Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 11:01 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
I know what and where Gilbert is. I wanted to know where Gilbet is located b/c the poster I quoted mentioned a city called Gilbet and Gilbet maybe a ideal location for the OP if the temps are much cooler in that part of AZ.
There is no such place as Gilbet. I thihk the poster just misspelled Gilbert.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:09 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniki View Post
Thank you all so much! I know it might be a tall order, but you never know unless you ask, right? Lots to consider.

The Prescott region definitely appeals to me, but is probably too out of the way for my roommate. The reasoning behind not moving to the Vegas area is the climate, air quality, crime rate, bad schools... it's Vegas, what would you expect, right?
LOL..well according to some people, we are not much better. I love Phoenix but I have to be honest with you. This looks like a marriage made in heII. I don't think Phoenix will suit you. As vegaspilgrim said, check out Salt Lake City if you can deal with right wing conservatism. Other than than the right wing aspects, SLC is a great city. I love heat and would prefer 110 degrees if it means I can get clear skies and 300 days of sunshine over gloomy rainy and moderate weather any day.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:20 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Phoenix is not that hot; just about everyone has an air conditioned house and car, all the buildings are air conditioned. All you have to 'brave' is a walk from your car in a parking lot to your destination. Winters are great as is Spring and Autumn.
I agree. I think the heat is vastly overrated. There is no humidity here and that is a huge difference. People think the humidity aspect is just psychological and it's not. Physiologically speaking, humidity inhibits the body's cooling process. When the water content is thick in the air, the sweat on your skin can't evaporate. Sweating isn't what cools a person. What cools a person is when that sweat is carried off your skin. Therefore in dry climates, the body is better able to cool itself as sweat is lifted on the skin quickly and easily. However, in places with high heat and humidity, the risk of heat stroke is greater even if the temperatures are less. If your body is unable to release heat, it can cause a lot of problems. This is why Corey Stringer of the Vikings died in Minnesota in the summer because of the humidity even though the heat was considerably less than in Arizona. This is also why most heat stroke among U.S. citizens occurs in Florida. Yes, we have immigrants who die of heat stroke while trying to cross the border but that is a different scenario as they are dying from exposure and a lack of water. In Arizona, we don't see a lot of heat stroke among U.S. citizens because as long as they are able to stay hydrated, the lack of humidity enables us to keep cooler.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:56 AM

8,321 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
There is no such place as Gilbet. I thihk the poster just misspelled Gilbert.
I feel it was only a typo. Pointing out such a trivial mistake is a bit unnecessary, don't you thihk so?

Old 03-31-2009, 01:15 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,549 times
Nod to Turco but I think there was some confusion raised in a response post suggesting Gibert was offered as an alternative city to Gilbert...just a little miscommunication going both ways being cleared up.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:20 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I feel it was only a typo. Pointing out such a trivial mistake is a bit unnecessary, don't you thihk so?
I was responding to THIS post on the previous page:

"I know what and where Gilbert is. I wanted to know where Gilbet is located b/c the poster I quoted mentioned a city called Gilbet and Gilbet maybe a ideal location for the OP if the temps are much cooler in that part of AZ."

I responded to that post, assuming that they wanted an answer. Enough said.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:30 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
Nod to Turco but I think there was some confusion raised in a response post suggesting Gibert was offered as an alternative city to Gilbert...just a little miscommunication going both ways being cleared up.
But she offered up Gilbet not Gibert. That is when Observer stepped in and cleared things up.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:57 PM

8,321 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
Oh I know, I was only teasing Observer too. The real confusion would start when someone offers Chandbert as a nice alternative...lol.

Btw, I still think the area between Gilbert and Tibet could be referred to as "Gilbet"....

I love stirring sh.t up when I get bored...

Old 03-31-2009, 04:16 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Oh I know, I was only teasing Observer too. The real confusion would start when someone offers Chandbert as a nice alternative...lol.

Btw, I still think the area between Gilbert and Tibet could be referred to as "Gilbet"....

I love stirring sh.t up when I get bored...
Whoa, whoa, whoa! There is a place in AZ called Tibet? This is sooooo confusing.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:18 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raya22 View Post
I would try Gilbet, a little sub outside of PHoenix...safe with good schools. I moved here from the midwest, personally i am happy we did not choose Phoenix.

Just a thought
. To the rest of the world, Gilbert IS "Phoenix". And anyway, calling Gilbet a "little suburb outside of Phoenix" is a real stretch of fancy. It is a heavily populated bedroom community that looks like every other bedroom community in the area - and is just as hot. It's no wonder he's so hott didn't know what you were talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area