there is some. But big town (or even small town) I'd say it's not. I'd have to call it more of a survivors town. Not in a bad way but just that those who live there I think choose to because they want to be away from the big city. Often retired, old family or low income they have a modest and quaint town to live in and I'm all for that.

Coming from a true city however you might find all this a bit inspiring at first but I'm thinkin' in a month or two you might feel a bit boxed in. East Valley cities are your answer but I'm not sure I'd want to drive that road daily for that distance.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:05 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,284,134 times
If you do live in East Mesa or Apache Junction you are going to get tired of the drive to Globe and back. It is a little over an hour and you have to drive through the Superstition Mountains, which isn't a bad drive, but every day? Plus, many times it is one lane and you get stuck behind big trucks that go very slow. I know I would get sick of it. My opinion would be to live in Globe/Miami and then drive to the city when you want to go shopping, etc. until you get a job in Phoenix area, then move to the Phoenix area.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd TCE View Post
Globe is certainly a cool old town. Of sorts. Kinda.

Until recently the town had a bit of a boom again withe copper mining but I think this is going away as quickly as it seemed to come. As like many an old mining town the booms and busts are part of the cycle that makes the town what it is.

A bit higher in elevation and protected from the desert floor, the temps are a bit lower, the air clearer and the scenery, well there is some. But big town (or even small town) I'd say it's not. I'd have to call it more of a survivors town. Not in a bad way but just that those who live there I think choose to because they want to be away from the big city. Often retired, old family or low income they have a modest and quaint town to live in and I'm all for that.

Coming from a true city however you might find all this a bit inspiring at first but I'm thinkin' in a month or two you might feel a bit boxed in. East Valley cities are your answer but I'm not sure I'd want to drive that road daily for that distance.
As you stated, line for line. Although; with the housing price implosion here in the Phx area; home prices in Globe are not that much different anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
If you do live in East Mesa or Apache Junction you are going to get tired of the drive to Globe and back. It is a little over an hour and you have to drive through the Superstition Mountains, which isn't a bad drive, but every day? Plus, many times it is one lane and you get stuck behind big trucks that go very slow. I know I would get sick of it. My opinion would be to live in Globe/Miami and then drive to the city when you want to go shopping, etc. until you get a job in Phoenix area, then move to the Phoenix area.
In all fairness: Hwy 60 is now 4 lane all the way from Florence Junction to just before Superior.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:59 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,284,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

In all fairness: Hwy 60 is now 4 lane all the way from Florence Junction to just before Superior.
Yeah I suppose that is true... that does help, A LOT! But is is still one lane many times going through the actual mountain.

And I meant the Superior Mountains, not Superstition (oops).

Old 02-24-2009, 08:59 AM

4 posts, read 12,655 times
Thanks for the input thus far folks. My concern here is that I would buy a home in Globe then in a year or two when I decide to move to the West Valley I won't be able to sell my house. I could rent, but but I don't know what the rental situation in like in Globe/Miami. My primary reason for considering this position is their willingness to pay a substantial part of relocating to AZ from PA which is no small cost. In all reality I would prefer to live in the West Valley, Suprise to be specific, but the jobs available to me there do not have the perks of relocation assistance or sign on bonuses that I can get in places like Globe.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdjones72 View Post
Thanks for the input thus far folks. My concern here is that I would buy a home in Globe then in a year or two when I decide to move to the West Valley I won't be able to sell my house. I could rent, but but I don't know what the rental situation in like in Globe/Miami. My primary reason for considering this position is their willingness to pay a substantial part of relocating to AZ from PA which is no small cost. In all reality I would prefer to live in the West Valley, Suprise to be specific, but the jobs available to me there do not have the perks of relocation assistance or sign on bonuses that I can get in places like Globe.
You have to do what is best for you.

Evidently; you prefer the Surprise area over Globe/Miami which I can respect.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:42 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,825,885 times
Elsewhere in Gila County, fast-growing Payson might offer more amenities. It's still pretty small, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area