U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-29-2009, 08:45 PM

137 posts, read 274,258 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm in a quandary. Right now I live in Durham, NC, where I've lived for seven years. I came here to get a certificate in teaching ESL to adults and stayed here. My original home/birthplace was Miami, FL, where I lived half of my life so far. Prior to coming to NC, I had two chances to move to Phoenix, and I blew them both out of fear of such a "big" move. Here I am and have been, hating Durham, and not really all that fond of NC either. I don't fit in here one bit, not being a "southerner." I've thought about Phoenix time and again, regretting that I didn't move there. I visited there twice, once in April and then in December, and I will never forget the beauty of the desert, particularly at night, as well as the daily sunshine. I miss sunshine immensely being here in NC. I also don't fit in here, not being a "southerner," and alone too at that, with no family here. The two chances I had were, first a job at a journal, then acceptance into a graduate program in TESOL.

What I'm doing workwise is working as a reader for a company that reads standardized reading/writing tests. It's seasonal work and offers no potential to become full-time with benefits. What I've done on the side here is teach ESL part-time to adults and I tutor in ESL privately. How's the job market there for teaching ESL to adults or potentially for me to start a tutoring business there? My degree is in journalism, and my experience in that was as a researcher/proofreader, something I got out of to teach ESL part-time in Miami. I tried returning to my field but haven't found the chance to, even though I miss it greatly. I've done administrative/office work and would do that if I could find a job with benefits. My passions are research and teaching ESL/tutoring.

I'm middle-aged, single, and enjoy dining out, salsa dancing, festivals, the symphony, chamber groups.
I know there have to be better singles groups out in Phoenix than here. Could I just move there, put my stuff in storage and rent a place for six months to see how it goes? Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 09:24 PM

1,046 posts, read 2,081,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
Hi,

I'm middle-aged, single, and enjoy dining out, salsa dancing, festivals, the symphony, chamber groups.
I know there have to be better singles groups out in Phoenix than here. Could I just move there, put my stuff in storage and rent a place for six months to see how it goes? Any opinions?
Whats keeping you from moving? You have no responsibilities to anyone but yourself. If it doesn't work out you can always try somewhere else.

p.s. I lived in NC for 5 years (Wilmington and Raleigh) and I liked it more than Phoenix. Come here, you may really love it.
p.s.s I never had a problem with the Southern thing. Most people in Wilmington and a good percentage in Raleigh are from North of the Mason Dixon.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:13 PM

696 posts, read 702,528 times
Do try and line up a job before relocating to Phoenix - the job market is very weak here. Too bad about NC - I have lived in Raleigh, C-Hill (go Tarheels!), W-Salem, Greensboro and a bunch of little towns in between. Have you considered other cities in NC? Durham has always been very ghetto with high crime.

You might want to check out Arizona in the summer months - as it is not for the faint of heart. Natives of AZ are few and far between. Also, the educational system is poor in AZ...NC offers a much better educated population and with nicer manners. The state also enjoys the benefit of both mountains and the ocean. You might find being land-locked a huge drag.

Good luck!

Old 03-30-2009, 07:37 AM

Thanks. Yes, actually I have been thinking about Raleigh or Cary too, and that just getting out of Durham would be a healthy move. There is something drawing me to Arizona, and I'm not sure what that is. I'm hoping someone on this site can give me an idea about the populations in major companies in Arizona, so that I can learn whether there would be opportunities for me to tutor in English. Here, for example, at the various firms and in medical research facilities, there are a large number of Asians, and I have been tutoring these privately on a very small scale. I've also taught ESL in the community colleges, and there the population consists of Latinos. I'm hoping someone can let me know about this in the Phoenix area.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:33 AM

2,392 posts, read 3,318,969 times
Quote:
Hi,

I'm in a quandary. Right now I live in Durham, NC, where I've lived for seven years. I came here to get a certificate in teaching ESL to adults and stayed here. My original home/birthplace was Miami, FL, where I lived half of my life so far. Prior to coming to NC, I had two chances to move to Phoenix, and I blew them both out of fear of such a "big" move. Here I am and have been, hating Durham, and not really all that fond of NC either. I don't fit in here one bit, not being a "southerner." I've thought about Phoenix time and again, regretting that I didn't move there. I visited there twice, once in April and then in December, and I will never forget the beauty of the desert, particularly at night, as well as the daily sunshine. I miss sunshine immensely being here in NC. I also don't fit in here, not being a "southerner," and alone too at that, with no family here. The two chances I had were, first a job at a journal, then acceptance into a graduate program in TESOL.

What I'm doing workwise is working as a reader for a company that reads standardized reading/writing tests. It's seasonal work and offers no potential to become full-time with benefits. What I've done on the side here is teach ESL part-time to adults and I tutor in ESL privately. How's the job market there for teaching ESL to adults or potentially for me to start a tutoring business there? My degree is in journalism, and my experience in that was as a researcher/proofreader, something I got out of to teach ESL part-time in Miami. I tried returning to my field but haven't found the chance to, even though I miss it greatly. I've done administrative/office work and would do that if I could find a job with benefits. My passions are research and teaching ESL/tutoring.

Hey fellow Floridian and Durhamnite. Your story is kind of like mine except in reverse. I would say that you should secure employment before moving. That's really important in these economic times.

To me Raliegh and Durham is one metro so just moving to Raleigh may not be what fits you. Personally, I liked living in Phoenix better than Durham. As a single gentleman the pool of non-married folks was just better and greater in PHX. PHX is beautiful and peaceful. The people are very friendly. I found that it was easier to make friends in PHX than it seems to be here in Durham Raleigh area.

The cost of living maybe slightly higher in PHX, but you should be able to make a salary that offsets the slight increase in housing costs.

The weather is much nicer in PHX during the winter months. Very similar to FLA. Being from FLA, you'll be able to adjust to and handle the summer time in PHX. I enjoyed the summers in PHX.

Having said all of that, I moved to Durham because I needed a job. If I could have kept my old job in PHX I would still be living there. Overall, I just like the feel of PHX better than I do NC. No disrespect to Durham, Raleigh, Winston Salem, or Charlotte. They are all nice cities but I've found that you have to fit the personality of your metro or you'll just feel out of place.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:58 PM

You hit the nail right on the head, "he's so hott." I feel like such a misfit in North Carolina. Maybe because of "not being from around here," as the locals here put it. From day one they've asked me "what brought you here?" and I always thought it was just conversation, but there's something more to that question. I've looked at Meetup.com and I see so much out there in Arizona to do, and for singles too. Are there any language schools there? I need to make some ESL contacts if anyone has suggestions.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:13 PM

7,941 posts, read 15,988,172 times
One simple suggestion, Miamian . . .

Moving to Phoenix, or any destination, "temporarily" with your stuff in storage, hoping to "fit in." is a major mistake.

If you are honest and sincere with your plans to create a home in Phoenix, move with a positive attitude and make it work. "Fitting In" is a frame of mind and should not be a problem unless you decide to make it a problem.

Good Luck

Old 03-30-2009, 11:03 PM

382 posts, read 851,298 times
There are ESL schools out here that cater to a wide variety of people. I'm not sure if some of these links will actually help, but a couple had links for jobs and where to apply. Here's something at least :

English Language Schools in Arizona, USA. Web Directory
Phoenix Arizona Language School - Learn Spanish, English, French, Japanese and more language. Language lessons and classes Adults and Children.
English Courses Phoenix :: English School Phoenix :: English Language Course Phoenix
Arizona Schools and ESL Programs

Phoenix can be a great place, and does have some really great people too. Most of us won't really care where you come from, but like most places, it has it's crappy side as well.

Get a job first, and then ask around about places to live before you move. A lot of areas have nice spots right next to ghetto.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:10 AM

6 posts, read 7,821 times
Default Hey....Me too!!!!

Quote:
You hit the nail right on the head, "he's so hott." I feel like such a misfit in North Carolina. Maybe because of "not being from around here," as the locals here put it. From day one they've asked me "what brought you here?" and I always thought it was just conversation, but there's something more to that question. I've looked at Meetup.com and I see so much out there in Arizona to do, and for singles too. Are there any language schools there? I need to make some ESL contacts if anyone has suggestions.
I got the same question too! I moved for Florida to Virginia and my experience mirrors yours to a "T". I also got a lot of attitude. The local yokels can smell that you aren't from around here and believe me, I've lived in many different places, including overseas so I know how to get along with people.

I asked a friend who was raised in the deep south and who now lives in Florida what was "up" and she told me it IS the whole southern "thing" because you "ain't from 'roun here". Strangers ARE treated differently and sometimes rudely. This happens when you live in one area all your life and never go beyond the county you were born in.

My experience is like the movie "Deliverance."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area