Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 10:08 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,624,616 times

Advertisements

Local news has finally started paying attention to what is happening to Phoenix. I didn't realize it was making news even in foreign countries. This really is going to affect tourist business, hotels and restaurants are going to suffer. The latest T-shirt says "Tourist - Don't Shoot."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 10:13 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Ignore...nothing to see here folks. Another stupid kidnapping thread. How is this thread or topic any different than what is already been posted in the past. You havent even posted a link or referred to a specific report. Did you just wake up and decide you wanted to vent about Phoenix? Let this thread die

Old 04-26-2009, 10:15 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
Lol! Yea, where can I get this t-shirt? Maybe I'll wear it for protection. lol
More concerned with the "Swine Flu" in connection with Mexico than the cartel. But maybe I'll go back to that when the flu epidemic is over. lol
Always something out here in the desert! lol It's a wild and woolly ride my friend!

Old 04-26-2009, 10:17 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Ignore...nothing to see here folks. Another kidnapping thread
Ha ha, why do you say this on every post you don't like? It's beginning to be something I expect on any "hot" topic. lol
Do you have some special "inside" news on the thread "high jackers"?
It seems to be of concern to a lot of people, I don't consider it "Phoenix bashing". Just a hot topic right now, it's all over the news.
Why wouldn't people ask about it?
As far as it being a repeat, so are the weather and scorpion questions. But they still get asked weekly! I think you're wasting your time AZriver. But, go ahead, I'm getting use to it. lol

Old 04-26-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Ha ha, why do you say this on every post you don't like? It's beginning to be something I expect on any "hot" topic. lol
Do you have some special "inside" news on the thread "high jackers"?
It seems to be of concern to a lot of people, I don't consider it "Phoenix bashing". Just a hot topic right now, it's all over the news.
Why wouldn't people ask about it?
As far as it being a repeat, so are the weather and scorpion questions. But they still get asked weekly! I think you're wasting your time AZriver. But, go ahead, I'm getting use to it. lol
Actually, I only say this about threads that have been discussed several times in the past. What is he asking? It seems to me that he is making a general comment about a topic that has been discussed ad nauseum. What piece of information did you gather from this that was so unique from the multiple threads that was discussed in the past aside from t-shirts with catchy phrases? Yes, people ask about weather and scorpions but the difference is their intent. Those are people who are considering moving here and have specific questions. Their intent isn't to inflame the forum but to ask a question even if that question has been asked repeatedly. This is just another "vent against Phoenix" thread. It seems the only people who defend threads like this are those with similar aspirations or who enjoy bashing Phoenix as well.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 04-26-2009 at 10:59 AM..

Old 04-26-2009, 10:56 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,765,229 times
These type of thread get old, and its the media hyping it. They make it seem like people are being kidnapped left and right walking down the street. As we know that isnt the case. Here is the article the OP who is trolling was probably talking about

Cartel crimes hurting Valley's reputation as tourist destination

Old 04-26-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZnative4Life View Post
These type of thread get old, and its the media hyping it. They make it seem like people are being kidnapped left and right walking down the street. As we know that isnt the case. Here is the article the OP who is trolling was probably talking about

Cartel crimes hurting Valley's reputation as tourist destination
How do they know the decreased tourism isn't due to the poor economy? It just seems like a sensationalist article that is making a rather large assumption as to why people are not coming here. That article failed to reference evidence that specifically attributed decreased tourism to the perceived kidnapping threat. Tourism is down in a lot of cities not just Phoenix but since we have the kidnappings, it makes for great news to suggest that is the reason people are not coming here. For example, Las Vegas is hurting right now. You can stay at the Wynn for less than $150 a night if you book 2 nights. A year ago, you couldn't get rooms for less than $200 and it was usually packed.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:31 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,380 times
kidnappings seem to be illegal versus illegal. Drug crackdowns seem to just affect druggies and seller/smuggler versus seller/smuggler. So far so good. But...I would much rather have a government that fears the people than the people in fear of the government. And I think the tide has turned with Arizona state government as something to be feared, notwithstanding a high amount of libertarian people here in the state. We tried to get rid of victimless crime laws a few years ago. The court struck that down like a dictatorship. Eventually our cries will be more urgent and more demanding and we will prevail. In fact I vote against all judge incumbents when possible. I invite you all to do the same.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:49 PM

38 posts, read 84,420 times
Agree with Azriverfan, the article is opinion, not news.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:17 PM

263 posts, read 1,079,133 times
I read about this happening in Tucson, and of course Mexico, but never heard of it in Phoenix.

"Although the 725 kidnappings-for-ransom reported in Phoenix during the past two years have been mostly bad guys abducting other bad guys from drophouses full of smuggled immigrants and drugs, congressional leaders are publicly warning that that could change."

The problem with that stat is that yes, it's alarming (what the media wants), but we don't have anything to compare it to. So we don't eally know if it's high or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area