U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-01-2009, 06:17 PM
 
232 posts, read 364,139 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Yeah, I believe that story. How did they know you were gay? Did you have a sign on your forehead stating "GAY" in bold print. Give it up already. We understand you don't like Phoenix but there is no need to make up stories now to discredit the city. Let me guess, you are going to tell us you were holding hands or making out with another man in the parking lot to make your story sound more credible. First you try to claim the light rail isn't making money. Then when I provide proof that the light rail is making money through an AZ Republic article, you claim the newspapers and news stations made that up to make the city look good. Phoenix is known for being gay friendly.
Also, Phoenix is not known for being gay friendly. You are thinking of Tuscon which has more gays per capita then any other city in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-01-2009, 06:20 PM
 
8,861 posts, read 9,002,863 times
Reputation: 6038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuh View Post
Actually, I was with my girlfriend holding her hand.. The reason I was called a "***" my longer then normal hair. Which brings up another point. If you do not act and dress like everyone else here. The people will tear you apart. It has to do with the city not having any real culture.
Okay, now I really don't believe you. People just randomly drove up to you and called you names because you have long hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2009, 06:20 PM
 
1,483 posts, read 1,182,249 times
Reputation: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by urpilotfriend View Post
Hi everyone. Just a quite question about how a family with two male parents would be viewed in the suburbs of Phoenix?

Thanks.
I thought about your question for a moment before posting.

Try Cave Creek (the city-not down by Phx)....or Tempe by ASU as another suggested.

Hate to say it, but I would not go for the cookie cutter suburbs. Why look for trouble.

If you want to know about the far n.e. Scottsdale/Carefree/Cave Creek area...msg me. I know this area well. It's great up here. People leave you alone/help you if you need it/ like kids/ etc.

I'd be glad to lend a hand to your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2009, 06:24 PM
 
8,861 posts, read 9,002,863 times
Reputation: 6038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuh View Post
Also, Phoenix is not known for being gay friendly. You are thinking of Tuscon which has more gays per capita then any other city in the US.
There have been gay threads about Phoenix in the past and all of them have claimed it is gay friendly here. Tempe's former mayor was openly gay. Jim Kolbe is a former openly gay Republican congressman and was one of only three openly gay politicians at the Federal level at the time. Janet Napolitano is not openly gay but was presumed to be gay and she no problem winning attorney general or the governorship. In 2006, an anti-gay (same sex marriage) act was rejected initially. Phoenix is often listed as one of the most gay friendly cities in the United States in lists.

And the people who called you names were ridiculing your hair not your sexual orientation. They didn't think you were a homosexual. So there was no point to bringing up that account in this thread since it has nothing to do with homosexuality. You deliberately left out the fact that you were holding your girlfriend's hand at the time those guys yelled those obscenities at you because you wanted to provide the impression that they were being homophobic and targeting a gay man. Just another cheap smear campaign!

Last edited by azriverfan.; 04-01-2009 at 06:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2009, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Tucson/Scottsdale, AZ
3,322 posts, read 4,511,400 times
Reputation: 2485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuh View Post
You are thinking of Tuscon which has more gays per capita then any other city in the US.
uhuh....absolutely untrue and you know it.....

I live part-time in Tucson and, yes, it has a more liberal rep than Phx and deserves it, but your claim has never been mentioned anywhere....I once read that, surprise surprise, SF does, in fact, have more gays per capita.....

and it's spelled Tucson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2009, 10:42 AM
 
232 posts, read 364,139 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Okay, now I really don't believe you. People just randomly drove up to you and called you names because you have long hair.
How do you know? This happens to me on a daily basis, and I would swear on it if it mattered. Phoenix/Scottsdale is swarming with "wiggers" Spoiled rich kids emulating MTV rappers, who take out their parents SUV'S and go cruising and gay bash innocent pedestrians. You of course would never admit this, most likely its your son who is going around doing this. You and me are in different age demographic. There is an entirely different side of Phoenix you have no idea of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2009, 10:48 AM
 
232 posts, read 364,139 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
uhuh....absolutely untrue and you know it.....

I live part-time in Tucson and, yes, it has a more liberal rep than Phx and deserves it, but your claim has never been mentioned anywhere....I once read that, surprise surprise, SF does, in fact, have more gays per capita.....

and it's spelled Tucson
I would to assume SF having more gays per capita as well , I just went off on what my homosexual friends have told me. I'm at work and they wont let me access and sites to back up my assumption, but in the mean time, I will take your post as fact. No need to be hostile though, and I do apologize for misspelling Tucson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2009, 12:19 PM
 
68 posts, read 203,737 times
Reputation: 47
I am not gay, but am very much a fan of "the gays" and in my honest opinion, having only lived in Gilbert in my relatively short residency in Arizona: Gilbert would largely NOT be the place for a family like yours (unfortunately).

I don't think you would get "bashed" in Gilbert, but you probably would get plenty of icy glares and parents who ignore you at social functions. The mormons here barely tolerate us "regular" heterosexual WASPS- in both neighborhoods I have lived in Gilbert, they mostly ignore anyone who isn't from their ward and you can get to feeling awfully invisible because they are very, very tight-knit and not very open to non LDS friendships.

That said, I wish more diverse families would move here. It's a safe, clean and stable community with great schools and a lot to offer families with young children in particular. I wish you the best with your move and I hope you find a friendly neighborhood to put your roots in!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2009, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
15,897 posts, read 18,723,272 times
Reputation: 8252
Not to nit-pick (well maybe a little) but you can't have "gays per capita" Per capita means per person. So one can not speak of numbers of gays per person. It's an incorrect usage. Say "percent of population that is gay" or "gay fraction" instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2009, 12:46 PM
 
122 posts, read 159,499 times
Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by urpilotfriend View Post
Hi everyone. Just a quite question about how a family with two male parents would be viewed in the suburbs of Phoenix?

Thanks.
No idea how any particular suburb of Phoenix (or anywhere) would view your situation. However, surely you must know that there are conservative people all over who as individuals would not appreciate your situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top