Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 02:02 PM

14 posts, read 72,816 times

Advertisements

Wow! I have been on this website looking around for a few days and it seems as though Pheonix is the crime capital. After reading all of the posts I think I may be afraid to move here and i live right outside of Richmond VA. Can anyone tell me anything good about living in or around Pheonix?

Old 03-19-2007, 02:30 PM

401 posts, read 2,604,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocate07 View Post
Wow! I have been on this website looking around for a few days and it seems as though Pheonix is the crime capital. After reading all of the posts I think I may be afraid to move here and i live right outside of Richmond VA. Can anyone tell me anything good about living in or around Pheonix?
Im about ready to stop coming on these boards because of how people make crime look in Phoenix. Im very familiar with Phoenix and spend a significant amount of time there and let me say this for the millionth time on this board. It is not 1/15th as bad as people make it out to be. It is so overdone and I just cant believe it. Everyone is scared of their own shadow. I know about Richmond, VA and can assure you that crime is no worse in Phoenix than in Richmond. Dont listen to these people who are paralyzed by fear of crime, Moderator cut: personal insults I dont want to come around as if there is NO crime in Phoenix, but if you watch where youre going and watch your mouth, you will not have any problems

Last edited by Marka; 03-20-2007 at 02:33 AM..

Old 03-19-2007, 02:51 PM
ejk

126 posts, read 594,536 times
This site uses FBI stats. With the exception of auto theft, Phoenix comes out looking much safer than Richmond.

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 05:51 AM..

Old 03-19-2007, 02:53 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Scottie is right. In your day to day life, you will probably not be affected too much with crime, unless you live in total ghetto. But if you're coming from a small town that is a safe place, it will be different.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:27 PM

56 posts, read 56,281 times
I've actually found 'Steve22' to be quite helpful in my research, and I haven't seen anything that he has made-up at all. Most of what I have seen him post has either been his own personal experiences, or facts that can be supported.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejk View Post
This site uses FBI stats. With the exception of auto theft, Phoenix comes out looking much safer than Richmond.
I don't think it comes out looking 'much' safer as both places are very dangerous it seems, and also because you're only comparing one part of Phoenix. The 'city' of Phoenix may be better than Richmond, but only 1,500,000 people live in the 'city' of Phoenix, while about 3,900,000 live in the greater Phoenix metropolitan statistical area.

The thing about Phoenix it seems is that there are 'ghetto' areas mixed in throughout the entire metropolitan area, which is unique to other cities, so because of this, it's more accurate to compare the entire metroploitan area in my opinion. When this is done, Phoenix is in the top-25 most dangerous metropolitan areas in the country, and of cities that also have more than 3 million people, only Detroit and Miami are rated worse.

This can be seen here...

http://www.morganquitno.com/cit07pop.htm#METRO

The state of Arizona is also rated as the 4th most dangerous state in the country, and only Nevada, Louisiana, and New Mexico are considered worse...

http://www.morganquitno.com/dangsaf06.htm

Last edited by Marka; 03-20-2007 at 02:35 AM.. Reason: removed quote

Old 03-19-2007, 05:22 PM
ejk

126 posts, read 594,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Holland View Post
I've actually found 'Steve22' to be quite helpful in my research, and I haven't seen anything that he has made-up at all. Most of what I have seen him post has either been his own personal experiences, or facts that can be supported.I don't think it comes out looking 'much' safer as both places are very dangerous it seems, and also because you're only comparing one part of Phoenix. The 'city' of Phoenix may be better than Richmond, but only 1,500,000 people live in the 'city' of Phoenix, while about 3,900,000 live in the greater Phoenix metropolitan statistical area.

The thing about Phoenix it seems is that there are 'ghetto' areas mixed in throughout the entire metropolitan area, which is unique to other cities, so because of this, it's more accurate to compare the entire metroploitan area in my opinion.
Well sure, any time you look at a larger city you need to assess the entire metro area and not just the city proper.

It really is a matter of perception. I've driven through some of the Phoenix "ghetto" areas and I didn't think they looked as bad as Cabrini Green, Robert Taylor (both now gone) or a lot of other parts of Chicago that I've seen. Not everyone will agree with me there, I am sure. For total crime, Arizona is pretty high up there, unfortunately. But for violent crime, which is where my main concern lies, it is not so bad.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:57 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,451,160 times
There are good parts and bad parts of Arizona. If you've lived in a decent area before, the crime is probably bad. Outside of the bad parts of Phoenix, the crime is basically car theft (we're number one), robbery, and enemies commiting crimes against each other.

Quote:
but if you watch where youre going and watch your mouth, you will not have any problems
For the most part this is true, but in some areas it was not. I've actually been a victim of a violent crime, and didn't even know the person that did it.

The point is that some areas have very, very little crime. If you stay in these areas, you'll probably be fine. The bad parts are bad, though.
I've heard that Richmond is very high on the crime list, though, so it may not be much different!

Old 03-19-2007, 06:01 PM

401 posts, read 2,604,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Holland View Post
I've actually found 'Steve22' to be quite helpful in my research, and I haven't seen anything that he has made-up at all.
The thing about Phoenix it seems is that there are 'ghetto' areas mixed in throughout the entire metropolitan area, which is unique to other cities, so because of this, it's more accurate to compare the entire metroploitan area in my opinion. When this is done, Phoenix is in the top-25 most dangerous metropolitan areas in the country, and of cities that also have more than 3 million people, only Detroit and Miami are rated worse.

First of all, I have directly proved Steve22 wrong on some of his "facts" and he has even written me messages saying he made a mistake. I come back the next week and he is posting the same junk. He hates Phoenix and will do anything to make it look bad.

Second, I would LOVE for some of you guys who are raving how terrible Phoenix is to spend JUST ONE WEEK in the inner-cities of places like Miami (where the entire county is all hispanic and black) Detroit (you think Phoenix is a ghetto?), Cleveland (you will see the definition of poverty), LA, Compton, Inglewood, Hawthorne (where gangs will shoot at you for fun and to get thier stripes), Chicago (murder capital of America), Atlanta, New Orleans, Philadelphia/Camden NJ, St Louis, Gary Indiana etc....
I can guarantee that after one night you would be BEGGING to get back to Phoenix. I hate to sound mean, but Ive been all around Phoenix, in the really bad and really nice areas. You guys HAVE NEVER seen a true ghetto and never seen a true hood. Moderator cut: racist implications You wouldnt survive one day in any of those cities without have the living crap scared out of you.

Last edited by Marka; 03-20-2007 at 02:36 AM..

Old 03-19-2007, 06:07 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,955,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
First of all, I have directly proved Steve22 wrong on some of his "facts" and he has even written me messages saying he made a mistake. I come back the next week and he is posting the same junk. He hates Phoenix and will do anything to make it look bad.

Second, I would LOVE for some of you guys who are raving how terrible Phoenix is to spend JUST ONE WEEK in the inner-cities of places like Miami (where the entire county is all hispanic and black) Detroit (you think Phoenix is a ghetto?), Cleveland (you will see the definition of poverty), LA, Compton, Inglewood, Hawthorne (where gangs will shoot at you for fun and to get thier stripes), Chicago (murder capital of America), Atlanta, New Orleans, Philadelphia/Camden NJ, St Louis, Gary Indiana etc....
I can guarantee that after one night you would be BEGGING to get back to Phoenix. I hate to sound mean, but Ive been all around Phoenix, in the really bad and really nice areas. You guys HAVE NEVER seen a true ghetto and never seen a true hood.

26 years in NYC

Last edited by Marka; 03-20-2007 at 02:37 AM.. Reason: edited quote

Old 03-19-2007, 06:59 PM

132 posts, read 517,046 times
I completly agree with Scottie, people on this site drive me nuts talking about crime in Phoenix. I live in central Phoenix, downtown, most people think I live in the ghetto. I think most people in Phoenix assume any area that has buildings that are more than 10 years old is ghetto. Phoenix may have some bad neighborhoods but no ghettos. Its obvious to me that anyone that says Phoenix has high crime is just repeating what they hear on the news or they have never been to any other city. I'm not going to argue about this anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area