Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 05:47 PM

9 posts, read 20,932 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from NW in July and are looking for advice on west side areas. We have young children 4 & 2 and desire all the amenities that young families need: parks, great schools, pools, etc. I have heard that North Peoria is nice and that most of Surprise is also. I will be working on Camelback & the 101, with a stay at home spouse. Any recommendations/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 12:29 AM

81 posts, read 346,368 times
Camelback and 101 is so central in Phoenix. Why would you choose the NW part of the Valley? There are plenty of more established areas with better access to lifestyle amenities, IMHO. East Valley, like Chandler (I don't live there) are very nice and have close access to 101, much better schools, and community activities. They are more mature and have larger tax bases to provide the amenities families like.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:54 AM

307 posts, read 954,002 times
Lightbulb May sound bias

I live in Surprise - so this may sound bias. I feel Surprise is very kid friendly and to be fair, so is Peoria. My wife and I moved to Surprise in 1998 and have enjoyed it ever since.

I can recommend Surprise!

There is still a lot more growth to be had in both Surprise and Peoria. Both areas have the "more desirable sections" and "less desirable" sections with city limits.

You can always rent in one or the other to find out if you develop a preference for yourself.

Cheers!

Old 04-04-2009, 12:02 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransporterG View Post
Camelback and 101 is so central in Phoenix. Why would you choose the NW part of the Valley? There are plenty of more established areas with better access to lifestyle amenities, IMHO. East Valley, like Chandler (I don't live there) are very nice and have close access to 101, much better schools, and community activities. They are more mature and have larger tax bases to provide the amenities families like.
When is the last time you visited Surprise?

Surprise is very kid friendly and has a ton of amenities. The Stadium village area is awesome...top notch...

Old 04-04-2009, 12:37 PM

587 posts, read 1,419,844 times
I would just make sure to research the schools really well using a site like GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community.

We have some great private schools here, but great public schools you will not find; Phoenix leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to schools, unfortunately. We rank at the very bottom of the country in this area.

That being said, Surprise is very kid-friendly as far as amenities go, but can be somewhat hard to commute from, as there aren't too many ways in and out, so traffic during rush hour can be insane in that area (not to mention the regular rush hour traffic on the freeway).

Good luck!

Old 04-04-2009, 12:42 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,483,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransporterG View Post
I'm guessing that she/he will be working on the Western part of the 101 where it intersects Camelback. If you're right and I'm wrong the West Valley is the wrong place for them.

I would recommend Peoria/N. Glendale. There are plenty of nice communities within a few miles of the 101. So you will be close to shopping at Arrowhead and a fast commute. Surprise is nice, just a bit farther out.

Last edited by roundball; 04-04-2009 at 01:15 PM..

Old 04-04-2009, 03:22 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,297 times
There are some fine areas in either city. Both are large, spread out, up and coming suburban places. There are a lot of similarities. Lived in Peoria for many years, so I'm a little biased toward it, but really neither are my cup of tea. For what you're looking for, however, I don't think you can go far wrong with either location. Plenty of new schools, lots of new commercial development, plenty of new parks, within 20 minutes of White Tanks Regional Park or Lake Pleasant.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:35 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,997,527 times
I believe Surprise is home to more YOUNG families. The combination of safety and affordability will do that. Where as, Peoria, while still being safe, is a little less affordable. So families have older children, and such.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:10 PM

587 posts, read 1,419,844 times
I will also suggest taking a look at the Goodyear/Litchfield Park area (and not just because I live there ).

The reason being is the Litchfield Park school district. It is probably the best one on the west side and one of the better ones in the Phoenix area.

We're only about 10 minutes from Camelback in the 101 (that's where I get on the 101 when I use it) and we live in an extremely nice area of northern Goodyear and are in that school district.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:26 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
Surprise and Peoria are both nice. Commute times may be bad or good depending on what you are used to. I don't see it as such a bad commute to get to that part of the 101. Many will say it is a terrible commute. It just depends on what you are used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area