Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:13 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,287,779 times

Advertisements

I've realized for some people that "nothing to do" translates to "I can't leave my place and walk to a wine bar, museum or ride the subway." It's just an ignorant stereotype of the valley. Since we are not an urban city, we supposedly have nothing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 10:20 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,816,953 times
There are no boring places, only boring people.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:05 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I was wondering what exactly Minnesota or the Midwest has to do for fun that can't be done in the Valley of the Sun? Ice Fishing maybe?
Lol, that is funny.. Ice fishing

Old 03-31-2009, 11:14 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,391,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Ok. So you know you don't belong here. That's Ok. Everybody gotta be somewhere, you gave it 5 years. But let's be fair. That's not necessarily true for others from the Midwest. If it were, the majority of our snowbirds wouldn't come from there.

Interesting statement -- "This place won't cater to your desires..." Huh? I lived in the Midwest. NOWHERE caters to anyone's desires. No matter where you live, you gots ta go get it...

And - how do you know what anyone else wants? I'm from the Midwest. I'm a happy camper in the SouthWest. And the desert is fascinating.

Nothing to do? Nothing in the way of what?
Hiking? Fishing? Hunting? Dancing? Cultural Exploration? Caves? Whitewater rafting? Horseback Riding? Rodeo? Culture and the Arts? Grand Canyon? Train Rides through the Desert? Desert Botanical Gardens? Clubbing? Frank Lloyd Wright Tour? Shopping? Sunset watching?
Whaddya need? Here are a few sites before you pack up and leave.....

http://www.arizonaguide.com/whattodo/Default.aspx
THINGS TO DO IN ARIZONA
Great things to do in Arizona
What to do in Arizona - TripAdvisor
Things to do in Arizona & Attractions . - Yahoo! Travel

As always, it's in the eyes of the beholder. Glass half full or half empty. Your choice.
All so true.

To the OP-

Just because you are unhappy here (and you weren't too unhappy, or, as was already pointed out, you could have sold your house during the hot market and gone elsewhere) doesn't mean others will be.

Hope you find some other place that caters to your desires.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:39 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,694,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I am surmising the exorbitant cost of living in at least the more pleasant parts of the SF Bay Area.

If I had a family: most of California would be off my list as well-----------that state is not the 'California Dreamin' place of my youth anymore.
I'm more referring to all the posts by parents saying they constantly get dirty looks and even verbal insults because they have a child. I loved California but, like i said in another post, the bent racism is getting old.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:22 PM

338 posts, read 1,624,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
As a shoutout to all you Minnesotans or Midwesterners, this is NOT the place to be!

I've been here five plus years! This place will not cater to your desires, unless you live back there for half of the year.

The desert is oh so boring. Of course, I moved here from San Francisco, where there is oh so much to do.

At any rate, beware! This place has NOTHING to do here! At any rate, I wish I could edit my title of this thread to say "DON'T COME HERE!." But I can't without asking the Mods to do so here, and I won't bother them.
Funny because I feel the same way about the Midwest. I did not belong there and there was NOTHING to do and I really hated it with a passion. The only desire the midwest catered to for me was good pizza! Other than that, it was horrible and I was miserable. I was so HAPPY when we got back to Arizona that I took a picture of the Welcome to Arizona sign. I wanted to get out and take a picture of me by the sign but my b/f thought that was a little much. So there you go.....

why have you stayed here for 5 years if you hate it so much? I only lasted in the midwest for 3 months!

Old 03-31-2009, 02:54 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,287,779 times
The funny thing is there really isn't a lot to do in San Francisco. I know that sounds strange but aside from eating and drinking, what is there to do there? The weather is bad. It never really gets warm there. Anything you want to do is a far drive which is exactly like it is here. Want to go skiing, gotta drive to Tahoe. Want to do outdoors stuff, gotta drive to Yosemite. Wanna see a winery, gotta drive to Nappa. It's not like everything is 15 min from each other.

I love SF but I would love it more if I was in college. When you get old, going to a hooka bar just isn't that fun any longer. I would much rather go hiking or ride my bike in my back yard with beautiful sunny weather. I would much rather drive an hour to go to the lake. And I love having a big house with a yard, which I would never be able to afford in SF.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:20 PM

430 posts, read 1,409,645 times
Wink Its good to be somebody else to

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
Sucks to be you. I love it here.

some kind of classy language

Old 03-31-2009, 05:34 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkylady2 View Post
some kind of classy language

Oh, c'mon.. it's the internet. I'm sure you are not always on your 'classiest' behavior when online

Old 03-31-2009, 05:47 PM

242 posts, read 788,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The funny thing is there really isn't a lot to do in San Francisco. I know that sounds strange but aside from eating and drinking, what is there to do there? The weather is bad. It never really gets warm there. Anything you want to do is a far drive which is exactly like it is here. Want to go skiing, gotta drive to Tahoe. Want to do outdoors stuff, gotta drive to Yosemite. Wanna see a winery, gotta drive to Nappa. It's not like everything is 15 min from each other.

I love SF but I would love it more if I was in college. When you get old, going to a hooka bar just isn't that fun any longer. I would much rather go hiking or ride my bike in my back yard with beautiful sunny weather. I would much rather drive an hour to go to the lake. And I love having a big house with a yard, which I would never be able to afford in SF.
Dont forget shoppingBut if you are a broke college student like me, there really isnt anything to do...lol

Last edited by iluvcj; 03-31-2009 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: had to add something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area