Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:50 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It's really not ironic at all. Glendale never "swiped" the stadium deal from Tempe and Mesa. The latter cities didn't want the stadium. There were plans to build the stadium in Tempe but after the FAA controversy, Tempe pulled out. Mesa then rejected a stadium deal in the now famous Rio Salado expansion. Glendale was the only city willing to fund the stadium at that point. And Glendale's position is valid. A light rail to the stadium would serve more people than simply extending rail into east Mesa. And what "dire straights" is Glendale facing regarding the stadium bills?

It may not seem beneficial in the short term in regards to this project but you have to remember that public transportation system impacts a city far more than three high schools. An efficient and large scale public transportation system makes a city far more attractive to both companies and people alike. That would spur our economy. I think people are approaching this from an immediate gratification stand point and you simply can't do that with regard to this project as this is an infrastructure project whose benefits won't truly be felt for decades. It might be expensive but it's necessary and I know our children and grandchildren will be glad we made this investment.
I remember the ballot issue and everyone I talked to understood that the stadium was to be built in Glendale. If they had known all these other ridiculous locations would jump in from other cities they would not have voted the money for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 12:16 PM

263 posts, read 1,078,795 times
Exclamation re: first post with pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I rode it yesterday around 2pm and again around 5pm and both times it was standing room only. 2pm was heading into DT, 5pm was coming back.

This was the 5pm train in midtown...

Well, I must be honest in that I'm more than impressed! I'm actualy a little proud of Phoenix to have this. I swear, I was mr. negative about this...notbody will ride, it's too dang hot to stand outside waiting, blah blah. But I couldn't be any more wrong it appears. I wonder how subscription will be when it's warmer.

I didn't even know this thing was running. Congrats to Phoenix/Arizona!

Old 04-12-2009, 12:57 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I remember the ballot issue and everyone I talked to understood that the stadium was to be built in Glendale. If they had known all these other ridiculous locations would jump in from other cities they would not have voted the money for it.
They had already started very preliminary construction in 2001 (and ordered a large amount of steel, etc,) in Tempe when it was finally decided to stop construction there. Sept 11, 2001 had a lot to do with the final decision.

Here's a bit of info about the history. The site has a lot, but I can't seem to copy the link. The vote for the tax was, apparently, in November, 2000:

In Maricopa County, voters approved funding for a new Arizona Cardinals stadium with a scant 2%, and that could be narrowed as final votes are tallied. As of this morning (Thursday), the issue has passed by 21,717 votes, but there are still 135,000 uncounted ballots. That includes mail-in ballots and others that must be verified by hand. If the vote holds, the stadium would open in 2004.

Polling showed the issue was losing, but in the final days of the campaign, supporters emphasized the benefits the measure would also bring to tourism and the state's Cactus League. The effort was also bolstered by the recent decision by the Kansas City Royals and the Texas Rangers to move their spring training facilities to Arizona. Those moves were dependant upon passage of the increase in hotel and car rental taxes.
The next fight will come over where to build the stadium. Voters approved the measure without knowing just where the venue will be located. Tempe and Mesa have a joint proposal as do several cities in the West Valley.

Last edited by observer53; 04-12-2009 at 01:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area