U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,128 times
[url=http://papagostables.com/]Papago Riding Stables - Home[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 08:44 PM

13,516 posts, read 15,595,644 times
It looks to me like they only offer guided rides. That may not be what you want, but most of the riding stables have probably gone that route. I'd go take lessons somewhere if I had an itch to ride, before I would go there.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 608 times
Sorry about the bump - actually I'm searching for the same sort of information (rides anywhere in Arizona), and this thread came up in Google. Did you find what you were looking for, and would you be able to recommend anywhere please? Thanks!

Old 04-04-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantan View Post
Sorry about the bump - actually I'm searching for the same sort of information (rides anywhere in Arizona), and this thread came up in Google. Did you find what you were looking for, and would you be able to recommend anywhere please? Thanks!
Are you looking for Phoenix area only, or anywhere in AZ?

Old 04-05-2011, 04:43 AM

3,637 posts, read 2,810,760 times
We rode in Wickenburg. I'll try to find the guides card. The horses were well trained and we could go off the path. The area has that "old west feel". Highly recommended!

Old 04-05-2011, 09:47 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,849,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamik08 View Post
I just moved to this area about a year ago. After being here for awhile I would really like to get back into the routine of riding again. Does anyone know where I can go or where I can find a horse to ride? I had to leave mine with my parents when I moved.
Papago Stables - they are located on the west side of Scottsdale road just south of the 202.
The horses availablefor renting are there from the end of September through the end of April.
The family that runs the business takes their horses to Jackson Hole, WY for the summer.

They have regularly scheduled 1 hour rides.
Growing up - my family had Quarter horses - I have been going to Papago Stables for years - its great.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:50 AM

I suspect that a guided ride may not be what you are looking for. Call up some of the training establishments and take a lesson or two. After they get to know you and what you can do, you might just be able to go out and find a horse to help exercise, either for the owner or by getting to know some of the boarders.

Last edited by observer53; 04-06-2011 at 05:59 AM..

Old 04-05-2011, 11:13 AM

862 posts, read 1,225,317 times
I have been to Mac Donald's Ranch in N Scottsdale several times and I love it, its beautiful. we did guided trail rides though, not sure if they let you go it alone.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:45 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,849,730 times
Typically due to insurance liability issues - getting to go riding alone on a horse one does not actually own at a stable/riding facilty is rare.
Things aren't as casual as they used to be.
One can always try but most stables will not even go there.
I am required to sign a waiver whenever I go riding.
Typically the folks that exervicse animals at stables on behalf of owners have some sort of employee status with the facility.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Typically due to insurance liability issues - getting to go riding alone on a horse one does not actually own at a stable/riding facilty is rare.
Things aren't as casual as they used to be.
One can always try but most stables will not even go there.
I am required to sign a waiver whenever I go riding.
Typically the folks that exervicse animals at stables on behalf of owners have some sort of employee status with the facility.
I'm not saying she would not have to sign a waiver, anywhere. I had to do that whether I was riding alone (which the riding stables all used to allow) or with a guide.

I suggested lessons first, because if you are going to have to pay, might as well get something out of it besides the ride. Then, you get to meet people at the stable. I'm involved in the horse business in a "side" sort of way. In this economy, and with people so busy, there are all sorts of opportunities to ride someone else's horse, under conditions that the owner and the rider can work out (and the owner of the horse may not be the owner of the facility, so it's not an "employee", or even independent contractor, situation).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area