U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-26-2009, 05:37 PM

45 posts, read 127,072 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am relocating to the area in June. I just found out my work hours are 7:30 am to 4 pm. I will be working in Southern Scottsdale near General Dynamics.

I have two questions:

I wanted to know what the traffic is like on the roads from lets say 6:00-7:30 am and then again from 4-5:30 pm. I am trying to figure out a radius of about an hour commute to try and find a house to purchase.

Any suggestions on good housing areas within an hours commuting time? I have a wife and two young children if you need to know specifics.

Thanks for all the help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 05:46 PM

587 posts, read 855,621 times
When you say an hour commute, do you mean total or each way?

Old 03-26-2009, 07:12 PM

1 posts, read 5,384 times
Hi, USCG - I moved here 11 years ago and only stumbled across this forum today. All the trouble I could have saved myself! I live on the west side of Phx but I can give you some ideas. Hopefully, someone from the east side will post some more. Traffic is bad on any of the freeways during traditional rush hours and is particularly strained if you are moving towards downtown in the morning or away from downtown in the evening. I live 13 miles from my office downtown. Commute takes me about 35 minutes during rush hour and I avoid the freeways. The east side has a great reputation and so you have lots of options available to you. Awhautukee is a very respected community south of your location with great schools but a little distant if you want to get out on the weekends. Mesa also has some great spots but go for the newest areas of Mesa. A lot depends on your budget for housing. Paradise Valley is ideal, for example, but spendy. Good luck!

Old 03-26-2009, 08:06 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,255,154 times
Well you probably want to look at houses in North Scottsdale and then your commute wont be that long.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:49 PM

I am asking about a commute lasting about an hour each way.

We can afford a house in the $130k range so that puts Scottsdale out of my market.

What are typical busy times on the roads in AZ? I am used to Boston traffic where the morning commute is from 7:30-9 am and then the evening is from 4:30-6:30. Is that typical of Phoenix as well?

Thanks for the help so far.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:23 PM

I never understand people who can put up with and hour+ plus commute each way. It seems like they are hiding from something @ home I guess marriage and kids will do that to people. They would rather sit in traffic then deal with the inferno@ home. South Scottsdale and Mesa are nearby too.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:54 PM

I never understood people who just jump to conclusions either. Did you get one of those mats from "Office Space"?

I have a great marriage and wonderful kids. I am also coming form an Active Duty assignment in the Miltary where I was stationed outside the continential US without my family for the past year. I am just trying to find the best community I can for my family in an state and area I have no idea about. I am willing to drive an hour each way to put them somewhere they deserve to be. I am not being the selfish person and saying my commute dictates where we live and I do not care of it puts you into a crime ridden location or a bad school district.

Maybe AZnative4Life you have never been married, I do not know, but in my world I make sacrifices for my family. A marriage is give and take. I will suck it up and take up to an hour commute to give my family the house and life they deserve. Next time don't bother responding to questions if you have nothing productive to say...

Old 03-27-2009, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscg200 View Post
I never understood people who just jump to conclusions either. Did you get one of those mats from "Office Space"?

I have a great marriage and wonderful kids. I am also coming form an Active Duty assignment in the Miltary where I was stationed outside the continential US without my family for the past year. I am just trying to find the best community I can for my family in an state and area I have no idea about. I am willing to drive an hour each way to put them somewhere they deserve to be. I am not being the selfish person and saying my commute dictates where we live and I do not care of it puts you into a crime ridden location or a bad school district.

Maybe AZnative4Life you have never been married, I do not know, but in my world I make sacrifices for my family. A marriage is give and take. I will suck it up and take up to an hour commute to give my family the house and life they deserve. Next time don't bother responding to questions if you have nothing productive to say...
No jumping to conclusions here hell if you want some cheap cookie cutter house and drive an hour to get there have fun. There are cheap affordable houses in the general area you plan to work. I'm sure some rundown new subdivision in Maricopa or Queen Creek will be just fine for you.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:44 AM

Actually we have been looking towards Peoria, North Phoenix and Glendale as those are the areas I hoave found that have houses we can afford. I have yet to find any "cheap affordable houses" in Scottsdale. I have been looking for 4-5 months now. If you could point me to where these houses are then I would be willing to look there too.

As for part of my initial question, what are your experiences on the roads leading to Phoenix at 6:30-7:30 am and then at 4-5 pm? Is it really a parking lot? Anyone here from or driven in Boston traffic? Does Phoenix traffic compare to Boston traffic?

Old 03-27-2009, 06:06 AM

723 posts, read 1,438,154 times
This is typical Traffic during a Phx. morning commute

This is typical Traffic during the afternoon commute

Different times of day but same Traffic nightmares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area