U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-07-2009, 09:29 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,574,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Two words - mental illness.
Dang, movin'on, you were gone for so long I thought you actually moved on.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 11:55 AM

461 posts, read 554,242 times
Ritchie, thanks for clarifying your point of view. But as AZBear implies above, I don't think the culture of gays in SanFran is necessarily emblematic of gays in general, at least many of us don't perceive ourselves as being the way you describe. In fact, since I've joined this forum a while ago, this is the first time I can recall ever directly addressing anything related to gays. I didn't even mention it in my original response to this topic of why I came to Phoenix. And I only did it this time because it was in the context of trying to correct what I thought might give a overly pessimistic impression of Phoenix. And I thought mentioning that I was gay would lend more credibility to my assertions in the post. Please forgive me, but it was really not my intent to wave a huge rainbow flag in your face!

Regarding SanFran, I believe there may be some merit to what you are saying about some people being a bit over the top and politically militant. But I think that's probably more a sociological phenomenon than something innately particular to all gays. I'm guessing that many gays who feel the most repressed in their initial hometown, or perhaps rejected by their parents, end up seeing SanFran as a sort of mecca, therefore end up moving there to escape. And not surprisingly, with so much freedom they end up going a bit overboard. Not too different from frat guys and sorority gals who go wild on their first year of college, away from the controlling influence of mom and dad.

And I must say that gays have not cornered the market on puerile or sexually explicit public behavior. Heck, I work with a bunch of straight, conservative, church-going older ladies who can make me blush easily by some of the things they say and do in public. Albeit in good humor and fun. But I don't get offended...life's too short, and there are bigger fish to fry. Like people who litterbug or graffiti...now that's what drives me nuts!

Old 08-07-2009, 03:29 PM

3,995 posts, read 6,144,945 times
Silva, same here. Being gay doesn't "come out" until it is brought up and relevant to the topic and conversation. However, to the guy who can't find the gays...really? Where are you from? Have you heard of Melrose, Corondao, Roosevelt, Uptown? Melrose is the undeniably largest and most well known gayborhood in Phoenix. Gays aren't cliqueish either and hard to understand why they would be. PM me and I'll fill you in on the going-ons if you'd like.

As for why a person chooses to move to Phoenix, diversity and yes, gay culture is often a huge factor as it shows the city's diversity and is often a barometer of the situation. Relax Ritchie, like Silva recommended. Telling people I am gay is not like telling you how I live my sex life at home, what type of men I like, etc but is a description of a part of my life; much like being hispanic, in the military, from a good family, etc is a part of my life and has shaped it. There is nothing vulgar or "flashy" or "in-your-face" about someone telling you they are gay.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:29 PM

3,753 posts, read 4,929,542 times
I moved to Arizona to get out of Utah! It was, by far, the best decision I EVER made.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:50 PM

4 posts, read 3,243 times
I'm moving there to be close to my grandkids. I live in Western Washington and my wife misses them. I really would like to move back to Hawaii (Where i was born), but to expensive and wife says, nope....lol

Old 08-08-2009, 10:41 AM

624 posts, read 664,268 times
My wife and I are escaping California. Metro Phoenix offers everything except the beach. It offers less traffic, less crime, more community feel, more affordability, better choices when homebuying, and more open space. I have found the many people in the Phoenix metro area to be more enthusiastic, have more manners, more family oriented, less materialistic, more faith based, and believers in absolute truth versus tolerance that sin is acceptable. I grew up in Orange County and loved it until it got to be very crowded and the state decided to "take care" of people through various social service programs. I believe that is why California is broke today and is raising fees and taxes for it's tax paying residents.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:56 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,923,108 times
North central Phoenix (85014). Love it would not live anywhere else!

Old 08-09-2009, 01:56 AM

430 posts, read 935,803 times
Default lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
I moved to Phoenix to get a $400,000 mortgage at earning $10 an hour.
that was funny

Old 08-09-2009, 07:29 AM

21,157 posts, read 26,012,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
There are some 'trippy' (dating myself here with that adjective) enclaves around 12th St/Indian School.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:13 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,320,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
I don't think that's really considered north-central, isn't the 85014 area all south near Camelback Rd?

North-Central is more the area from northern to thunderbird area, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area