Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 03:08 PM

8 posts, read 30,075 times

Advertisements

Alright, all you stay-at-home moms with with elementary school-aged kids - What are your plans for Spring Break?

Are you heading out of town or staying put for the week?

If its the latter - what in the world does one do with kids in Phoenix, besides the mall or zoo? We don't hike and it is too cool for the pool. Help me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 06:14 PM

27 posts, read 157,329 times
Well when I was a kid we used to go ice skating and to skateland. Also movies.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:22 PM

27 posts, read 157,329 times
Well when I was a kid we used to go ice skating and to skateland. Also movies.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:12 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,451,406 times
I'm a dad, not a mom, but I can offer some ideas:

First, why no hiking? Abundant hiking trails are one of Phoenix's best assets, and it would be a shame to miss out. Hidden Valley at South Mountain is a great place to hike with kids because of the interesting rock formations.

Second, some other ideas:

-- Children's Museum of Phoenix - not a traditional museum, more an interactive play space
-- Arizona Museum for Youth
-- Hall of Flame -- a museum full of fire trucks and firefighting history
-- Renting a boat at Tempe Town Lake
-- Riding the small trains at Encanto Park or McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park
-- Riding the real trains on METRO light rail
-- Spring Training ball games
-- Various weekend festivals: St. Patrick's Day Parade, Chandler Ostrich Festival, Arizona Aloha Festival, etc.

There's so much going on at this time of year that when it comes to planning family activities, the problem is usually too many choices rather than too few.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:37 AM

107 posts, read 337,685 times
To cool for the pool? It is in the 80's and might get up into the 90's. How hot does it have to be?

Old 03-14-2009, 07:57 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,451,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natman View Post
To cool for the pool? It is in the 80's and might get up into the 90's. How hot does it have to be?
Many Phoenicians, including me, don't step into their pools until around Memorial Day. It's not so much the air temperature that matters, but the water temperature. Until the water temperature hits 90, I find it too cold, and unless the pool is heated, that temperature won't be attained for a while because of the night temperature drop. You know you've become a Phoenician when you like your pool to feel almost like a warm bath.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:01 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natman View Post
My water is 63. The kids might go in at that temp. I sure as heck won't

Old 03-15-2009, 05:38 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,057,618 times
Don't want to hike? Try the museums....the Science Museum in Phoenix will keep kids of all ages occupied for hours, at a fairly reasonable price. Also, bowling....I bet there's kids nowadays that have only bowled on the Wii...let them try the real thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area