Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 01:33 PM

434 posts, read 3,177,470 times

Advertisements

I have not heard any negative comments on my home from the people that have gone through it. The house is vacant, but I left a little bit of furniture to stage it. It's a nice little starter house in north central Phoenix and it shows very well. Almost everyone that has looked at the house likes it and about half say they want to put in an offer, then my agent never hears from them again. Their guess is that the people that are looking at my house are having a hard time getting financed, especially if they are first time home buyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 01:39 PM

3 posts, read 9,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micrguy View Post
Just curious to see if anyone else is having a hard time selling their house or if my agent is blowing smoke about the market right now. I have had my house for sale for six months and have not received one offer and have only had 4-5 people look at the house. It's in Phoenix over by Metro Center in a decent neighborhood and it's priced the same if not lower than everything else in the neighborhood. Should I blame the market or my realtor?
I live in Esat Mesa Had my house on the market for 7 months, one looker and one phone call. best of luck !!

Old 03-23-2007, 10:15 AM

68 posts, read 224,483 times
Listen to arizonanative. We just bought a home in Jan. after looking for two months, very carefully. We looked at exsisting homes, as well as new homes. The incentives that the new builders are offering are incredible. How can you compete with $50,000 off, or a new pool?? She/He is dead on right about how it shows. We almost bought an exsisting home because of the way it showed. It was a little lower priced than the one we ended up buying, and it was in a nice established area. We wound up deciding to buy a Fulton home on the Q.C./Gilbert border. The house is huge, and they were in the final stages of getting rid of them. We have $65,000 in equity already. If you want YOUR house to stand out, price it below what others in the surrounding area are. You say you have 'some' furniture. How much? Your furniture shows buyers how they could put their furniture. I'm sure arizonanative will tell you houses with furniture sell better than houses without furniture. Just my two cents, hope it helps.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,572 times
Default remodel help

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose168 View Post
Right now I'm trying to get my mother's house fixed up for selling so she can move with me.
We've tried Home Cheapo, Lowe's, handyman services, and a few contractors. None of them seem to be able to make the necessary repairs to our satisfaction. It is an older home that needs a lot of fixing up - new tile, new doors, facia-board replacement, and a few other things. I can't believe how many idiots there are in the carpentry business here who don't seem to know how to do basic repairs! Even the better ones hire day laborers with questionable backgrounds.
If anybody can drop a few names of some good contractors or companies that are efficient, professional, and have a good reputation for door installation, and other repairs I'll go for it.
Thanks.

I do remodeling and would be happy to see what you need done. Iv'e been pretty busy lately but if you could shoot me an email maybe we can work something out. Paul

Old 03-24-2007, 06:46 AM

458 posts, read 2,774,734 times
This thread makes me think that it may be a good time to be a buyer in PHX in a couple of years. I could be wrong, but if houses aren't selling the prices are eventually going to drop. I'm definitly no expert, in fact I don't know much about the Phoenix housing market at all, but I am looking to move to the area in a couple of years and I'm hoping the prices start to come down.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:46 AM
MG1

37 posts, read 113,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micrguy View Post
Just curious to see if anyone else is having a hard time selling their house or if my agent is blowing smoke about the market right now. I have had my house for sale for six months and have not received one offer and have only had 4-5 people look at the house. It's in Phoenix over by Metro Center in a decent neighborhood and it's priced the same if not lower than everything else in the neighborhood. Should I blame the market or my realtor?
Yes, expect to have a VERY hard time selling your house, at least at these prices. Home prices in Phoenix have gone up 74% since 2002, but salaries in the area have only gone up 17%. That's quite a discrepancy, and it shows that the housing market in Phoenix is grossly overvalued, not ruled by fundamentals as it should be, and is spiked by speculators, some of which are now in over their heads.

Nobody can ever convince me that a four bedroom cookie cutter house in the Phoenix area is worth $300,000. No way. Maybe $165,000. That's the most I'd ever consider paying for it.

When rentals are far more cost effective for the average family than a suicide loan home "purchase", then you know you have a housing bubble. Just like much of the rest of the country.

My family is soon to be leaving the entire Phoenix area (forever!) but for the moment we're waiting for June to leave, and in the meantime I'm watching neighborhood homes for sale here in East Mesa. They're all sitting on the market for six months plus, and none of the sellers are bright enough yet to figure out that they have to lower their prices to find a buyer. Three bedroom down the street in East Mesa here being offered at $275,000. Give me a break. I wouldn't give them more than $125,000 for it. Not that I would consider staying in AZ anyway...

Old 04-03-2007, 06:46 PM

647 posts, read 3,340,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinFromUT View Post
Listen to arizonanative. We just bought a home in Jan. after looking for two months, very carefully. We looked at exsisting homes, as well as new homes. The incentives that the new builders are offering are incredible. How can you compete with $50,000 off, or a new pool?? She/He is dead on right about how it shows. We almost bought an exsisting home because of the way it showed. It was a little lower priced than the one we ended up buying, and it was in a nice established area. We wound up deciding to buy a Fulton home on the Q.C./Gilbert border. The house is huge, and they were in the final stages of getting rid of them. We have $65,000 in equity already. If you want YOUR house to stand out, price it below what others in the surrounding area are. You say you have 'some' furniture. How much? Your furniture shows buyers how they could put their furniture. I'm sure arizonanative will tell you houses with furniture sell better than houses without furniture. Just my two cents, hope it helps.
Have you had your house appraised by a bank and been told you have 65K in equity? I'd be very surprised if that's the case, as there's no way you'd be able to turn around and sell it for 65K more then you bought it for 2 months ago. I know the development you're talking about and there is SO much new construction going on, as you know. Your house is only worth what a new buyer will pay for it. So while a builder may have told you that you have 65k in equity, it likely isn't the case.

There's a huge benefit in buying a resale, especially with such a supply now that you can find almost the perfect house for you if you look - landscaping is done and mature, which is SO nice; pool is built, which saves you huge dollars right there. If you buy new and have to put in a pool yourself, you'll never recover all that money on resale. Also, you know for sure what your neighborhood will look like - our last neighborhood, we bought new construction and the area around it never turned out as well as we thought it would. Just my .02 cents, after having sold 3 new-build houses within 2 yrs of buying them over the past 6 yrs.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:53 AM

702 posts, read 3,151,407 times
I live in Green Valley and there are 1,000 houses on the market now. There are approximately 13,000 houses in the community at this time. There are four houses for sale on my block that have been for sale for one year! My house is the oldest on my block at 3 years! The market has definitely adjusted and it is hard to sell. One of the houses here has dropped $60,000 in the asking price and after 6 months has not sold. We live in a new gated community, but that has not helped resale at this point in time.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:12 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,450,139 times
Quote:
Have you had your house appraised by a bank and been told you have 65K in equity? I'd be very surprised if that's the case, as there's no way you'd be able to turn around and sell it for 65K more then you bought it for 2 months ago. I know the development you're talking about and there is SO much new construction going on, as you know. Your house is only worth what a new buyer will pay for it. So while a builder may have told you that you have 65k in equity, it likely isn't the case.
I agree with this response. They're doing this all over the valley. Because owners are expecting to sell their homes under their asking price, it's usually better to buy a resale. I could kick myself for not driving around the neighborhood we were considering before buying our first house. Not only would we have been in sooner, had things like ceiling fans, window treatments, and landscaping taken care of, but we would have paid less for the house.

Here's what I keep seeing: Person buys house for 150k three years ago, during housing boom it's worth 250k, now the builder's selling it for 200k base model (with the 50k "discount"), but the person is willing to sell for 190k because they'll still make 40k on the sale.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:13 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
I agree with this response. They're doing this all over the valley. Because owners are expecting to sell their homes under their asking price, it's usually better to buy a resale. I could kick myself for not driving around the neighborhood we were considering before buying our first house. Not only would we have been in sooner, had things like ceiling fans, window treatments, and landscaping taken care of, but we would have paid less for the house.

Here's what I keep seeing: Person buys house for 150k three years ago, during housing boom it's worth 250k, now the builder's selling it for 200k base model (with the 50k "discount"), but the person is willing to sell for 190k because they'll still make 40k on the sale.

You got it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area