Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 12:46 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times

Advertisements

The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office is investigating a possible death threat against Sheriff Joe Arpaio that authorities said was written on a demonstrator's sign.

At about 9:30 a.m. Saturday,Veterans Affairs police spotted an unidentified man wearing a black ski mask, a black law enforcement-style raid T-shirt and rubber surgical gloves preparing to march Saturday in a protest against Arpaio and his immigration enforcement, said Deputy Doug Matteson, a sheriff's spokesman.

The man was carrying a loaded Glock semi-automatic pistol handcuffs, and a sign with the statement: "Death to Arpaio equals freedom for America," Matteson said

Alleged death threat against Sheriff Joe investigated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 01:04 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
wearing a black ski mask, a black law enforcement-style raid T-shirt and rubber surgical gloves preparing to march Saturday
Now THERE's Darwin at work! "Hmmmm, let me see. What shall I wear to the protest? Oh, I KNOW. It's 85 degrees out. I need that darned ski mask to keep my face warm. Oh, and where are those surgical gloves. They make a nice statement for the parade..." Did they give his name? Was it Wiley Coyote?

Old 03-02-2009, 07:40 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Now THERE's Darwin at work! "Hmmmm, let me see. What shall I wear to the protest? Oh, I KNOW. It's 85 degrees out. I need that darned ski mask to keep my face warm. Oh, and where are those surgical gloves. They make a nice statement for the parade..." Did they give his name? Was it Wiley Coyote?
He may be a nut, but he has the constitutional right to dress how he likes and put whatever he wants on his tee. He also has the right to carry a fully loaded glock in this state. His tee slogan is not a threat. Joe gets his minute of victimization and another opportunity to mug for the cameras, but otherwise it's case dismissed provided he said nothing dumb to the sheriff's storm troopers. Apparently he didn't because he was cited (for who knows what) and released.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:38 AM

60 posts, read 157,745 times
Sounds like law enforcement could use more men like Sheriff Arpaio. Of course all the wimpy bleeding heart gutless liberals are wailing in anguish over the thought of all the illegal criminals being arrested.The sheriff just made my day.

Hopefully that type of law enforcement will spread throughout the country, and from what I am hearing, it will.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:38 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REMINGTIN7 View Post
Sounds like law enforcement could use more men like Sheriff Arpaio. Of course all the wimpy bleeding heart gutless liberals are wailing in anguish over the thought of all the illegal criminals being arrested.The sheriff just made my day.

Hopefully that type of law enforcement will spread throughout the country, and from what I am hearing, it will.
I love it when people from out of state praise Arpaio. You aren't the ones paying the bills for the jail lawsuits he's been found liable in or forced to settle for many millions to avoid paying even larger jury verdicts.

As Ponderosa said in another thread, a sheriff can be tough on crime without resorting to the grandstanding (and without subjecting his jurisdiction to huge financial losses). But, our Sheriff will never learn that. He likes the cameras too much, and doesn't really care about the consequences of his actions.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:50 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
He may be a nut, but he has the constitutional right to dress how he likes and put whatever he wants on his tee. He also has the right to carry a fully loaded glock in this state. His tee slogan is not a threat. Joe gets his minute of victimization and another opportunity to mug for the cameras, but otherwise it's case dismissed provided he said nothing dumb to the sheriff's storm troopers. Apparently he didn't because he was cited (for who knows what) and released.
Ponderosa - not disagreeing with you. I carry. But I'm just sayin' it sounds like they both wanted their 15 minutes of fame and they got it. We all create our own dramas.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Ponderosa - not disagreeing with you. I carry. But I'm just sayin' it sounds like they both wanted their 15 minutes of fame and they got it. We all create our own dramas.
Part of me wants to believe it was Zorro.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:16 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I love it when people from out of state praise Arpaio. You aren't the ones paying the bills for the jail lawsuits he's been found liable in or forced to settle for many millions to avoid paying even larger jury verdicts.

As Ponderosa said in another thread, a sheriff can be tough on crime without resorting to the grandstanding (and without subjecting his jurisdiction to huge financial losses). But, our Sheriff will never learn that. He likes the cameras too much, and doesn't really care about the consequences of his actions.
Oh get over it already....people don't like him because he's not a typical sheriff. He actually DOES what he talks about doing instead of sitting around delegating things that typically never end up getting done......he's awesome....GO JOE!!!!!

Old 03-02-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Oh get over it already....people don't like him because he's not a typical sheriff. He actually DOES what he talks about doing instead of sitting around delegating things that typically never end up getting done......he's awesome....GO JOE!!!!!
I think the main problem is he TALKS about what he DOES not that he DOES what he TALKS about.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:28 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Well, I don't know what you think a "typical sheriff" is, but what any sheriff should be is one that does his job, without the drama, without the airtime, without the litigation.

It would be great if only the ones who think he's great have to pay his legal expenses/verdicts/settlements. Unfortunately, we all do. There's a lot more to what a sheriff needs to be doing than grandstanding about immigration and spending time with his own reality TV show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area