U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-28-2009, 09:22 PM

38 posts, read 44,021 times
Geez, another one of these silly questions, not to be taken seriously.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 11:09 PM

4,300 posts, read 9,799,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urpilotfriend View Post
I see. How about the northern parts of Scottsdale? Areas with lot's of hiking, biking, and parks nearby for the kids and some trails to mountain bike for the dad's?
I think the N Scottsdale crowd will look the other way if you drive at least a BMW 500 series. They are more into your financial status then your social status up there.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:32 AM

15,860 posts, read 18,628,631 times
Well your neighbors are certainly going to talk about you behind your back until they get used to the idea and then you will probably be accepted by all but a few. On the other hand, it may be some time, if ever, that parents let their kids have a sleepover at your place.

If you were two females it would be easier, I think. There is a female couple with a kid in our social circle and they are doing OK. But, there's a prejudicial association of gay males and child molesting that you will be facing. Rightly or wrongly, you have to know that many parents are going to be afraid - or at least on guard - of you even if they are not overtly hostile. You may be able to mitigate this problem if you are active in the school, kids sports, talk to other parents and people get to know you and not have all the fears and stereotypes. It's hard to maintain a hatred and fear of someone you know and find likable. There are people here who are capable of that, but most are not.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:10 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,000,226 times
I don't think you'll have any sort of outright TROUBLE. People here generally have the "live and let live" mentality. That said; I think you'll find a few problems in the east side suburbs that have a very high mormon population, such as Mesa or Gilbert.

Over all, while some people WILL be put off by it, you should be fine anywhere in the Phoenix area.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:22 AM

55 posts, read 113,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuh View Post
Do you have to move to Phoenix? Maybe got a new job or something else? I'm not gay but a lot of people think I am. I get gay bashed on a constant basis. Seeing as I'm not gay, I could imagine how bad it would be for someone who was. Look for a city with an open mind. Lets say you move to Tempe, and the bashing is not as frequent, is it really worth moving out here and not wanting to leave a certain area because 2 blocks away they have a different mind set? Also think about your children. I could not imagine how poorly they would be treated in the Scottsdale schools by snotty golden boys who pick on anyone out side of their circle. If you have any more questions about this area message me, I wont sugar coat it at all.
Two of my four sons are gay, and I asked them if they feel they get treated differently here because of it. They both said that they don't. They've lived in Scottsdale, North Phoenix, south of Camelback between 7th Ave. and 7th Street and the Christown neighborhood. They have a lot of friends, both gay and straight, and I've never heard any of them talk about gay bashing here in Phoenix.

When we first moved from Northern California to Phoenix, I expected that the people here would be less tolerant. I was really surprised when my sons were in high school here and told me that they felt no discrimination from other students. I did not expect that at all. They were surprised that I even asked them about it and said, "Mom, this isn't the sixties or seventies anymore!"

There's a gay couple who lives across the street from us. All of the neighbors seem to be very friendly to them.

I just don't see or hear of any gay bashing here. Maybe it happens, but I sure don't hear about it.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:52 AM

232 posts, read 362,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Ignore this person. In the previous thread, he has already stated the that downtown Phoenix is overrun by crackheads and prostitutes. He also stated the newspapers and media are wrong in regards to the productivity of the new light rail and that it will completely disappear soon. This person obviously is obviously disgruntled with Phoenix and obviously has an agenda to put down Phoenix and will say anything to that effect.
I suppose you can call it a agenda. I'd call it more of a public service. I do believe people should be aware of the dangers of the 50th most uneducated state in America.( Arizona: Dumbest state - Opinions (http://media.wildcat.arizona.edu/media/storage/paper997/news/2006/10/23/Opinions/Arizona.Dumbest.State-2381958.shtml - broken link) )

Old 03-29-2009, 01:49 PM

38 posts, read 44,021 times
This type of question is designed to provoke an opinion. This enables those who disagree to respond with insults and intimidation.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:24 PM

11 posts, read 13,715 times
Hello, here is a picture of the voting results on the marriage amendment passed in Nov. that amended the constitution to provide that only the marriage between a man and woman would be recognized in AZ.

The ares that are shaded white and light red/pink are the areas that voted predominantly no on the amendment. Those are the areas you would want to seek out.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:40 PM

2,441 posts, read 3,591,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I think the N Scottsdale crowd will look the other way if you drive at least a BMW 500 series. They are more into your financial status then your social status up there.
Wow, way to stereotype.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:49 PM

8,848 posts, read 8,947,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Wow, way to stereotype.
LOL, she was stereotyping but there is value to what she was trying to say. People misjudge Scottsdale. Scottsdale is elitist but not necessarily prejudice. They discriminate against people based on wealth and social standing as opposed to race and sexual orientation. There are a lot of wealthy elitist homosexuals in Scottsdale as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area