U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 08:13 PM

716 posts, read 1,075,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deraffe View Post
i grew up in the arcadia "date palm" area, 42nd st. and Patricia Jane Dr. Let me tell you a little more about it. it was part of a haciendia (sp) plantation. the main house was on Hazelwood amd 42nd st on the southeast corner, right north of what was the ball field for Kachina Elementary School.
To the east of that were the workers and servants quarters on 44th St just north of Campbell, they back up to the canal and were converted into condos long ago.
To the north of that just east of 40th street right on the corner of Elm St was the guest house. you can not see the house from the road because there is a long gated driveway. you can also see into the grounds from the canal bank just to the north of it. At one time the artist who did the Phx birds for the airport and Town and Country lived there.
Very cool info, thanks! I always wondered about that area!

Old 12-01-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
since you were doing thte thing on forgotten cemetaries, what is the name of the cemetary on McDonald just west of scottsdale road. it is on the north side of the road accross from the grade school.
That's Camelback Cemetery, 6800 E. McDonald, Paradise Valley. It was established back in 1916. The land is now worth about $1 million dollars an acre to developers, but there's probably no way to get approval to find all the families and get them to agree to move the graves, so it will probably be there forever. There are some war heroes, famous cowboys, and local developer and philanthropist Robert Herberger buried there. Here's a good article on the cemetery:

History buried at tiny cemetery

Old 12-01-2009, 11:04 PM

83 posts, read 135,774 times
THANKS! i always wondered about it.
if you have any questions about the area feel free to ask.
i grew up at 40st and flower, was friends with Doug Knutson's (the DPS officer who was killed in the gore lane about 8 years ago) son and was there when he was killed by a local prominate lawyers son while strung out on coke behind the wheel, the local band THE TUBES used to stay in the house accross the street (40th) from our house, i remember them having parties and setting the olianders on fire all the time as a small kid. we moved to the "date palm" arcadia house when i was starting 5th grade, and i have lots of knowledge of the area. i used to work at the VW shop accross the street from the TEE PEE mexican food restaraunt, i have know the Zippy and his family for a while! went to Arcadia and Gerard HS.

i am a 3 gen AZ resident, infact my grandmother Margarette was a member of one of the first graduating classes from Tempe teachers collage, and used to teach at the school for wayward girls on missouri and 7th ave (i think?) that they converted to an Albertson's shopping center, when i told her about finding an abandoned pool inside of this big "church" building there, she told me that she used to teach there and about how she used to have to wear this huge key ring around her neck because if they did not guard the keys, the girls would steal them and escape.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:07 AM

54 posts, read 67,711 times
interesting read, guys. Thanks for posting all!

Old 12-02-2009, 09:58 AM

1,046 posts, read 2,014,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roran View Post
Well I know this wouldnt qualify as single spots that may be weird but I have gotten into whats called Geo Caching. It requires a (portable) GPS unit and some coordinates. There are millions upon millions of caches around the world. Some of the spots are extremely weird. Give it a try you just might enjoy being a kid again.
Great idea. This sounds like something fun my daughter and I can do together. I was surprised to find thousands right here in the Valley.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:46 AM

54 posts, read 67,711 times
what about the Mystery Castle? is that worth checking out?

Old 12-02-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
THANKS! i always wondered about it.
if you have any questions about the area feel free to ask.
i grew up at 40st and flower, was friends with Doug Knutson's (the DPS officer who was killed in the gore lane about 8 years ago) son and was there when he was killed by a local prominate lawyers son while strung out on coke behind the wheel, the local band THE TUBES used to stay in the house accross the street (40th) from our house, i remember them having parties and setting the olianders on fire all the time as a small kid. we moved to the "date palm" arcadia house when i was starting 5th grade, and i have lots of knowledge of the area. i used to work at the VW shop accross the street from the TEE PEE mexican food restaraunt, i have know the Zippy and his family for a while! went to Arcadia and Gerard HS.

i am a 3 gen AZ resident, infact my grandmother Margarette was a member of one of the first graduating classes from Tempe teachers collage, and used to teach at the school for wayward girls on missouri and 7th ave (i think?) that they converted to an Albertson's shopping center, when i told her about finding an abandoned pool inside of this big "church" building there, she told me that she used to teach there and about how she used to have to wear this huge key ring around her neck because if they did not guard the keys, the girls would steal them and escape.
Cool! My sister went to Gerard (graduated ~1966). I went to East High and so probably hung out at a lot of the same spots you did - Thomas Mall, Tower Plaza, etc. I used to eat at the Tee Pee a lot. And I was always a big Tubes fan!

Old 12-02-2009, 08:30 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,240,232 times
I have a friend who is really into the geo-caching, I went with him one day and it was pretty fun trying to find them, some are located in weird spots, we found fake bolts, and ones hidden behind signs/rocks/plants.

Definetely a good way to see interesting parts of the city you may have otherwise avoided.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:27 AM

83 posts, read 135,774 times
here is a funny fact.
The now Chase bank on the SE corner of Camelback and 44th st was fought against tooth and nail by the neighborhood when it was proposed

dbostrom's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bostworld/show/with/562210160/ - broken link)

Yahoo! Image Search Results for the valley national bank 44th street camelback

in the pics you can see how there is random-ish stones on the exterior of the building. well in the drawings of the building the designers had representations of what was to be a complete stone facade, but only drew clusters of stones. well they started to build it to spec with a complete stone facade, the nieghbors called foul and mad ethem follow the drawings to a T. that is why there is random clusters of stone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area