U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 03:36 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,351,248 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to the east side of the valley sometime soon and I found out from my realtor that I won't be allowed to park a motorhome in my backyard even if I have an RV gate if where I buy has a HOA. Is this true??? My realtor said that no RV could be seen from the road. A boat would work since it is shorter and can't be seen but I'll have a motorhome which could be seen so it can only stay on the property between 24 to 72 hours depending on the HOA rules.
Is all this true? I was hoping to park my RV on my property. I understand why they don't want an RV parked out on the road or in the driveway. That makes perfect sense to me to keep the neighborhood nice but I can't keep it in my backyard behind a fence???
What's the deal on that??? Just curious.
Are there RV storage facilities provided in these developments or do I have to find a place to store it???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 03:48 PM

1,712 posts, read 1,918,384 times
It (should anyway) be a matter of personal choice. People who don't want to look at such things should live where the rules prevent them and people who want to keep them in their yards should live where the rules allow them. If the rules prevent them in ALL neighborhoods that is just wrong. I personally like that rule. I haven't had the problem myself but I had a friend who had a neighbor who chose to park an aluminum behemoth right up against the fence line, which was directly opposite my friend's pool. It changed what was once a nice view into something that my friend considered unsightly. I would rather avoid that sort of issue and would seek out a neighborhood that didn't allow it. Still, I sympathize with someone who has an RV and wants to park it in his yard. There ought to be choices that allow both possibilities.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:55 PM

7,972 posts, read 16,174,275 times
Interesting question, Maverick . . .

Personal preference and/or likes and dislikes aside, I doubt seriously if anyone on here is able to accurately answer your question without reading the CC&Rs for your HOA.

If my home were behind yours with a direct view of your backyard, I would be anything but elated with the regular sight of an RV parked for extended periods.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:23 PM

What's the point of an RV gate if you can't park your RV there??? I'm looking at homes on cul-de-sacs with no neighbors in the rear and a larger back yard for that very reason.
I don't have a problem with not keeping it there permanently but as I understand it, you can only park an RV for no more than 72 hours or as little as 24 hours depending on the HOA rules and only once a month.
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of HOA's since it more than likely will keep the neighborhood from becoming a dump but that's what I though an RV gate was for. To keep it out of the front yards. No old junk cars up on blocks, dirt bikes or trashy boats for all to see. Keep the yards clean and well kept. I agree with that 100%.
If I can't keep it on the property, are there places to store them????

Old 03-27-2009, 06:24 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,625,980 times
I have seen a few RV & Boat Storage places around.. i'm sure you can find a place to keep it.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:53 PM

17,573 posts, read 20,896,059 times
It depends on YOUR HOA. Some allow them, most do not. But you have to see what YOUR rules will be. Most of the better developments ban RVs parked on the lot. Most cities ban them on streets and on the in the front. In Goodyear, you get 48 hours in the driveway till they can cite you under the blight ordinance. There are RV storage lots EVERYWHERE. Costs about 50 bucks a month uncovered and 125+ covered. Bite the bullet, that is just the way it is.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:56 AM

6,066 posts, read 8,466,224 times
Most HOA's do not allow RV's parked on the property. A simple phone call to the management company of a community you're interested in will get the question answered if there is any doubt.

RV gates are used for people with trailers or boats that they need to park on the side of the house.

All HOA's allow you to park your RV on the street for 24 hours to load and unload before and after a trip.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:43 PM

1,234 posts, read 2,385,505 times
my hoa will allow anything behind the RV gate that is not taller then the fence. so, if its over 6'-0" i can't park it in my back yard. each HOA will have different wording, so you will need to check with each house's HOA.

I believe some cities even have laws against RV's. I thought i read somewhere on here about someone in mesa having an issue with the city about their motorhome.

Personally that is one of the rules i do not agree with, i can understand mandating a high quality neutral colored cover but a complete ban is absurd. if you do buy in an hoa I hope you won't get a crappy neighbor who reports you every time you load up for the weekend...

Old 03-31-2009, 05:04 PM

Yes, that would suck. I am looking in Gilbert, Mesa and Chandler as well but those areas are a bit more than I want to spend but with no HOA's, that might be the way to go. In some ways I like the idea of an HOA knowing that it helps keep the developments from getting trashy but on the other hand, it can be pretty restrictive. I agree with most of the rules. I certainly don't want to see old cars jacked up in the front yards, purple pok-a-dot painted houses, yards overgrown with weeds and trash, etc., but I would think that if you have an RV BEHIND a fence, that wouldn't be intrusive to others. I'd be happy to cover it with whatever they HOA wanted but that doesn't appear to be a choice.
In any case, if that's the rule and I don't agree with it, I'm not going to complain about it. I just won't buy into an HOA unless I can figure out how I can do what I need to do. At least I will understand the rules that all residences have to abide by.
I'll find the right place for me if it's meant to be whatever city that might be.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:12 PM

7,972 posts, read 16,174,275 times
Great point, Maverick . . .

For every "negative" linked to an HOA, there are at least a half dozen "positives" if not more.

Be careful jumping into a Non HOA community as there are many local ordinances against RV parking as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area