Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:15 PM

22 posts, read 134,556 times

Advertisements

I was taught in school to start with an attention grabber. So I hoped it worked without being offensive. I really am black but most of my questions have nothing to do with that.

Ok, so my husband and I decided to fly out to phoenix next week and look for a place. No longer going to try and do it remotely. So now I'm interested in knowing more interesting things. Any recommendations or thoughts on the following?

My husband happens to be White. Aside from the occasional stares we really haven't had any problems in the Midwest. Just curious do you see many mixed race couples in the phoenix area?

How is the job market for the I.T. field? Wondering how difficult it would be for me to find work? I do mainly I.T. Support. My husband just became a licensed lawyer. Any info of the Job market for entry-level lawyers?

Where do the Artists and Theater people hang out? We love hanging out with people who enjoy things like music, photography, theater - the arts.

Anyone know of a good Non-denominational church? We will probably be moving to the North or North/East side of phoenix. In addition to having an awesome and inspiring pastor, I'm looking for a church that has a good choir (wanna join) and don't care if you wear jeans! Would love a mix of people too.

Also, looking for a good coffee house hot spot that is not Starbucks?

Last but not least - Would love a recommendation for a black-hair care stylist.

Thanks everyone !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 12:52 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,274 times
There are lots of mixed race couples in AZ, it's a tradition going all the way back to when Indians were free.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:54 PM

203 posts, read 491,179 times
1) Few good IT jobs in the area (for that matter, few if any good jobs here) 2) Northeast Phoenix (well most of Phoenix for that matter) is 99.9% white..if that matters. Maybe you should try looking in Central Phoenix...more diverse there.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:40 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,167 times
I really don't think your "attention grabber" was appropriate.

-Signed: "Help I'm white and live in Phoenix!"

Old 02-26-2009, 01:57 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,508 times
Central Phx definatly more diverse, but I do not think you will have a problem living anyplace you might choose to live in the valley. Lots of cultural stuff in the downtown and near downtown areas, too, but unless you are rich, the homes available close in may be a bit pricey for you. Almost as many indie coffee places as there are starbucks. . . you should not have a problem finding one close to your (eventual ) location. There are Unitarian Universalist Churches in several valley locations, also Unity Church. . . . sorry, can't help with a stylist who specializes in black hair. . . but I am a white woman who lives in a very nice, and pretty darn diverse, neighborhood in North Phoenix.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:12 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywayy2001 View Post
1) Few good IT jobs in the area (for that matter, few if any good jobs here) 2) Northeast Phoenix (well most of Phoenix for that matter) is 99.9% white..if that matters. Maybe you should try looking in Central Phoenix...more diverse there.
BS! Mixed race couples and non-whites are found all over the valley, north, south, east and west. I think the highest density would be around Goodyear/Litchfield Park etc because of the large number of such people at Luke AFB. But it's common everywhere. I know of four mixed couples that live within 2 miles of my house and our school has many bi-racial kids.

There's been a couple threads on black hair on the forum. Try a search for that.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:25 PM

837 posts, read 2,333,889 times
what kind of law does he want to practice, and has he taken the AZ bar?

Old 02-26-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg View Post
what kind of law does he want to practice, and has he taken the AZ bar?
Yep. He has passed the AZ bar. His initial interest has been Real Estate. Not sure how that would work in this economy but he also has an interest in litigation/litigation discovery support.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
There's been a couple threads on black hair on the forum. Try a search for that.
Good idea. I'll look at that. Thanks!

Old 02-26-2009, 08:04 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,568,295 times
When I first moved to Phoenix my girlfriend at that time was Arabic. At times her skin could get very dark and she could be mistaken for being black. We never had stares. My skin color is white although I'm part American indian.

I spend a lot of time in public at Phoenix Sky Harbor airport. See a lot of mixxed races. I expect a lot of mixed races near ASU and perhaps near Luke Air Force Base.

I think Phoenix is more open to mixed races than the midwest.

I'm into embedded software (not IT). As a sales pitch, check out Oxford Global Resources. They specialize in jobs for computer types, including IT. Oxford Global Resources | SAP Jobs | Oracle DBA Careers | IT Recruiters | Engineering | Consulting | Staffing They have an office in Phoenix too.

Anywhere that software engineers are hired there are IT types. But there are much more places without embedded software that hire IT. So you should find some good jobs. Personally I can only choose from General Dynamics, Honeywell, Boeing, Lockheed, Orbital Sciences for example. I am more specialized than IT. My sister was a web developer for some company in Scottsdale I think called SAP. She also worked at Intel, which I'm sure hires in IT area.

I know nothing about Art. I like music. You can find all types of music venues in the Phoenix area. Pick up a copy of New Times (the local leftist rag).

As for churces, I'm not experienced, being that I'm an atheist. My ex is a Muslim, but Muslim-lite. She did not go to Moques or pray 5 times a day or wear all the garb. Dresses or blue jeans were fine for her.

Coffee? Non-starbucks? Not sure.

Can't help on black hair stylist either

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzlisa View Post
I was taught in school to start with an attention grabber. So I hoped it worked without being offensive. I really am black but most of my questions have nothing to do with that.

Ok, so my husband and I decided to fly out to phoenix next week and look for a place. No longer going to try and do it remotely. So now I'm interested in knowing more interesting things. Any recommendations or thoughts on the following?

My husband happens to be White. Aside from the occasional stares we really haven't had any problems in the Midwest. Just curious do you see many mixed race couples in the phoenix area?

How is the job market for the I.T. field? Wondering how difficult it would be for me to find work? I do mainly I.T. Support. My husband just became a licensed lawyer. Any info of the Job market for entry-level lawyers?

Where do the Artists and Theater people hang out? We love hanging out with people who enjoy things like music, photography, theater - the arts.

Anyone know of a good Non-denominational church? We will probably be moving to the North or North/East side of phoenix. In addition to having an awesome and inspiring pastor, I'm looking for a church that has a good choir (wanna join) and don't care if you wear jeans! Would love a mix of people too.

Also, looking for a good coffee house hot spot that is not Starbucks?

Last but not least - Would love a recommendation for a black-hair care stylist.

Thanks everyone !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area