Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:40 PM

88 posts, read 251,850 times

Advertisements

I'm here because my wife was accepted to two medical schools. One in Glendale, and one in Pomona, CA.

I figured Pomona would suck and probably cost more, so here we are. Not too fond of it, but it has its moments...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,086 times
Was born here, and have lived here all my life

Old 08-05-2009, 02:39 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moniqueb View Post
I'm moved back here from San Diego in May. I lived here 2 yrs ago and i hated it and couldn't wait to move back to San diego. But I moved back because Phoenix is a good come up place because of the cost of living and their is alot of jobs here. These people that are from AZ are very stupid, I never met people like them before, I will only be here for 2 years I couldn't live here the rest of my life and have my kids grow up here and take the risk of them being like these people here, I will be here until I get my degree.
I'm sorry, but if this is a good example of your writing skills, you'll probably stay in Phoenix after you graduate.

I moved here in 1985 with my (now) ex to go "someplace warmer". I've moved away and back again three times. This is the place I understand the best, so it is my home. I'm comfortable. Occasionally, I will look for greener grass, but when I find it, it's covered with snow. Um, no thanks.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:56 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times
I was born here and most of my family is from Arizona. After high school and graduating from USC, I received a commission in the military and my parent's retired and started second careers in Phoenix after dad's retirement from the Army. After looking for a career out of the military I settled on three final interviews; one in Phoenix, Seattle, and Chicago. Chicago was a no-go because I don't like Chicago all that much and the pay wasn't competitive with Seattle's nor Phoenix' offers. The deal breaker was having to learn Japanese for the Seattle position or knowing German for the Phoenix spot. It was an easy decision and I would have chosen Phoenix in the end either way and knowing German was a plus as well. Absolutely LOVE it here!

It is funny how a couple of posters say that native Arizonans are stupid because most of the dumb people I've met here are from somewhere else; California for example. Had to let 3 people go at work because their reading and writing skills were atrocious and they all lied and said they knew German! (They all three were from Cali) They were like, so like, totally fired. And yes, that's how those Cali people talked. It was like, so like a competition to like say like as much as like possible. Having to listen to them speak was torturous. Besides almost all natives I know are college grads; my parent's graduated from ASU and UofA so I grew up in a house divided, LOL! Then I went to USC! Bitter rivalries all around! I received an MBA with a sustainability emphasis at ASU (Germans are HUGE on such concepts so it has served me well especially since ASU is the only school with a College of Sustainability in the world and one of only 15 "green" schools in the nation alongside Yale, Harvard, and Univ. of Washington).

I now handle some of the second and final interviews for potential employees and I ask them questions in German that can't be answered with a simple sentence or memorized sayings.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 08-05-2009 at 04:43 PM..

Old 08-05-2009, 04:33 PM

568 posts, read 1,205,680 times
I was born and grew up in South Florida...Ft. Lauderdale to be precise. But after 30 years of living there, I had the feeling of being stuck in a rut. A professional one and a personal one. When my company offered my dream position in Phoenix with all moving expenses paid, I jumped at the chance. This is weird because I didn't know anyone here in Phoenix, and I have always been very close to my family. Furthermore, I'm a 'nester' who doesn't like to move. And yet, it seemed like something was pulling me emphatically in that direction. So, I just went forward and I've never regretted it since. Got my mom and grams to move out here just 2 years later, too(albeit in the more manageable altitude of Cottonwood).

I can say, though, that one of the most alluring aspects of living in Phoenix was the prospect of being able to visit all of the great Western US National Parks. Although SoFla is beautiful in its own way, there's no such thing as 'wide open spaces' and getting away from it all. No mountains. One doesn't go 'hiking' in SoFla...completely flat, except for the landfills. lol. My whole family, in spite of being very suburban, has this strong appreciation for nature; my mom is the type who still calls me first thing in the morning to let me know if they get snow in Cottonwood. Like a little kid. And I'm fascinated by all the types of flora and fauna that have evolved to survive the heat. Hiking in Sedona, or even in South Mountain Park, etc. is just wonderful...well, at least when you don't see too much smog in the air! But...hiking right here in the city is something you can't do in most places.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:39 PM

559 posts, read 1,463,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAngelBacerott View Post
Mopved out here in 2005 for school and now that I accomplished NOTHING since then I'm moving the HELL out of this dry, tastless, lacking culture of a city in the desert with its IGNORANT ass people and backstabbing crowds. The city is headed to corruption and lately not even the once safe Scottsdale is safed anymore. Phoenix is getting dangerous and the native Phoenicians well the ones who live in the city SUCK!!! The gay scene is dead and EVERY last one of them with it.

Bottom line this city is a gigantic toliet...
Who has the time and will power to dig up a months old thread to post how much they hate a city?

Old 08-05-2009, 04:57 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handiquack View Post
I'm in the exact same situation now except I haven't made it to Phoenix yet.

I feel like I'm stuck in Sac.
The only advice i can give you is finish school then move. You will have a much better time out here if you have something to work with.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:14 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,441 times
Quote:
Mopved out here in 2005 for school and now that I accomplished NOTHING since then I'm moving the HELL out of this dry, tastless, lacking culture of a city in the desert with its IGNORANT ass people and backstabbing crowds. The city is headed to corruption and lately not even the once safe Scottsdale is safed anymore. Phoenix is getting dangerous and the native Phoenicians well the ones who live in the city SUCK!!! The gay scene is dead and EVERY last one of them with it.

Bottom line this city is a gigantic toliet...
While I agree with most of your claims, you wont find happiness where you live. Happiness comes from you dwells within you. B ut good luck to you, nonethelss.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:32 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,452 times
Quote:
The gay scene is dead and EVERY last one of them with it.
I love Phoenix but I wonder why I continue to live here when the gay scene is as you describe. There is no gay community here in my opinion. After 4 years, I have no gay friends. I see the same gay people but they are not friendly and it's impossible to crack open their little cliques. It's sad that gay people have to live in cities because if there was a small town in the mountains some place where I could be myself and not need to be packing heat, I'd be there in a flash. Other than this glaring hole in my life, life in Phoenix is quite desirable for me.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:51 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I love Phoenix but I wonder why I continue to live here when the gay scene is as you describe. There is no gay community here in my opinion.
Why does there have to be a community of something? Phoenix is not like that, it is more divided into class than race. There are more gays here than Sacramento. In Sacramento all the gays hide in the closet and when they come out their are flaming beyond being annoying. In Phoenix some you can tell by the stereotypical, but some you cannot unless they tell you. There are bars, clubs, and restaurants based on gay, asian, southern, euro, ect. How much more is there needed beyond food and bars? Why does there have to be a self segregated area full of this type or that type? People in prison do that because of their lack of proper education, why do people that are free want to do that? I never understood the mentality.

For the people that do not understand the diversity that Arizona has over California need to open their eyes. A good example is the large recognition Arizona has of it's Native Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area