U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 11:42 AM

2,270 posts, read 3,669,185 times

Advertisements

There is a lot of politics in play here and not rational discussion. If you want Phoenix to go the way of Los Angeles and numerous other California cities, then get rid of the sheriff and see what happens with a new sheriff the media likes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 12:01 PM

28 posts, read 42,311 times
Good for you Sheena and Greatday; nice to know that there are a few Patriots still offering their opinions. I wish that you were better received, you need to learn to be more negative..........seek change........

Old 06-02-2009, 12:22 PM

9,182 posts, read 10,050,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
There is a lot of politics in play here and not rational discussion. If you want Phoenix to go the way of Los Angeles and numerous other California cities, then get rid of the sheriff and see what happens with a new sheriff the media likes.
It's not about politics. It's about wanting a guy who actually does the job. Not all liberals abhor the Sheriff's tactics. I don't have a problem with a tough sheriff. I have a problem with a person who talks tough and does little. That's my beef with Joe; it's not his image but his inactivity. I can ignore the pink underwear, the tasteless comments and the media circus if he actually did something to make our county safer. Unlike most of the public, I actually did my own research by examining statistics, speaking with police officers in the county and reading articles focusing the Sheriff's arrests. What I learned is that his efforts are not focused on the threats that pose harm to us namely Mexican organized crime. In short, I have yet to see data from a reputable and objective third party source demonstrating the Sherrif has been effective with regard to organized crime in Maricopa. I know the Sheriff has a lot of haters but I'm not one of them. I was an ardent supporter that decided to stop drinking the Kool Aid like all of you and do my own research.

Seriously, I would vote for one of the Patriot "soliders" or whatever they call themselves to be Sheriff over Joe because at least I know that "Patriot" would actually do his job instead of be a media w **** that Joe is. And I'm not being facetious. I have no problem voting for a tough Sheriff who disagrees with me politically as long as he does his job. I would vote for one of those good ole boys at the border because unlike Joe, that good ole boy will not only go after the guys working at Filbertos but the Mexican organized crime too. Unlike Joe, those guys are passionate and are not in it for the celebrity, they will enforce the law on everyone and not just fast food workers for easy headlines.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 06-02-2009 at 12:41 PM..

Old 06-02-2009, 08:23 PM

38 posts, read 47,342 times
What are the criteria that would demonstrate one has been effective with regard to organize crime in Maricopa?

Old 06-02-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipnjaz View Post
What are the criteria that would demonstrate one has been effective with regard to organize crime in Maricopa?
Incidence of kidnappings in Maricopa being significantly reduced.

Stories in the Arizona Republic and all 4 major local news stations with stories showing arrests of cartel members that were arrested and apprehended specifically by the MCSO

Old 06-02-2009, 10:04 PM
YAZ

6,186 posts, read 6,790,184 times
Ya know, if Sheriff Arpaio had enough backup he could help reduce the kidnapping rate.

Ya wanna eliminate drophouses?

Support Sheriff Joe!

Peace.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:05 PM
YAZ

6,186 posts, read 6,790,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post

Exactly.

Well stated.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Ya know, if Sheriff Arpaio had enough backup he could help reduce the kidnapping rate.

Ya wanna eliminate drophouses?

Support Sheriff Joe!

Peace.

What makes you think he doesn't have enough backup? He has enough resources at his disposal. The Sheriff knows that going after the Mexican cartel requires a serious effort and involves risk. It's much easier for him to do raids rounding up laborers than serious criminals.

I would vote for a Sheriff Joe supporter more than I would vote for Sheriff Joe because I believe his supporters are genuine and passionate about fighting crime but are mislead by Joe. Seriously, why don't one of you guys run for Sheriff. I will vote for you over Sheriff Joe because I know you will actually do the job and go after the cartels unlike the guy you support.

Like I said, I have no problem voting for a politically conservative and aggressive sheriff but I want to vote a legitimate one and not a charlatan whose main goal is to promote himself and seek attention. Dan Saban was a bad option, fine, but how come there isn't one conservative that runs on the platform of "all action and no drama" or something like that. Let's get a younger and more aggressive Sheriff who is about business and doesn't care about the drama that Joe loves.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:28 PM

38 posts, read 47,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Incidence of kidnappings in Maricopa being significantly reduced.

Stories in the Arizona Republic and all 4 major local news stations with stories showing arrests of cartel members that were arrested and apprehended specifically by the MCSO
Sounds reasonable, I presume the County arrest/crime rate reports will help us over time evaluate the Sheriff Department's performance.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:24 AM

638 posts, read 877,666 times
As an outsider, he seems like an all hat, no cattle kind of guy to me. The accusations of corruption and politically motivated policing are not unique to him or to Phoenix, that happens everywhere (we just had our own guy go down in flames here in Portland after over a decade's worth of accusations). The liberals and the media who have targeted him are fighting the wrong battles and will inevitably lose until they fight him on his own terms. Go after him on his record, not for doing (or pretending to do) the things which law abiding, taxpaying US citizens/voters love and appreciate.

I'm more of a Giuliani fan myself - have no tolerance for the little things or the big things, and watch the crime rate go down as a result (in theory anyway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area