Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 05:59 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times

Advertisements

no
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 06:44 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,091 times
I survived a summer without a/c in the car. Is was no fun, but I lived.

I'm told there used to be a saying 100 years or so ago in southern Arizona: "Men and Mules only!" I guess it was common for women and children to spend the summers in places like Prescott and Flagstaff, where the temperatures were not as hot. But the men would remain to tend to the farms.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:48 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post

I'm told there used to be a saying 100 years or so ago in southern Arizona: "Men and Mules only!" I guess it was common for women and children to spend the summers in places like Prescott and Flagstaff, where the temperatures were not as hot. But the men would remain to tend to the farms.
And the hookers remained to tend to the men.

There is a campsite in the Bradshaw Mountains NW of PHX that is the remains of a camp used by these women (the ones sent to the high country).

Old 07-16-2009, 09:37 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
I have an old camaro I drive everyday and I havent had a/c in over 5 years, but then growing up we never had cars with a/c in them. So no biggie here

Old 07-17-2009, 10:15 AM

99 posts, read 386,570 times
I survived living in Palm Springs (coming from Seattle) (which I think is comparable to Phoenix heat) in 1990 which I believe was one of the hottest 122 degrees summers I do remember a few days of Palm Springs heat being hotter than Phoenix the radio stations in Palm Spings & Phoenix were competing who was hotter lol . The worst part for me was going into air conditioning places I would freeze. It was too hard to adjust for me. My boyfriend at the time (now my husband) did not have air conditioning in his car either .

Old 07-19-2009, 10:30 AM

725 posts, read 2,321,359 times
I don't think Phx. would be as big as it is without air-conditioning.

Yeah, you can survive but it wouldn't be as comfortable, especially in July or Aug. The quality of life would sure suck without it!!!!!!!!

Old 07-19-2009, 01:35 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,150,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homlish560 View Post

Yeah, you can survive but it wouldn't be as comfortable, especially in July or Aug. The quality of life would sure suck without it!!!!!!!!
The heat index today is 107 ONE HUNDRED and SEVEN, thats the temp and humidity combined. ...exactly who has no air conditioning that thinks its comfortable.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:56 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,955,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZBEA View Post
Why place their Swamp Coolers on TOP of the houses or their AC directly on the western side of the house?
I realize this is somewhat tangential to the topic, but it seems to me that swamp coolers would work better on the roof because the cool air is heavier and would sink uniformly into the house. My parents had a swamp cooler on the roof when they lived in Salt Lake and they loved it.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:38 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,252,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homlish560 View Post

Absolutely right! That's why I can't understand these bozos who claim that life in Phoenix would be just fine without A/C. All you have to do is look at the population growth statistics. Before WWII when A/C was very uncommon, Phoenix grew at a very slow rate. But after WWII when A/C became more standard and affordable, the growth rate accelerated rapidly.

Also, not everyone can survive without A/C. Many elderly people with health problems are at higher risk for heat stroke and even death without sufficient cooling. Even those in their 40s, like me, would have a difficult time surviving because of certain health issues. It's not always a person's body weight or lifestyle that determine their tolerance levels toward heat. I'm pretty lean and fit, but I'm also Diabetic. I used to be very tolerant toward the summer heat, but no so much anymore now that I'm older and have this condition.

As far as A/C malfunctioning in cars, that usually isn't a huge problem to repair. Even new compressors can run as low as a few hundred dollars ... not really a big price to pay considering that comfort and quality of life are important here in the summer. Not to mention that those who drive around with windows rolled down & arms sticking out of the windows are often the ones who do the stupidest things in traffic: weave between lanes, turn in front of others, don't get moving on green lights, etc. Their brains are obviously warped from the heat!

Old 07-19-2009, 03:40 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,125,525 times
in the 100yrs ive lived here i would not recomend it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area