Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 11:47 AM

523 posts, read 937,489 times

Advertisements

Almost no one likes the heat in Phoenix, and it does get very bad. Usually by the time August comes around it is rubbing everyone's nerves raw. It is basically the "winter" from May to early October" where everyone tries to stay inside and everyone shuts down.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:36 PM

99 posts, read 259,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Jdub

A lot of people who move here come from the upper midwest so they are not used to heat in general and for them, the experience can be overwhelming. I grew up in LA and it was hot there as well although it wasn't as hot as Phoenix. But I grew up playing competitive sports such as soccer and football so I never had trouble tolerating heat because I had to adjust to it as a kid. For others who didn't grow up in warm weather or play competitive sports, it's always going to seem tougher for them. I don't know your background but if its similar to mine, I don't think you will have a problem.

And I know this isn't PC but a person's "body habitus" will affect how well they deal with the heat. The more overweight and obese one is, the more challenging it will be for them to deal with excess heat. Adipose or fat acts like an insulating layer. That isn't to say that thin people can't find heat to be uncomfortable but it's just that overweight or obese people stand a greater chance of being uncomfortable with regard to high temps.
It has a lot to do with personal tolerance. There is a major adjustment which needs to take place and if they can't handle it then a hot weather place like Phoenix probably won't work well. People need to experience a full 6 month summer here to really see if they can stand it.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:53 PM

932 posts, read 1,963,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakfreedom807 View Post
Highest Temperature The highest temperature recorded in Arizona is 128°, Fahrenheit. This record high was recorded on June 29, 1994 at Lake Havasu City. Lowest Temperature The lowest temperature in Arizona, -40°, was recorded on January 7, 1971 at Hawley Lake. Average Temperature Monthly average temperatures range from a high of 105.0 degrees to a low of 38.1 degrees.
Several times during the summer. Arizona will also have the highest and lowest temperatures in the country too.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:53 PM

391 posts, read 788,137 times
I think an AZ person would have suffer a lot more in our winter cold than we suffer in your summer heat. Heck I've been down there for a week in sept, Aug and june. I had no problems with the heat.

AZ person people would never come to winter in Saskatchewan to escape the heat of AZ.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:59 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PheenixJobless View Post
It has a lot to do with personal tolerance. There is a major adjustment which needs to take place and if they can't handle it then a hot weather place like Phoenix probably won't work well. People need to experience a full 6 month summer here to really see if they can stand it.
I agree it's a matter of personal tolerance. However, I'm not sure where you get the idea we have a six month summer.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:19 PM

860 posts, read 2,716,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2AZSusan View Post
I have heard they theory that some people gain weight when moving here because it takes more energy (and calories) to keep a body warm in colder temps than it does to keep it cool in warmer temps.

Does anyone know if there is any proven truth to that?

Personally I think it's all the poolside margaritas and chips that cause people to gain weight when they move here.
I have to say I have gained 10 lbs since moving here. I cannot figure it out. I has stairs and basement in my old house, single level here. I average 1 -2 margaritas every other month.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:03 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,779,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
I have to say I have gained 10 lbs since moving here. I cannot figure it out. I has stairs and basement in my old house, single level here. I average 1 -2 margaritas every other month.
You need to drink more margaritas

Old 04-16-2011, 09:05 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
I agree it's a matter of personal tolerance. However, I'm not sure where you get the idea we have a six month summer.
I also think we have six months of summer here. I agree it's a matter of personal tolerance; that, in addition to what one is accustomed to, will influence one's perception of how many months of it we usually have here.

For someone who considers 80's summer temps, (or - like me - who used to go to the beach when got into the 70's), it's easy to understand.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:24 AM

523 posts, read 937,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
I have gained quite a bit of weight since moving here too. I think it has to do with how much time I have to spend in my car to get anywhere. My social circle has also decreased dramatically, so I find myself sitting on a the computer a lot of the time.

I think the summers here do make people want to stay inside and not be active, so I don't think it's just you and I.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:41 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,892,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
I have gained quite a bit of weight since moving here too. I think it has to do with how much time I have to spend in my car to get anywhere. My social circle has also decreased dramatically, so I find myself sitting on a the computer a lot of the time.

I think the summers here do make people want to stay inside and not be active, so I don't think it's just you and I.
You can exercise in summer if you think water. There's two rivers(The Verde and Salt) on the East side that flow all year. There's Lake Pleasant on the West side, Bartlett and Horseshoe to the Northeast, and Saguaro, Canyon,Apache and Roosevelt to the East. Those are just the bodies of water within an hour of downtown. In most places in America a half hour or hour drive to the lake is pretty normal, not to mention all the pools in town.

Biking, whether mountain or street, is fine in morning, sunset, or night. There's wind while you do it. It feels good.

One time I asked a guy from New Hampshire if he stayed inside all winter and he told me he did until he got into Winter sports. Mabye you can't play basketball outside on a July afternoon but there's options.

Night hiking is fun too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area