Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 10:22 PM

416 posts, read 2,509,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by councilor j View Post
Tacoma is not bad,I lived there for a few years,that place is a joke.
Where were you in T-town? I am from there and had a car stolen, 3 attempted burgleries while home alone, robbed at gunpoint while working, car broken into, in the middle of 2 drive by shootings, all grandparents places been burglerized, old school mates been killed by random drivebys, shootings occured frequently, one uncle got shot while his truck was being stolen, the chief of police shot his wife and himself in front of his children, etc, etc, etc.

Not a bad place, but when you've been there for 28 years vs a few years, your life can change.

East Side - gang and drug infested
North End - juvy detention/nicest area but crime infested
Parkland/spanaway - meth territory
Hilltop - renovation after driveby sprees - crip territory

All school systems are rated as bad as the worst spot in Florida, kids have to defend themselves - school is hazardous

Old 04-13-2007, 12:57 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,788,036 times
One crime that is prevalent in Phoenix that hasn't gotten much if any attention in this installment of 'crime in AZ' is identity theft. Phoenix is way up there if not at the top of the US list for this crime.

The best way to prevent becoming a victim of identity theft is common sense. Or move to Atlanta, since the greater metro area there is so safe. Unless of course, you move into the city of Atlanta where your chances of being murdered are nearly twice that of Los Angeles. Of course, you wouldn't know how dangerous the city is if you relied on Metropolitan area crime stats. And, of course, your chances of being robbed in Atlanta are more than double than your chances in Phoenix, which means the bad guy has your drivers license and house keys and now knows where you live. Of course, if you are murdered during the robbery, it seems that having your identity stolen just isn't that important anymore, of course. Hmmm...

One tidbit of information that I just discovered this tonight. For whatever reason the FBI, which is the primary source of all these crime stats we keep hearing about, includes PINAL COUNTY in it's definition of the Greater Phoenix Metropolitan Area. All 5,374 square miles of it. All the way from the outskirts of Chandler to about 20 miles from Tucson. I gotta say it one more time: Metro area statistical data is useless. The true Phoenix metro area and Pinal county comprise an area greater in size than several east coast states...combined!

One final thought on identity theft;
I wonder how those identity thieves can remember who they are, having so many different identities. Sort of like some people who regularly post comments here. Must be very confusing. Of course, it seems there must be ways of keeping them all straight, of course.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:50 AM

253 posts, read 376,055 times
I don't know where this nonsense is coming from about the UK being "safe" but crime statistics over the past year or two show that London is now the most dangerous city in the Western world, with Glasgow at #2, so the UK is NOT safe. This all began when the UK banned and confiscated handguns from honest citizens, meaning only criminals have guns now.

In fact London has recently earned the nickname "the new Beirut" due to out-of-control crime.

At least when I lived in Arizona I legally carried a gun and didn't worry much about criminals. Yes, Phoenix has higher crime than the national average, but there are some very bad areas and as long as you live and work in a good area you will be mostly immune from crime. The one exception is property crime; auto thefts and burglaries are very high in Arizona so you need to prepare and make your house difficult to burglarize. The two worst areas for burglaries are northeast Phoenix and Scottsdale.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:05 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,482,037 times
Originally Posted by Cyanna
"Anyway, I would like to get back to discussing crime, or the lack of crime, in Phoenix and surrounding areas. I am curious if anyone knows how many of the murders, stabbings and shootings were gang-on-gang aggression?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeraphSteph View Post
It is so very hard to keep a straight face when reading this because Greater Phoenix has higher crime than any city in the UK, and one of the higher crime cities in the US. It appears as though you are just talking yourself into believing the crime is low in Phoenix and high in the UK when it is the opposite on both counts. I have to agree with a previous poster that the crime in Phoenix is above the national US average, and this can also be seen at this web site...
I don't know why that particular comment of mine has caused you difficulty in maintaining a straight-face. I do believe that the main topic of the discussion is crime in the Phoenix area, or for others, the LACK of crime. Everyone has differing opinions, which is why I worded it in such a way.

I have lived in the Phoenix area, I have lived in Southern California, and I currently reside in the UK. I am basing my opinions on what I have personally witnessed in life. I have already stated that I would not trust any stats put out by the government, so your link to the Home Office was of no use. Instead of basing your "knowledge" on stats that you read I would suggest that instead you move to the UK for a 6 month period to see what it is like for the average person. I reiterate yet again that there are indeed murders and other crimes that are never reported to the media. A 13 year old boy stabbed to death in front of a house just four doors up from me was never in the newspaper or on the local news channel. This is what the average person sees, but not the rest of the world.

Regarding crime that happens on a regular basis...
A few nights ago 52 cars on the same street in Lemington had their tires slashed.
http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/j...name_page.html

A few weeks ago the same was done to 50 cars in another area.
http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/c...name_page.html

Here's another 50 cars!

And more... http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/j...name_page.html

And yet another...

At Christmas time 23 cars on the same street had their tires slashed, windows broken and spray paint all over the bodies. I could go on and on but I fear it would take hours to post all the links for just the North East of England, let alone the rest of the country. Most of these incidents happened in what are considered GOOD neighbourhoods (estates). For some areas this is such a regular crime that it is never reported in the news media. If you phone the police to report someone committing a crime against you or your home it is highly likely that by the next night a petrol bomb will be pushed through your letter box, your house windows will be broken and your car will be set on fire if you have one. If you call the police again the crime against you will escalate and get worse until someone is either killed or you are forced to move out of your home. This is not isolated behaviour, it is standard and expected. Generally, in order to protect themselves from becoming targets, your once friendly neighbours will suddenly turn against you. This is a FACT of life in the UK. One older couple just went through a year of hell of having petrol bombs thrown at their house, windows busted out as soon as they were replaced and death threats. The police never arrested anyone because they did not personally SEE the acts being committed by the accused and nobody would come forward as witnesses. Just a few weeks ago this older couple decided to put a sign in their own kitchen window asking for witnesses to come forward. The older couple were ARRESTED for causing malicious distress and harassment. Keep in mind that I have close, personal friends on the police force, so I get a bit more info.

Now, can we get back to discussing crime in the Phoenix area? I believe the last question I asked was... I am curious if anyone knows how many of the murders, stabbings and shootings were gang-on-gang aggression?

Last edited by Cyanna; 04-13-2007 at 06:12 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-13-2007, 06:10 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,482,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevercoldcall View Post
I don't know where this nonsense is coming from about the UK being "safe" but crime statistics over the past year or two show that London is now the most dangerous city in the Western world, with Glasgow at #2, so the UK is NOT safe. This all began when the UK banned and confiscated handguns from honest citizens, meaning only criminals have guns now.

In fact London has recently earned the nickname "the new Beirut" due to out-of-control crime.
Thank you for jumping in on this one! Regarding London, yes, very accurate description. My friend was born in London and raised there and she will not go back. Not far from us is a place called Throckley, once considered a very desirable, upper-class area. It is now being called "Little Beirut." I will feel more secure living in Arizona where not only do the police have guns, but citizens also have the right to own one.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:10 AM

253 posts, read 376,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
citizens also have the right to own one.
And more importantly the right to carry one! Getting a permit was an easy process, you take a class and pass a written test and shooting test. You get used to carrying quickly, and once you learn how to carry concealed with a good holster, no one will ever notice. Nobody ever noticed mine, even my girlfriend wasn't sure when I was carrying and when I wasn't, unless she actually patted me down looking for the gun ... LOL.

Now that I'm in California I'm delighted to learn that Orange County also issues carry permits to qualified citizens, so I'm back to the process of getting one here.

Old 04-13-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevercoldcall View Post
And more importantly the right to carry one! Getting a permit was an easy process, you take a class and pass a written test and shooting test. You get used to carrying quickly, and once you learn how to carry concealed with a good holster, no one will ever notice. Nobody ever noticed mine, even my girlfriend wasn't sure when I was carrying and when I wasn't, unless she actually patted me down looking for the gun ... LOL.

Now that I'm in California I'm delighted to learn that Orange County also issues carry permits to qualified citizens, so I'm back to the process of getting one here.
I can't imagine going anywhere without one. It's just another example of common sense, considering the world we live in. A lot like wearing a seatbelt. You may never need it, but it could save your life. Anybody who claims they do everything they can to protect themselves and their families but don't own a firearm are kidding themselves. Making the choice to own and carry requires a serious commitment. Regular practice, learning weapons safety and weapon retention techniques. How to handle and operate the weapon needs to become instinctive. If you have to stop and think about how to use it, keep it locked up except to practice until it becomes second nature. If you have to take your eyes off the target to perform almost any function short of cleaning, you aren't there yet. The anti-gun people think carrying = shooting. Obviously not true. Just having the option to threaten deadly force can end what might otherwise become fatal confrontation.

Nevercoldcall, you might want to check with the CA authorities. It was my understanding that some states that allow CCW will honor out of state permits. You might be able to carry while you're working on the CA permit.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:29 PM

155 posts, read 821,401 times
Oh sure - why don't we all start up the "Ole Wild West" and let the kids find the guns in the homes and shoot each other"by accident"
has anyone looked to see the stats on that here in Phoenix - you will be amazed at how high that is - because we "adults" forgot to lock them up - hide the ammunition -
You know what all you "root tootin" gun enthusiasts keep your guns - and I am out of here, out of Phx, out of AZ - before another neighbor kid is killed - while left alone in their home -
And if you want to know if I have facts - ask my neighbor who lost her 12 yr 3 weeks ago - because her son 's neighbor just "wanted to show" him his dads loaded gun.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deem View Post
Oh sure - why don't we all start up the "Ole Wild West" and let the kids find the guns in the homes and shoot each other"by accident"
has anyone looked to see the stats on that here in Phoenix - you will be amazed at how high that is - because we "adults" forgot to lock them up - hide the ammunition -
You know what all you "root tootin" gun enthusiasts keep your guns - and I am out of here, out of Phx, out of AZ - before another neighbor kid is killed - while left alone in their home -
And if you want to know if I have facts - ask my neighbor who lost her 12 yr 3 weeks ago - because her son 's neighbor just "wanted to show" him his dads loaded gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
Making the choice to own and carry requires a serious commitment.
I'm a gun proponent, not an enthusiast. They are tools, not toys. Should we keep our kids from driving too? It's a hell of lot more dangerous than having a firearm in the house. My father taught me to respect firearms and how to handle them safely. I taught my kids the same. We could argue the topic of safety forever. More kids drown in pools in Phoenix than die from "accidental" (no such thing) gunshots. Should we ban pools? Irresponsible people shouldn't own firearms. They shouldn't breed either, but unfortunately it's legal for them to do both. Deem, your neighbor's neighbor and his son were at fault, not the gun.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:20 PM

82 posts, read 280,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
One crime that is prevalent in Phoenix that hasn't gotten much if any attention in this installment of 'crime in AZ' is identity theft. Phoenix is way up there if not at the top of the US list for this crime.
This happened to my relatives in Phx...it was a scam that a walmart employee was pulling when customers used their bank/credit cards. Atleast that's what the police said...

Another relative had their purse stolen and they went on a small spending spree but luckily their identity was intact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area