Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 12:23 AM

13,722 posts, read 7,992,868 times

Advertisements

In San Diego I almost killed an illegal after pulling into home depot parking lot using a side entrance. Five guys rushed the car just as I pulled in and thinking I was getting car jacked hit the gas.

Just missed hitting one guy as I shot away before I realized they were day laborers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 01:34 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,716,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
In San Diego I almost killed an illegal after pulling into home depot parking lot using a side entrance. Five guys rushed the car just as I pulled in and thinking I was getting car jacked hit the gas.

Just missed hitting one guy as I shot away before I realized they were day laborers.
I do not like Far Right ideologies as I have expressed on the E vs W Valley thread. However, I do give Arpaio credit for being proactive . My attitude is simple. Be a law abiding citizen and you won't have to deal with Tent City. Joe Arpaio is like the Late Joe Paterno. He's a Narcissist like the PSU coach. The authority he has as Sheriff is keeping him alive and healthy. We all know what happened to Paterno as soon as he lost his gig at PSU.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Sorry, I find myself counting the millions of dollars that egomaniac and his henchmen have cost us so far in lawsuits (and may cost more yet before he walks out or is carried out of that office).
Until someone can financially compete with advertisements as well as stand toe to toe with him in a debate setting, Arpaio will be Sheriff until he dies. The guy who ran against him this Fall gave him a little bit of a scare. Lets hope there are more up and comers in the future to take him out of his position.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
The last thing I would do is start another thread about Arpaio, so let me latch on to this one. Piers Morgan had him on the other night. As usual Joe was very serious, stated his opinion on guns which were the topic. But I did realize that the sheriff has a relaxed demeanor about him. He just answered the questions in an easy going way, never raised his voice, never interrupted Piers. In fact he even yielded to Pierce's interruptions.

It got me thinking, I wonder what he's like in person. Anyone ever meet him? All I've ever seen are mostly his interviews regarding immigration, and he's very serious and monotone when talking. I've seen some youtube vids of him in California, endorsing sheriff candidates in Orange County. I wonder if he enjoys his trips to California, at the very least to beat the heat in the summer. He probably can afford to take trips all over the place. And I wonder what he thinks of Los Angeles? Sometimes people will suprise you, he may not demonize LA like the way one might assume him to.
Orange County is extremely politically conservative. Arpaio likely feels right at home there. LA County is the far more Liberal County in the LA Metro Area.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:12 AM

846 posts, read 1,400,717 times
I do not like him. But I am encouraged by the percentage of points he has won by has decreased (Joe Arpaio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia <-- I tried to find a different link but this was the best one). I have had relatives in Tent City, but I have not been. Their stories are unreal, but I have no desire to find out if they are true or not ;-)

Old 01-13-2013, 10:27 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,645,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
I do not like him. But I am encouraged by the percentage of points he has won by has decreased (Joe Arpaio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia <-- I tried to find a different link but this was the best one). I have had relatives in Tent City, but I have not been. Their stories are unreal, but I have no desire to find out if they are true or not ;-)
Isn't that the point? Jails are not supposed to be a fun place. They are supposed to be someplace you DON'T want to go back to.
I know someone in prison and they have weight rooms, tracks, baseball diamonds, basketball hoops, cable tv, access to phones any time they want and within the confines of the prison, complete freedom to do what they please. Add to that, free medical care, free dental, free clothing and 3 free meals a day.
3 hots and a cot as they say. There is a reason so many go back to prison. It's their comfort zone.
While Sheriff Joe is certainly a publicity hound, he does make jail a not so fun place to be and I'm ok with that. Not only that, he has brought down the cost of jailing someone significantly.
I'm not necessarily a Sheriff Joe fan but I don't hate him either. He does his job the way he thinks it should be done. If someone comes along and defeats him, then the masses have spoken.
There is a reason he is in the position he is in. The MAJORITY of voters put him there.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:05 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,751 times
Arpaio had to spend 8.5 million to win this election. Needless to say that smashed the record spent for a sheriff's job. He did win 51% of the vote so the majority put him in office.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:25 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,685,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Isn't that the point? Jails are not supposed to be a fun place. They are supposed to be someplace you DON'T want to go back to.
I know someone in prison and they have weight rooms, tracks, baseball diamonds, basketball hoops, cable tv, access to phones any time they want and within the confines of the prison, complete freedom to do what they please. Add to that, free medical care, free dental, free clothing and 3 free meals a day.
3 hots and a cot as they say. There is a reason so many go back to prison. It's their comfort zone.
While Sheriff Joe is certainly a publicity hound, he does make jail a not so fun place to be and I'm ok with that. Not only that, he has brought down the cost of jailing someone significantly.
I'm not necessarily a Sheriff Joe fan but I don't hate him either. He does his job the way he thinks it should be done. If someone comes along and defeats him, then the masses have spoken.
There is a reason he is in the position he is in. The MAJORITY of voters put him there.
If you count the hundreds of millions that he has "mis-spent", and the hundreds of millions in lawsuit settlements paid on his behalf, there is no "savings".

Add in the abuse of power, conspiracies to falsely accuse his opponents of wrongdoing & his general senility, and you have nothing left but an attention-whoring windbag.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:29 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,685,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Arpaio had to spend 8.5 million to win this election. Needless to say that smashed the record spent for a sheriff's job. He did win 51% of the vote so the majority put him in office.

And dont forget, most of that 8.5 million came from out of state.

If people from New Yawk city funded an Az senator or governor's campaign, you can bet we'd be heating up the tar and fluffing up the feathers.. for Joe, well, thats another matter..

Old 01-13-2013, 02:36 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
If you count the hundreds of millions that he has "mis-spent", and the hundreds of millions in lawsuit settlements paid on his behalf, there is no "savings".

Add in the abuse of power, conspiracies to falsely accuse his opponents of wrongdoing & his general senility, and you have nothing left but an attention-whoring windbag.
I like his personality and voted for him.

What money did he "mis-spend"?

What "abuse of power"?

What "false accusations"?

You're making all of these blanket statements but you aren't backing them up with hard facts. He also isn't senile, have you ever met him?! He's extremely personable, intelligent, and he knows hard facts and figures like many politicians do not.

You may not like him but over half of the voters evidently support the job he's doing in office. Penzone only received what...44% of the vote? It wasn't exactly a close race at any rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area