U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-22-2009, 03:27 PM

245 posts, read 568,017 times

Advertisements

how far is the closest beach from Phoenix?

also, is it safe to travel to the mexican beaches? is water clear blue like on the gulf coast side? or the murky green color?

thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 03:46 PM

559 posts, read 928,785 times
Closes beach is Rocky Point Mexico.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:19 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,253,447 times
all us Zonies goto San Diego

Old 03-22-2009, 04:48 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,382,483 times
I've never been to Rocky Point. Not sure of the clarity (or lack) of the water. I've been to San Felipe and that is below Mexicali on the Baja peninsula. Water is not clear. It's not like the Carribean. Been to Cabo San Lucas. Water is not see through either. Nor is it down near Manzanillo. I would think Cancun and Cosumel have see through water...

I love Mexico, but with all that's going on, I have no need to go over there, nor desire until the bloody violence significantly decreases. I have timeshares in Hawaii and it greatly satisfies my craving for beaches and good climate. It's peaceful and the young Hawaiian women are mostly pleasant on the eyes.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:38 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,092,092 times
Rocky Point's about three and a half or four hours from Phoenix, but with all the turmoil at the border, is it worth the risk?

San Diego, Orange County and LA are all about a six hour drive away. One hour flight if you can find cheap airfare.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:07 PM

7,971 posts, read 16,166,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
Rocky Point's about three and a half or four hours from Phoenix, but with all the turmoil at the border, is it worth the risk?

San Diego, Orange County and LA are all about a six hour drive away. One hour flight if you can find cheap airfare.
Great point and good advice, Buckeye!

Old 03-22-2009, 08:10 PM

7,971 posts, read 16,166,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthedirtbub View Post
Closes beach is Rocky Point Mexico.
Cool resort, snowthedirt.

However, definitely NOT worth the risk and/or grief nowadays.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:14 PM

488 posts, read 851,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamteam View Post
how far is the closest beach from Phoenix?

also, is it safe to travel to the mexican beaches? is water clear blue like on the gulf coast side? or the murky green color?

thanks in advance.
Rocky Point (Puerto Puenasco, I believe, is the Spanish name) is the closest beach. It's about four hours away. The Mexican counsel has been trying to say that the roads are fine and safe - but then again, both U of A and ASU issued announcements to their students to avoid travelling there on Spring Break because of the kidnappings and violence.

It's *probably* safe - but frankly, given that with about one more hour driving you could be in San Diego, I'd rather be more sure.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:29 PM

2,441 posts, read 3,895,723 times
As others have said, Rocky Point, Sonoro, Mexico is the closest beach to Phoenix. The water does have a turquoise hue to it, but it still isn't clear. You would have to go down to at least Mazatlan before you get clearer water.

Unlike what others have said, travel to Rocky Point is safe. Thousands of kids from ASU and U of A just went on Spring Break in Mexico, and there have been no stories of them being kidnapped or murdered on the way there or back. The majority of the violence that is occurring right now is in border towns. The border town that you would go through to get to Rocky Point is quite small. At that point, you are on a busy road to quickly carry you down to the beach.

San Diego and Orange County are NOT substitutes for Rocky Point. The water at California beaches is ALWAYS cold. The outdoor temperature is rarely much better. If you want a full beach experience, go to Rocky Point or San Carlos.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:09 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,092,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse View Post
It's *probably* safe - but frankly, given that with about one more hour driving you could be in San Diego, I'd rather be more sure.
The only problem with that is the drive on I-8 through the mountain passes between eastern San Diego County and El Centro are downright brutal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area