Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 03:36 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,789,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Well, for one, I would never live in Chandler.

But, I think it would be nice to see a little diversity in building types around Phoenix. Diversity is a good thing and keeps things interesting. Drive through some of the older neighborhoods in the area and you will see different style homes. Some are California bungalow style. Some are brightly colored. Some even lack an attached garage! Change and variety is good....even for the bland suburban lifestyle of Chandler.

And BTW, I COMPLETELY agree with you on the fact that density doesn't necessarily mean high rises. Honestly, I would rather have 4-story brownstones with commercial zoning at the end of the block any day. Reminds me of Washington and North End in Boston.

I'm sick of the current stucco style that's been around for 25+ years. I wouldn't mind seeing a few Cape Cods and Victorians mixed in. What's wrong with wanting a front porch? It might even help neighbors to interact more. Even the previous block ranch style homes of the 50's, 60's and 70's would be a refreshing change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 04:11 PM

121 posts, read 546,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post

I'm sick of the current stucco style that's been around for 25+ years. I wouldn't mind seeing a few Cape Cods and Victorians mixed in. What's wrong with wanting a front porch? It might even help neighbors to interact more. Even the previous block ranch style homes of the 50's, 60's and 70's would be a refreshing change.
Oh I completely agree with you about porches and the older ranch homes. After having looked at a few homes, I actually prefer the older ranch homes made of block. They have bigger yards, also. The realtor I went around with showed me some ranch homes from the 60s and 70s and she kept talking them down claiming they have older windows and this and that. Frankly, I like the termite-proof block homes. I saw some newer developments and while the stucco look isn't awful IMO, I can see where it would get old.

Are there any new communities or builders that feature homes like the older ranch homes? Or even just on larger lots?

Old 04-03-2007, 09:00 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post

Id agree. Even though I love psuedo-adobe homes, too much of them is overkill and leads to blandness. There are a few lovely older homes in Biltmore that I saw that were cool, but overall PHX's stucco is overwhelming. I think the city and new developments should indeed throw in some different style homes, break things up a bit, keep it interesting...

One of my favorite towns in Illinois is Galena. It offers soooo much architecture that every turn on every street just drops the jaw at all the different styles (Georgians, Unions, Italianates, Greek revivals).

Old 04-04-2007, 09:06 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,614 times
Steve-O

But where would I park my two huge SUV's? I need a garage at least as big as that house and it better be right next to my home. God forbid I have to walk.

Also, what are those bright things along the street? That would interrupt my wonderful view of the brown, treeless mountains. And those green things sticking around everywhere. Kinda look like big cactus with huge spines. Dangerous looking.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:22 PM

341 posts, read 1,487,031 times
Please people. Step back a century into the Ohio Valley & a few other states that are triple stacked with trailors, 120 year old buildings falling down and their idea of progress is to finally asphalt (aka chip and seal) main street or trade their truck (burning oil & sporting a rebel flag rear window screen) for a new fangled SUV they quickly slap a camoflauge paint job on. Guh!

Old 04-07-2007, 01:16 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,789,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post

Also, what are those bright things along the street? That would interrupt my wonderful view of the brown, treeless mountains. And those green things sticking around everywhere. Kinda look like big cactus with huge spines. Dangerous looking.
IKnowIknow!!! The bright things are called street lights. I remember them from my childhood. Scottsdale banned them because, actually I don't remember why. I think it was because the city council thought it would make it hard for burglars to find the houses or something like that.

A couple of those trees look like Palo Verdes. Steve-o, did you happen to take some seedlings back east with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_Blond View Post
Please people. Step back a century into the Ohio Valley & a few other states that are triple stacked with trailors, 120 year old buildings falling down and their idea of progress is to finally asphalt (aka chip and seal) main street or trade their truck (burning oil & sporting a rebel flag rear window screen) for a new fangled SUV they quickly slap a camoflauge paint job on. Guh!
Confederate flags in the middle of the United States of Northern Aggression??? General Grant must be turning over in his grave!

Old 04-07-2007, 10:41 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_Blond View Post
Funny, most towns outside of PHX and Tucson are exactly what you describe. Ive seen DIRT homes in NM and AZ (I forget the AZ town's name). Id take a trailer anyday. In fact, the general southwest is probably amongst the most poor in the nation, particularly (and sadly) on the reservations. Just because PHX has a decent population of wealthy folks, doesnt mean that its wealthy. In my eyes, NO big city is wealthy, as most of large cities is comprised of lower class folks. If you think the Ohio valley is bad, spend some time in less-known areas of AZ, NM, UT, etc. Youll be in for a BIG surprise.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:11 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Funny, most towns outside of PHX and Tucson are exactly what you describe. Ive seen DIRT homes in NM and AZ (I forget the AZ town's name). Id take a trailer anyday. In fact, the general southwest is probably amongst the most poor in the nation, particularly (and sadly) on the reservations. Just because PHX has a decent population of wealthy folks, doesnt mean that its wealthy. In my eyes, NO big city is wealthy, as most of large cities is comprised of lower class folks. If you think the Ohio valley is bad, spend some time in less-known areas of AZ, NM, UT, etc. Youll be in for a BIG surprise.
Hell, there are parts of the Valley that look like Mexico. Dirt roads, dogs running all over the place, junks everywhere...

Old 04-10-2007, 08:20 AM

47 posts, read 198,895 times
I've been a member of this site for about 24 hours, and I've stumbled across this thread. I haven't read all the posts, just the first few and find them quite amusing. I've posted comments on another thread earlier today which have similar undertones to this one. I've lived my entire life in the North West of England (over 40 years). If you want to see overcrowding, extremely busy roads, row upon row of the same kind of house, high air polution, bad driving, ignorant people etc. then come here for a few weeks. England is quaint, only to those who haven't been or experienced the real lifestyle here, and please don't say "I've been to London" because that's as far from real England as you can get. Oh, and one of the posts mentioned high gas (Petrol?) prices. We're currently paying the equivalent of $8 a gallon! $3 a gallon for gas, how on earth do you manage? I've been to Phoenix (well, Glendale) 7 or 8 times and I'm planning on moving there as soon as I sell up here. I can't wait to experience those awful things mentioned. Finally, I love England and being English, it's the people and politics with which I'm not overly enamoured. Not that that's relevant to this thread, I just wanted you to know I'm not a UK basher who's just in favour of AZ. Sorry about the spelling, I can't bring myself to not spell things correctly even on an American based site.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:11 PM

4 posts, read 10,386 times
[quote=Andre5140;497790]

Light rail is not just a cliché....it really does hold the key to a vibrant downtown. Ask the folks of Bethesda, Maryland or the residents of Downtown DC Northeast. It takes time but progress is sure.
[quote]

Maybe I misunderstood your meaning here, so although Bethesda, Maryland does have a vibrant downtown, it's not because of light rail. As far as rail goes, there's only the DC Metro subway station in the heart of downtown Bethesda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area