U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-03-2009, 04:34 AM

3 posts, read 6,114 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving to AZ but I have so many questions and looking for some help.

The background is, I live in Nassau county, Long Island NY. I am married with two young children younger than 10. We are looking for a great neighborhood, I need a commute that is 45 minutes or less and would like our kids to go to a great Catholic school.

Our questions are:

1/ Does the Gilbert area (zip 85296/85297/85299) meet the criteria?

2/ What are the best Catholic schools? Here are some that we found: St. Mary-Basha Catholic School; St. Timothy Catholic Academy; Christ the King Catholic School: Queen of Peace Catholic Church; Queen of Peace School;
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Elementary School; St Daniel's Catholic Church; Saint Mary's Catholic High School; St. Theresa Catholic School

3/ How is the traffic to/from downtown phoenix? I plan to be at work between 5 and 6AM then leave between 3 and 4 PM

4/ What other areas should we consider? Chandler?

Any help will be most appreciated. Just want to make the right decision for the family, this is a big and difficult decision.

THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 11:07 AM

14,270 posts, read 17,906,857 times
If your commute is to downtown Phx, making it from Gilbert in 45 min is on the edge, even if you are leaving early enough to get to work between 5 and 6. In the afternoon, the freeways start backing up between 3 and 4- you'll likely have a harder time getting home in 45 min.

I don't think you need to move out that far to find what you want. And, the Catholic schools you mention are not in Gilbert, so your travel to take kids to school is farther. Chandler, parts of Mesa, Tempe, and Scottsdale, if you are thinking OLPH, are easier commutes.

I don't have first hand experience with the Catholic schools (I note that some you list are well into Phoenix), you've left off SS Simon and Jude in Phoenix and Seton High School in Chandler.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:07 AM

68 posts, read 216,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp1999 View Post
Thinking of moving to AZ but I have so many questions and looking for some help.

The background is, I live in Nassau county, Long Island NY. I am married with two young children younger than 10. We are looking for a great neighborhood, I need a commute that is 45 minutes or less and would like our kids to go to a great Catholic school.

Our questions are:

2/ What are the best Catholic schools? Here are some that we found: St. Mary-Basha Catholic School; St. Timothy Catholic Academy; Christ the King Catholic School: Queen of Peace Catholic Church; Queen of Peace School;
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Elementary School; St Daniel's Catholic Church; Saint Mary's Catholic High School; St. Theresa Catholic School

3/ How is the traffic to/from downtown phoenix? I plan to be at work between 5 and 6AM then leave between 3 and 4 PM

Any help will be most appreciated. Just want to make the right decision for the family, this is a big and difficult decision.

THANKS
First of all, I'm not a realtor or anything- so what I know about zip codes is purely anecdotal. 85297 is mostly the very, very newest part of Gilbert- the far southeast corner. Nice homes, newer stores and public areas- slightly higher incidence of foreclosures/rentals because these areas built up during the boom BIG TIME. 85296 is more central Gilbert- older homes, older buildings, BUT...more established area. Still foreclosures and rentals and stuff- but in 85297, there are entire subdivisions that were almost all investment property. 85296 is also Gilbert school district, whereas most of 85297 is Higley. Double check to make sure, but watch out for Higley. Google it

I cannot speak to Catholic school issues (guess if you were going that route, district wouldn't matter so much?)

My husband commutes to Phoenix (airport area) from our home in Gilbert and works similar hours to those you mentioned. It takes him about 20-25 minutes each way- not much traffic at all at these times unless there is an accident or something. If you live at the far SE corner of Gilbert, that could easily bump your commute to 35-40 minutes, though. Gilbert is a pretty large swath of land.

I love Gilbert and would always recommend Gilbert- but there are nice areas of Chandler, too. It depends on what you need and what you want to spend and how close you want to be to civilization/crime

Old 04-03-2009, 01:35 PM

9,211 posts, read 10,124,833 times
Your commute in the morning would be fine and be approximately 40 minutes at the soonest without traffic to downtown. The Gilbert/202 exchange is the eastern border of Gilbert next to a freeway and it is 23 miles from the airport. At the Gilbert/60 exchange, you are 17 miles to the airport. I would add another 15 minutes to that drive if you are going to downtown. The problem is your driveback could take you a really long time. Realistically, you are looking at an hour on your way back from downtown and if you leave at 4, it could get worse. The traffic in Phoenix starts at 3 PM and ends is really bad at 4 PM. Unlike other cities in which the traffic starts at 4:30 our traffic starts at 3. People get off work earlier here for some reason and the traffic seems to start early and end early (6-6:30). I live in West Chandler near I-10 and Ray and it takes me 40 minutes to St. Joes hospital during rush hour in the morning and an hour during rush hour (4-6) on the way back and I live much closer to downtown than anyone in Gilbert.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 04-03-2009 at 01:50 PM..

Old 04-03-2009, 04:04 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,934,752 times
You left out the best Catholic high schools, Brophy Prep, which is a Jesuit school. and Xavier, its girls' school equivalent. They are in midtown Phoenix but students come from all over the Valley.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:07 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,637,549 times
I live in 85297. It is a nice, newer area. It is right near the San Tan Mall and Williams Field Airport. There is also easy access to the 202 (San Tan Freeway).

Can't really tell you anything about Catholic schools or churches though.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:55 PM

9,211 posts, read 10,124,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
I live in 85297. It is a nice, newer area. It is right near the San Tan Mall and Williams Field Airport. There is also easy access to the 202 (San Tan Freeway).

Can't really tell you anything about Catholic schools or churches though.
I love that area. Very nice!

Old 04-03-2009, 06:26 PM

263 posts, read 711,594 times
Default Welcome to the Orange Cone State

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp1999 View Post

Our questions are:

THANKS

1- Not sure. Gilbert is small, but I think the 85233 area is one of the better areas in terms of established neighborhoods, stores/malls, proximity to freeway , schools, etc. Just don't move to Baseline and Stapely/Cooper area where the wally world is, or you'll regret it for the traffic there is just plain nasty. I think if you stay west of Greenfield, east of mesa drive/mcqueen, south of guadalupe and north of williams field, you won't regret it.

2- I don't know about Catholic schools.

3 - If you wake up that early it doesn't matter where you drive from. However, driving back is a different matter. You can look at google maps to see the different free ways and which cities they go through (mesa, gilbert, etc). Tempe is really the best choice for being sort of inbetween work and family considerations...somewhat family friendly and pretty close to work (depends on what you do of course). Gilbert, I think, is the best place to raise a family though. If driving to work is the main focus, go for S/SW Scottsdale, West Mesa (mostly icky in my opinion), or Tempe (many college students with ASU being there fyi). If family is focus, I'd say Gilbert should be first choice, then somewhere nice in Scottsdale. I would never consider living in the west valley unless my job dictated me too, but it never has, so I don't mention those places. East Valley bias. ;-]

4 - I think 3 answers this one.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:03 AM

3 posts, read 6,114 times
Thanks for the terrific opinions, definitely helpful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area