Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:12 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Having lived in both places-----------Frisco loses pitifully.
Unless your gay LOL. I will agree with this statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 09:32 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
CA has incredible golf courses, too, dont kid yourself. I agree with your 2nd and 3rd points, but #1? Sorry dude, San Fran's weather (minus the fog) is FAAAAAAAAAAAR more comfortable than PHX, especially from April until October. And overall, San Fran is eons ahead of Phoenix, its not even worth comparing. Phoenix could be compared to places like Jacksonville, FL, NOT San Fran. Its just not fair to PHX to pit it against San Fran. Just my opinion...
You like SF weather because you live in Chicago and prefer cold weather to warm weather. San Fran never gets really cold but it never gets warm either and it's often cloudy. Even in mid July, you have to wear long sleeves because there is a cold wind. And when it rains with that wind, it's really bad. Phoenix is only bad from mid-May to mid-October. The rest of the year, it's perfect with clear skies and sunshine. April in Phoenix is nice so I don't know what you are talking about in regards to April being bad.

SF is eons ahead of Phoenix in terms of culture, jobs and education. However, in terms of recreational activities, Phoenix by far beats SF. Outside of eating and drinking, there is really nothing to do there. However, for some of us, we are not tied down to a particular company and own our business. My lifestyle is by far better than most people in SF. Look at all the people who ask about moving despite KNOWING the job market stinks. That's how much appeal Phoenix has. People are willing to move here and gamble on finding a job because this city is so desirable. There is a reason people retire here. I understand how people have to live in cities like Chicago and SF because they work in IT or the business world but I'm in medicine. I don't have to live in those cities. You have no idea how many friends and relatives from those cities who ask about jobs here because they want to live here if they can. But that's the problem, not everyone can live here. That's probably why you moved back to Chicago.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 03-31-2009 at 10:21 PM..

Old 03-31-2009, 10:50 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,955,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
As a shoutout to all you Minnesotans or Midwesterners, this is NOT the place to be!

I've been here five plus years! This place will not cater to your desires, unless you live back there for half of the year.

The desert is oh so boring. Of course, I moved here from San Francisco, where there is oh so much to do.

At any rate, beware! This place has NOTHING to do here! At any rate, I wish I could edit my title of this thread to say "DON'T COME HERE!." But I can't without asking the Mods to do so here, and I won't bother them.

When I first saw this thread I figured it had to be a few years old but I was wrong. The same song keeps playing over and over. You should have sold your home in Scottsdale a few years ago and went back to California. Are at least trying to get out?

Old 03-31-2009, 10:54 PM

430 posts, read 1,409,856 times
Default I have found people show the true colors online

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
Oh, c'mon.. it's the internet. I'm sure you are not always on your 'classiest' behavior when online
people hide behind computers and feel very comfortable showing off the not so good sides of their personality. They say things that they would never, ever say to a real persons face, so, your right in a sense.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:00 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkylady2 View Post
people hide behind computers and feel very comfortable showing off the not so good sides of their personality. They say things that they would never, ever say to a real persons face, so, your right in a sense.
Yeah, that's the best part about it

Old 03-31-2009, 11:11 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,575,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
As a shoutout to all you Minnesotans or Midwesterners, this is NOT the place to be!

I've been here five plus years! This place will not cater to your desires, unless you live back there for half of the year.

The desert is oh so boring. Of course, I moved here from San Francisco, where there is oh so much to do.

At any rate, beware! This place has NOTHING to do here! At any rate, I wish I could edit my title of this thread to say "DON'T COME HERE!." But I can't without asking the Mods to do so here, and I won't bother them.
I'm a Minnesotan. And I think on the contrary. To me, Phoenix seems like THE place to be.

I did more in my week stay in Arizona than I do in a year here in Minnesota. Other than forests, lakes, and rivers, what am I missing out on? I don't hang out in the wood (Too much Lyme's disease (http://a.abcnews.com/images/Health/nm_ticks_070614_ms.jpg - broken link)), oh, and not to mention, Army Worms are gonna be invading one of these summers, if not this summer. Here in Duluth, Lake Superior is just eye candy (like a previous poster mentioned about the Pacific in San Fran.) The Minnesota Lake Superior Coast is absolutely GORGEOUS. Look, but don't touch. Because you'll be wondering how in the heck water can be so cold on even the hottest day in July.

So thanks for the advice, but what one man may not like may end up being another man's treasure. I'm planning on moving there next year, so, if you're outta there by then, I'll just be taking your spot.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:12 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
However, in terms of recreational activities, Phoenix by far beats SF. Outside of eating and drinking, there is really nothing to do there.
One word: Sailing. The SF Bay is one of the great sailing meccas of the world. The coast is also renown for surfing and surf sailing. Also, it's 4 hours to Tahoe for some of the best skiing in the country. Flagstaff doesn't count, not in the same league. We still ski in Tahoe, but it's a 9 hour drive now. Brian Head, Utah is 5 hours for ok skiing, but is nothing compared to Tahoe. All that being said, I'm in no hurry to move back there. AZ is great!

Old 03-31-2009, 11:54 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
One word: Sailing. The SF Bay is one of the great sailing meccas of the world. The coast is also renown for surfing and surf sailing. Also, it's 4 hours to Tahoe for some of the best skiing in the country. Flagstaff doesn't count, not in the same league. We still ski in Tahoe, but it's a 9 hour drive now. Brian Head, Utah is 5 hours for ok skiing, but is nothing compared to Tahoe. All that being said, I'm in no hurry to move back there. AZ is great!
I don't know anything about sailing but I used to surf and the Bay area is one of the worst places to surf. It's only for big wave surfers because the water is cold and the waves are high and that's about 30 miles south of SF, which means most people never surf there unless they are hard core. The water is known for being cold and the beaches are rocky. The the majority of surfing in California is much further south in San Diego. For the casual surfer, you certainly don't go near the Bay area. Tahoe is 3.5-4 hours away.....without traffic but if you hop in a car and drive to Tahoe from SF, you are realistically looking at a 5 hour drive. But I agree, Tahoe is amazing. Nonetheless, Flagstaff may not be much but for a little over a 2 hour drive, it's not bad. You can realistically drive to Flagstaff and ski and return in the same day. You can't do that in SF with regard to Tahoe. In SF, Tahoe is a once a year type of trip; in Phoenix, people go every weekend to Flag during some months. Also, Big Bear is 330 miles from Phoenix which is about 5.5 hours away.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 04-01-2009 at 12:15 AM..

Old 04-01-2009, 12:49 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
In SF, Tahoe is a once a year type of trip;
Ya think!? I went every-other weekend for 20 years straight!!! In fact, in the spring, I used to ride my motorcycle up to Squaw, ski for the day, and ride back home. True story. And that was from San Jose, which was further than SF. Although, the traffic probably wasn't as bad. Best way to go skiing from SF is first thing Saturday AM. You can make it to Tahoe in 2 1/2 hours.

As for surfing, where do you think those experts come from? They learn there. I've seen plenty of folks surfing in SF, and all down the coast including Mavericks, Waddell Creek, Scott's, and lots more when you get closer to Santa Cruz. I personally spent tons of time living out of my VW bus at Waddell and various points around the bay. Not surfing, but windsurfing. I really miss those days.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:57 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,697,875 times
the comment on april weather, last year was the exact opposite of this year so far. Last year was wet, windy and hot. I thought i remember last time this year it was hot by now. This new wind in Phoenix is strange. I ask people that have been here for a while and they say this is new. It's windy every day now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area