Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 06:25 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wng View Post
Oregano's in Old Town Scottsdale is very good.
And there's a gelato/cafe place a few blocks north on Scottsdale Rd. that has free WiFi.
Oooh, r u talking about The Gelato Spot? Damn, that's some goooooood stuff!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 09:38 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,055,731 times
Carolina's is very good and says Phoenix, as does many other great spots.....

if you aren't near the Mojave location, there is a second location on the NE corner of Cactus and Cave Creek in the NE part of the valley.....

order at the counter, paper plates, styrofoam cups, very cheap, famous for their tortillas, enchilada sauce, and...well...their food!....popular with locals of all kinds

in fact, with your $20 budget, you could go twice!

Old 02-19-2009, 09:44 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times
Doesn't really say Phoenix, but Cibo Urban pizzeria is amazing stuff...very good food and great ambiance.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:41 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wng View Post
Oregano's in Old Town Scottsdale is very good.
And there's a gelato/cafe place a few blocks north on Scottsdale Rd. that has free WiFi.
Good call on Oreganos. The food is really good and affordable. Some of the pizzas can be a ripoff but the pasta and salads are tasty, filling and inexpensive.

I also like La Canasta on 7th ave and Buckeye in downtown Phoenix but just go there before 8 PM because the area can be a little scary.

I also like Teakwoods bar and grill. It's kind of upscale bar food. Their plates are huge, service is great and prices are low. The food is pretty simple and straightforward too. I love their salads and they have the best grilled buffalo chicken sandwhich.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:56 AM

584 posts, read 2,422,692 times
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have my obligatory In N Out burger when I get into town (no In N Out in North Carolina) and looking forward to trying one of your suggestions!

Old 02-20-2009, 11:26 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,997,265 times
If you find yourself on the west side - PoPo's on 67th & Indian School is fantastic if you don't mind hole-in-the-wall locations. Probably one the the best Mexican food restaurants on the valley.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:41 PM

116 posts, read 368,336 times
The Garcia's on N. 35th Ave in West Phoenix. The neighborhood is not the best but the food and atmosphere of the place is good.
(sorry the website says under construction http://www.garciasmexicanrestaurants.net/)

Also the Ranch Market on Roosevelt and 16th Street has a very good sit down place.
(right next door to the supermarket which has a deli type fast food)
Tradiciones (http://www.tradicionesrestaurant.com/ - broken link)

Both of these places are above the fast food, and genuinely fine mexican food restaurants.

As far as coffee shops, I dunno.

As far as a breakfast, I found a true gem in the east valley (i traveled roughly 40 miles just for this twice already). Its called The Gilbert House.
http://www.gilberthouserestaurant.com

Outside of feeling southwestern..
If you feel like Spaghetti, suggest a stop at the Old Spaghetti Factory on N. Central Av in Central Phoenix. The Old Spaghetti Factory : Welcome
or,
On the borderline of $20 for solo dining...
If you like tappenyaki cooking right in front of you, suggest Ah-So Japanese Restaurant, a few locations throughout the valley. (showing the Mesa, AZ location website)
Ah So Restaurant

Old 02-25-2009, 05:13 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,167 times
If you are interested in Mexican:

Ajo Al's. A couple locations including like Shea & Scottsdale area. I think they have pretty good food, and meet your under $20 budget.

Or there is always Super Burrito. ;-) A dumpy restaurant at 2601 Scottsdale Rd. At work instead of doing the traditional birthday cake or potluck for special occasions, we have Super Burrito Feasts. the burritos are huge and under $5 I believe.

The ultimate if you want "atmosphere"-a bit of a drive tho. Carefree Station in Carefree. Muy cool indoor and outdoor areas in a Mexican courtyard kind of deal. Especially cool if you go at night. Pretty good food. You could do entree and a beverage for $20.

Not Mexican but if you want the whole desert cowboy wild west thing-Pinnacle Peak Patio steakhouse. If it is still there? I heard rumors they were tearing down and rebuilding but not sure if that has happened yet.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:27 PM

10 posts, read 44,317 times
Smile "Joe's Farm Grill" in Gilbert.

This place is wonderful! Fresh food grown on the premises, inexpensive, and ohhh, so good!

Joe's Farm Grill Main

Last edited by Stu Podastle; 02-25-2009 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: fixed link

Old 02-25-2009, 10:58 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,467 times
Filiberto's is fast-food Mexican with many locations around the Valley. Very good food for under $10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area